PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

jeffisjeff
09-07-2010, 03:37 AM
The dagobytes were a group of Michelle fans who wanted to keep Michelle's music secret. I don't think they had anything to do with the medal issue. They did go to other boards, looking for signs that someone might reveal MK's music selections, and they had a sekret forum where they talked about ways to sidetrack discussions about Michelle's music so no one would give it away.

This was before 2004, like maybe 1999 or 2000, but one year, in the run-up to the season, some MKFers decided to be the protector of Michelle's music. So when someone would post a rumor about her music at MKF, they would get together and bump down the thread, by posting inane and useless comments in dozens and dozens of other threads. It was all so :rolleyes: to me, who was new to message boards and really was a serious MK fan. I didn't care at all about the whole music issue since I really know very little about music and didn't generally recognize the pieces mentioned in the rumors, and I just couldn't understand why some folks felt they had been designated the sacred protectors of her music, with special rights and responsibilities. So, my first post ever on a message board (of any kind) served to bump up a thread with a music rumor, which this group had worked hours to bump down. I guess that was kind of trollish, and I suppose some would say that makes me worse than the ubers, but to me it was :lol: . And I don't really get how purposely bumping something down is so much superior to purposely bumping something up.

RD
09-07-2010, 04:15 AM
There are crazy fans in all sports. And what is considered "crazy behavior" will differ from sport to sport. For example, it's completely routine to boo the visiting team at a home game, maybe even have a few signs up. But what happens if a fanatic crowd boos a certain skater(s)? Not so routine so they'll stand out as "crazies".

I think the award goes to the European soccer (football) fans though.

Really
09-07-2010, 04:30 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole idea of 'keeperships' on any of the dedicated fan sites was sorta creepy...

kimkom
09-07-2010, 04:32 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole idea of 'keeperships' on any of the dedicated fan sites was sorta creepy...

I know we're not really supposed to talk rep here, but have you checked your level? :shuffle:

Nomad
09-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I know we're not really supposed to talk rep here, but have you checked your level? :shuffle:

I just checked mine. :eek: I am not a bird!
Or a crazed JW uber...

sk8er1964
09-07-2010, 04:41 AM

I'm the keeper of Johnny's extensions. :shuffle: It happened because I was briefly a member of his fan forum and mentioned that that was one of the things I liked best about him. This was just after his first US Nats win.

Really
09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
I know we're not really supposed to talk rep here, but have you checked your level? :shuffle:Friggin' :sekret: Rep Kreator!!!! :lynch:

(gotta love the irony, eh?)

Really
09-07-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm the keeper of Johnny's extensions. :shuffle: It happened because I was briefly a member of his fan forum and mentioned that that was one of the things I liked best about him. This was just after his first US Nats win.*snicker* The first thing I thought of was, "When did Johnny have hair extensions???"

:rofl:

alhrayth
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
*snicker* The first thing I thought of was, "When did Johnny have hair extensions???"

:lol: It took me Really's post to realize what "extensions" actually meant... the first thing I thought was "I wanna see a photo of Johnny with hair extensions!!" LOL

sk8er1964
09-07-2010, 03:00 PM
:drama:

Haterzzzzz!

(:lol: I never thought of hair!)

quarkiki2
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
This thread makes me feel old... I remember ALL of this: the uberfans, the board rivalries, the bannings...

I have never been banned anywhere. At least, not to my knowledge. Anyone remember me being banned?

Bev Johnston
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I was a MK uber from 97-99 or so. Then, I grew up a little and realized that it was just skating. I remember at Nationals in 2004 when everyone totally freaked out after her free skate and threw thousands of stuffed animals on the ice...all I could think was how empty the program was and feel really underwhelmed.

