PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

NancyNC
09-05-2010, 10:57 PM
If you weren't there than how can you report that information?

I don't remember for sure, but she probably heard it from me, and a few others that post here at FSU who have chatted back and forth with her over the years.

GaPeach
09-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I was banned from a site...I didn't play their game. It was all cool because after getting banned was when I got the really good stuff (videos, pictures and encounters)and had no place to share but with close friends. :P

Yazmeen
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
This is the truth.

OMG, I had forgotten about one other thing that developed out of the medal story - that fan with issues formed her own EZBoard because a poster at MKF went off on her in a few posts over the medal plans, and it really drove her crazy. She formed her own board where she spent most of her time researching out other posters to try and find out who that fan at MKF was, creating wild conspiracy threads and accusing other fans of using multiple board names to hide the fact that they were the evil fan who went after her. She must have accused at least a couple dozen people of being that person. :wideeyes:

The Yu-Nabots have nothing on some fans from the "old days!!!!!" :lol:

Simone411
09-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I wasn't around or a member of MKF when the medal presentation occurred. I also wasn't around when something else happened but heard bits & pieces about it after I joined in March of 2003. I never knew exactly what it was about. I remember it was like a group of members and they were called the dagobytes or something like that. I believe there was a big fuss or fight about it and things finally calmed down.

There were a lot things going on back then and I just wondered if the dagobytes were like an organization that had infiltrated the message board. :lol:

Prancer
09-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Isn't all of this basically board dragging? If not, what exactly is considered board dragging? I get confused about what is and what isn't.

Board dragging refers to having a fight or issue on another board and bringing it here to battle it out. If you get banned at another forum, don't come here and whine about it; take it up with the admins at that board. Fighting with someone somewhere else? Stick to fighting them there rather than importing it here.

I'm not sure why talking about things that happened 10 years ago with MKF--and not even necessarily on MKF, just involving MKF posters and how they behaved in a public place--is any more board dragging than talking about the demise of FSW, however.:confused: Or why some find it so hard to believe that some people were indeed badly behaved or that those people were just those people and not some representive of the forum as a whole.:confused:

There were a lot things going on back then and I just wondered if the dagobytes were like an organization that had infiltrated the message board. :lol:

The dagobytes were a group of Michelle fans who wanted to keep Michelle's music secret. I don't think they had anything to do with the medal issue. They did go to other boards, looking for signs that someone might reveal MK's music selections, and they had a sekret forum where they talked about ways to sidetrack discussions about Michelle's music so no one would give it away.

Spinner
09-06-2010, 10:54 PM
and they had a sekret forum where they talked about ways to sidetrack discussions about Michelle's music so no one would give it away.
That's some serious bat-sh*t crazy.

alhrayth
09-06-2010, 11:31 PM
and they had a sekret forum where they talked about ways to sidetrack discussions about Michelle's music so no one would give it away.

:eek: weird... scary, actually... those are more than ubers! :wideeyes:

RD
09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Ah, the infamous Dagobytes...wow, totally forgot about them. Seriously, the so-called "Yunabots" and Maobots (at least the ones on here) have absolutely NOTHING on some of these fanatical groups from back in the day...

Prancer
09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I think that most of the things people consider "scary uber behavior" are really just passions run amok because of group reinforcement; the smaller and more passionate the group, the more bizarre the behavior appears to others. It's hard to maintain perspective when everyone you know is just as crazy as you are, if not more so.

If you want to see a really scary version of this, hang out on some political boards. Splinter groups and subcultures tend to breed crazy behavior. Skating fans are pretty tame for the most part; how many of us know people who think we are insane just for going to competitions?

nits
09-07-2010, 02:01 AM
I think the anti-MKers that went to the MKF all those years ago to stir things up were just as bad as the uber MKFers though. They took great pleasure in trying to tell posters how to post- which skaters should be off limits to criticism, and basically stalked certain MKF members and moderators. This group of internet trolls tried very hard to take over MKF most were eventually banned, some for more serious matters, but the reasons were valid. I think it was during the time that the National '04 rumors were created and people decided it was MKF's responsiblity to reprimand certain people that attended Nationals, whether they were members of MKF or not, and despite the fact that MKF didn't buy anyone's ticket and wasn't responsible for anyone's behaviors. Like I said, it was a crazy time. Some people take skating forums way too seriously.

The anti's can be worse than the ubers.

purple skates
09-07-2010, 02:06 AM
It is beyond me that anyone can behave that way. Is one figure skater/star/whatever that important? We have a political situation going on in our small town that is just like what is being described here, and the behavior of these people just blows my mind. I just don't get it.

Allen
09-07-2010, 02:14 AM
The anti's can be worse than the ubers.

I can vouch for that. I got close to 20 emails from a very nasty person who got offended because I said some nice things about a skater he hated.

Simone411
09-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I think that most of the things people consider "scary uber behavior" are really just passions run amok because of group reinforcement; the smaller and more passionate the group, the more bizarre the behavior appears to others. It's hard to maintain perspective when everyone you know is just as crazy as you are, if not more so.

If you want to see a really scary version of this, hang out on some political boards. Splinter groups and subcultures tend to breed crazy behavior. Skating fans are pretty tame for the most part; how many of us know people who think we are insane just for going to competitions?

Thanks for explaining about the Dagobytes. :eek:

I lived in New Orleans for about 6 months in 2004. At least I believe it was 2004 because I was back home and started working for another company in March of 2005. I was helping the company I worked for move the main office to that location. I was able to go to a couple of pro basketball games while I was in New Orleans. My boss had season tickets and didn't use them a couple times.

I got to see the Hornets play the Lakers and the Philadelphia 76ers. The Hornets beat The Lakers the night I went to that game. Some of the Lakers fans became upset (outraged) when I was leaving the game and I was leaving right when the game was over with.

I think I agree with you about skating fans being a little more tame. I've never been to a skating competition before but after attending a couple of pro basketball games, I believe fans of other sports like basketball put the icing on the cake when it comes to being fanatical.

AJ Skatefan
09-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks for explaining about the Dagobytes. :eek:
I think I agree with you about skating fans being a little more tame. I've never been to a skating competition before but after attending a couple of pro basketball games, I believe fans of other sports like basketball put the icing on the cake when it comes to being fanatical.

I totally agree with this. Skating fan behavior is benign compared to fan behavior of other sports! I go to a lot of WNBA basketball games and several fans hold up signs that are derogatory to the players on the other teams, boo and shout insults to players from the other team. My friends and I have changed our season ticket seats to get away from the particularly rude people. Luckily this summer we're seated in a section that's loud and enthusiastic but not over the top.

Simone411
09-07-2010, 03:26 AM
I totally agree with this. Skating fan behavior is benign compared to fan behavior of other sports! I go to a lot of WNBA basketball games and several fans hold up signs that are derogatory to the players on the other teams, boo and shout insults to players from the other team. My friends and I have changed our season ticket seats to get away from the particularly rude people. Luckily this summer we're seated in a section that's loud and enthusiastic but not over the top.

I saw a lot of that going on. Some of the fans did have those derogatory signs. The booing and shouting insults started happening after the Hornets were ahead in the game. It was even worse toward the end of the game. The shouting & insults were so loud that I couldn't hear my friend/coworker that was sitting right next to me. Needless to say, we got out of there as fast as possible.

I'm so glad that you were able to get a section that's not quite over the top like that.