PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Yazmeen
09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
And one more thing... I hate to disappoint all of the MKF ubers, but MK did not even take their beautiful purple flower arrangement with her after the competition. It was still in the locker room after the venue had cleared out. Saw it with my own eyes....

You just pointed out a jarring reality about uber UNreality. I'm sure Michelle appreciated the flowers, but that's likely it, simply appreciated them, didn't think they were anything particularly special vs other gifts, accolades she received from fans. However, I'm sure if some MKF ubers ever heard of this, they refused to believe it because it was a gift from THEM, her most special, most important fans. And that it the ultimate crux of uber-fandom I just don't get. Why do these fans think they have this special connection with the skater that elevates them to some particular height that is above that of others who consider themselves fans? Why do they believe they are almost the skater's guardian's against any criticism and must "defend" him/her at all costs? What creates this mentality of adoration? (I still cringe remembering the adult male fan who created an altar in his house with a pair of Tara's skates and pink silk roses and chased her down for autographs at one of her appearances at"LimitedTOO," a shop for little girls and tweens). I just don't get it.
'
And I have to admit I had to laugh after the outpouring of "Tosca Purple" at 2004 Nationals to see Michelle skate her long program in a coral-colored dress...

RD
09-08-2010, 01:47 AM
^ :lol: You're right. I don't get it...

Then again, once your level of interest in a person gets above a certain threshold, your reality becomes distorted and you start imagining that you have a connection (however implicit) with said person. It builds over time, but there is usually a catalyst, a sort of "key" event that leads to it. Once you cross that line, there is no turning back. You have gone off the deep end...

It is this illusion of a connection that doesn't exist that can lead you to do some crazy, stalkerish things...that's why I ALWAYS try to keep my feet on the ground. I wish more people strove to do that.

skatingfan5
09-08-2010, 02:02 AM
You just pointed out a jarring reality about uber UNreality. I'm sure Michelle appreciated the flowers, but that's likely it, simply appreciated them, didn't think they were anything particularly special vs other gifts, accolades she received from fans. However, I'm sure if some MKF ubers ever heard of this, they refused to believe it because it was a gift from THEM, her most special, most important fans. Perhaps a few feel this way, but I really doubt that very many fall into the "MKF uber" category (as distinct from mere MK ubers?). As to why people think they have some "special connection" with the object of their fandom -- wishful thinking, I would suppose -- possibly that imagined connection fulfills some need that is otherwise unmet in their lives. But this is just speculation on my part. As to your questions about why uber fans feel the need to defend their skater against any and all criticism -- if one identifies so strongly with another, then criticism of that person might be experienced as criticism against oneself. Defending the object of one's fandom is defending one's sense of self against these perceived attacks. That's my nickel's worth of hack/quack armchair psychology. :P
What creates this mentality of adoration? (I still cringe remembering the adult male fan who created an altar in his house with a pair of Tara's skates and pink silk roses and chased her down for autographs at one of her appearances at"LimitedTOO," a shop for little girls and tweens). I just don't get it.If you are describing whom I think you are describing, I'm not sure that "adoration" is really the word that best described his fixation on Tara. :shuffle:
And I have to admit I had to laugh after the outpouring of "Tosca Purple" at 2004 Nationals to see Michelle skate her long program in a coral-colored dress...It WAS a gorgeous dress, wasn't it? :)

Simone411
09-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Perhaps a few feel this way, but I really doubt that very many fall into the "MKF uber" category (as distinct from mere MK ubers?). As to why people think they have some "special connection" with the object of their fandom -- wishful thinking, I would suppose -- possibly that imagined connection fulfills some need that is otherwise unmet in their lives. But this is just speculation on my part. As to your questions about why uber fans feel the need to defend their skater against any and all criticism -- if one identifies so strongly with another, then criticism of that person might be experienced as criticism against oneself. Defending the object of one's fandom is defending one's sense of self against these perceived attacks. That's my nickel's worth of hack/quack armchair psychology. :PIf you are describing whom I think you are describing, I'm not sure that "adoration" is really the word that best described his fixation on Tara. :shuffle:It WAS a gorgeous dress, wasn't it? :)

I agree that not very many fall into that "MKF uber" category but there were definitely a few that did belong in what I would call worse than "uber". I received a few weird PMs when I first became a member of MKF. Some of those PMs were creepy. There were about 4 PMs I received where these members mentioned that it took a long time to become part of the "group" and I would have to earn that "priviledge".