The MK fans were really varied at that championship. Some were great (I had some really fun ones sitting by me), but there were several nearby that were actually booing skaters or they would get up in the middle of other skaters programs, like they thought they were snubbing them or something. On the other hand, a huge number of people only showed up to see MK skate. A couple of guys behind me showed up during the warm up for the next to last group and when they realized it wasn't MKs group, they got up and left and didn't come back until maybe 5 minutes before she was supposed to skate. I kept thinking, why on Earth would you pay that much for a ticket and watch maybe 2 skaters skate.

Well, the Panthers/Rams NFL playoff game was a close one, in overtime, and going on at the same time as the skating, so maybe some of those guys were running back and forth to the lounge to check the scores? Personally, I was kind of bored with ladiezzz skating back in those days, and I only went to my seat for the final group. I had fun bantering with the Panthers fans in the bar, though.

I don't recall any inflammatory banners in 2004, either. I do know that venue management asked people to move some of their banners because they were blocking the view of some seats.

I hope we weren't some of the obnoxious fans that people remember... My friend that I was sitting with was an MK fan - not over the top, but a fan just the same. Her husband, just to be ornery, decided to root for Sasha. He was trying to throw one of those free stuffed cars to Sasha after her short, and my friend was trying to stop him. They wound up spilling a soda. It was kind of embarrassing, but they were really just joking around. No real skater hate involved!

And one more thing... I hate to disappoint all of the MKF ubers, but MK did not even take their beautiful purple flower arrangement with her after the competition. It was still in the locker room after the venue had cleared out. Saw it with my own eyes....

manleywoman
09-07-2010, 04:07 PM

I agree 100%.

Manleywoman = keeper of Really's skating fandom.

skatingfan5
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Another wild issue at MKF was the platinum medal for Michelle after the SLC Olympics. What started out as a sweet idea to give her an award (and donate a sizeable amount of money to her favorite charity) blew up into a huge issue when it came to exactly what to do and especially how to present the award (and who could be there when it happened). No joke, there were people on the board suggesting that the award should be given to Michelle on the Tonight Show with a bunch of MKFers in attendance...I'm not kidding. Then there was a major argument about who all should get to be there when she was given it, with major hurt feelings over this. Heck, I remember one particularly scary uber who started her own board over the whole issue because she wasn't given a major role. In the end, the medal was presented by the board moderator and a few others backstage after a COI performance in a very low key manner.

Ugh. I remember that. Then one guy who felt slighted wrote a letter to MK's agent. Same incident?

Back to the MKF medal for a moment- who originally came up with the idea? And was that person in attendance at the ceremony? I can't remember.

It was a MKF poster and somebody who thought it was just a good idea for fans to do something for Michelle after that stressful season. No, the poster wasn't in attendance, but that poster didn't care.

I only remember two posters going extremely off the deep-end with the way the medal presentation was handled. One seemed to have psychological issues and had her own EZboard after being banned from MKF and another person posts here and is a big fan of Yu-Na Kim.

There are two particular posters at MKF who have always scared me. Now don't get me wrong...I know I am probably considered an uber...but these two particular people are...scary. Like...their obession with Michelle was/is just downright abnormal. For the most part though, I like everyone there.About the MKF medal project -- it did start out with very good intentions and when all was said and done, I think that it turned out very well, with a very nice $10,000 contribution to CMN given to Michelle in a low key way. IIRC, the person who was most vocal in wanting the presentation be high profile and televised on the Tonight Show, was the same rather off-balanced person who later withdrew her involvement in both the project (including demanding a refund of her $ contribution) and from MKF (and then started her own forum, with the paranoid detective work). She also had originally wanted it to be on Oprah and had written the show's producers many, many times telling them to book Michelle. I believe she also wrote to Shep multiple times -- and I think may have caused them to be on their guard (since she had met Michelle at an event once before). She was an MKF uber who actually did have me a bit scared. :slinkaway

Theatregirl1122
09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
*snicker* The first thing I thought of was, "When did Johnny have hair extensions???"

Thank god I am not the only one who thought this. I was like "you told the Johnny Ubers that his hair was fake and they welcomed you?"