I PMd a couple of those members back and told them that I had no intention of ever joining their "group" and not to hold their breath for very long. I told them I didn't join MKF to become a member of a "group" and could care less what their "group" did. I was ignored quite a bit after I PMd those members back. I think those certain members wanted me to leave after that but it just made me determined to stay around even more because it irritated them.

I'm just glad that none of the rest of those members were like those four because there are some very nice normal members at MKF that I'm friends with.

Anita18
09-08-2010, 03:22 AM
The dagobytes were a group of Michelle fans who wanted to keep Michelle's music secret. I don't think they had anything to do with the medal issue. They did go to other boards, looking for signs that someone might reveal MK's music selections, and they had a sekret forum where they talked about ways to sidetrack discussions about Michelle's music so no one would give it away.
That reminds me of 4chan members who google "Justin Bieber + syphilis" so that search term shows up on Google's autofill. :rofl:

I saw a lot of that going on. Some of the fans did have those derogatory signs. The booing and shouting insults started happening after the Hornets were ahead in the game. It was even worse toward the end of the game. The shouting & insults were so loud that I couldn't hear my friend/coworker that was sitting right next to me. Needless to say, we got out of there as fast as possible.

I'm so glad that you were able to get a section that's not quite over the top like that.
I think it's just what you're used to. I attended a Division I collegiate volleyball game to cheer on my sister's friend who was on the team, and it's normal for the players to get seriously heckled by the opposing team's fans when they're serving. My sister said that's normal, the players just learn to tune it out.

I know we're not really supposed to talk rep here, but have you checked your level? :shuffle:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That is comedy gold right there!

And one more thing... I hate to disappoint all of the MKF ubers, but MK did not even take their beautiful purple flower arrangement with her after the competition. It was still in the locker room after the venue had cleared out. Saw it with my own eyes....
I don't blame her - live flowers are really hard to transport!

As to your questions about why uber fans feel the need to defend their skater against any and all criticism -- if one identifies so strongly with another, then criticism of that person might be experienced as criticism against oneself. Defending the object of one's fandom is defending one's sense of self against these perceived attacks. That's my nickel's worth of hack/quack armchair psychology. :P
I totally agree with this part. :)

immoimeme
09-08-2010, 04:18 AM
RED SCREEN OF DEATH

I has it :rollin:

http://www.cafepress.com/+red_screen_of_death_coaster,3547238

Theatregirl1122
09-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Well, I just want people to know that I, personally, have never heckled a member of an opposing sports team at any sporting event, collegiate or otherwise. For example I did NOT get the finger from an opposing Lacrosse player. (In my defense, we didn't say anything especially rude. We just talked at him specifically for the entire game. I think he got tired of us.)

Allen
09-08-2010, 04:30 AM
That reminds me of 4chan members who google "Justin Bieber + syphilis" so that search term shows up on Google's autofill. :rofl:

I think it's just what you're used to. I attended a Division I collegiate volleyball game to cheer on my sister's friend who was on the team, and it's normal for the players to get seriously heckled by the opposing team's fans when they're serving. My sister said that's normal, the players just learn to tune it out.

I have to say, the Bieber thing is pretty freakin' hilarious.

I've found that behavior like you described is pretty much the norm in Division 1 athletics. I guess it varies from sport to sport. I grew up going to ACC Basketball games and let's just say that there's not much a Duke fan can do now that would shock me :). As a 9 year old I got an eye full of boobies at a game that wasn't televised, so everyone went crazy during foul shots.

The worst I've seen was at a Div. 1 gymnastics meet between the top two teams in the nation at the time and a person was screaming fall at the top of his lungs while the opposing team was on beam. One did in fact fall and he erupted in huge laughter and applause, I couldn't believe no one asked him to leave, it was very uncomfortable.

Bev Johnston
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I don't blame her - live flowers are really hard to transport!

Absolutely. And she would've needed a dump truck to haul all of the flowers and stuff she received if she wanted to keep it.

There were also some gifts from a "person of interest" that the venue purposefully did not give her. I don't think they wanted to freak her out unnecessarily by putting her "stalkers" in her face.

Actually, being behind the scenes at that competition gave me a new appreciation for MK. Security was tight around her (she even used a private entrance in and out of the press conference room than the other skaters). She handled the pressure of all of the fans and attention with class and managed to maintain enough focus to skate beautifully through it all.

RD
09-08-2010, 05:57 PM
That's the thing about giving gifts like that...you spend so much time and effort (and/or money) creating them...you want the person to truly appreciate it, not just have it be one of many other items- and ultimately wind up in the trash (yes, it's harsh, but more or less realistic). IMHO, gifts should really be reserved for family and close friends.

I see one exception, however, and that is when a large group of fans comes together to create a sort of scrapbook- I think that's OK, as long as it looks good, it's presented on behalf of the whole fanbase, and there aren't any "dupes". Still, one must keep in mind that it might not be kept forever.

But folks, think about it- if someone as high-profile as MK kept EVERY SINGLE GIFT she received...all those flowers and stuffed animals from the competitions, the stuff her fans give to her...a warehouse wouldn't even be big enough. :lol: That's why none of this surprises me.. If I were to venture a guess, I would think the only "gift" that she still has is the MKF platinum medal. (Who knows, though...)

Anita18
09-08-2010, 07:28 PM
That's the thing about giving gifts like that...you spend so much time and effort (and/or money) creating them...you want the person to truly appreciate it, not just have it be one of many other items- and ultimately wind up in the trash (yes, it's harsh, but more or less realistic). IMHO, gifts should really be reserved for family and close friends.

I see one exception, however, and that is when a large group of fans comes together to create a sort of scrapbook- I think that's OK, as long as it looks good, it's presented on behalf of the whole fanbase, and there aren't any "dupes". Still, one must keep in mind that it might not be kept forever.

But folks, think about it- if someone as high-profile as MK kept EVERY SINGLE GIFT she received...all those flowers and stuffed animals from the competitions, the stuff her fans give to her...a warehouse wouldn't even be big enough. :lol: That's why none of this surprises me.. If I were to venture a guess, I would think the only "gift" that she still has is the MKF platinum medal. (Who knows, though...)
I think you really would have to consider transportation costs, which is why flowers and stuffed animals are probably a no-go if you actually wanted the skater to keep them. I remember reading about Yagudin keeping a gold bracelet that Japanese fans bought him, and I wouldn't be surprised about that - jewelry is expensive (so you guilt-trip them into keeping it ;) ) and easy to take around with you.

numbers123
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
While I think that it is a nice gesture to throw stuffies and flowers on the ice to show appreciation and love for your favorite skater, fans have to understand that unless you are a lower rank skater whose presents are most likely from their parents and/or skating club it is extremely unlikely that they will be able to keep them based upon the sheer number of them. And if they do donate them to a children's hospital or children's charity, that is a better use of the gifts than to toss them.

And I was at one competition where a Michael Weiss NON FAN yelled a Go Michael or something like that just before he was to do a quad attempt. The arena was a little quiet at the time and the non fan sitting in one of the few couple of rows could be hear all of the lower bowl seating. And the Non Fan did applaud the fall. As a nonfan of Michael Weiss myself, I was very uncomfortable with the show of poor sportsmanship.

manleywoman
09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
And I was at one competition where a Michael Weiss NON FAN yelled a Go Michael or something like that just before he was to do a quad attempt. The arena was a little quiet at the time and the non fan sitting in one of the few couple of rows could be hear all of the lower bowl seating. And the Non Fan did applaud the fall. As a nonfan of Michael Weiss myself, I was very uncomfortable with the show of poor sportsmanship.

That's horrible.

Simone411
09-09-2010, 12:13 AM

That is downright pathetic.

WindSpirit
09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
It's been fun to reminisce about the old times but when something is being re-lived as if it happened yesterday, when it actually happened years and years ago, with almost same emotions and not much of a perspective we should have had by now, it ceases to be fun anymore. Meh.