PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Lainerb
09-05-2010, 06:14 AM
I was banned at MKF for accusing them of being cult members. Christ, I was a child then.

Jenna
09-05-2010, 06:43 AM
Damn, those were the days...things are so serene and non-eventful now compared to then.

You think? Yu-Na and Mao bots are positively scary.

vesperholly
09-05-2010, 08:25 AM
If you weren't there than how can you report that information?

It was reported on the boards and she read about it? :P

manleywoman
09-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Another wild issue at MKF was the platinum medal for Michelle after the SLC Olympics. What started out as a sweet idea to give her an award (and donate a sizeable amount of money to her favorite charity) blew up into a huge issue when it came to exactly what to do and especially how to present the award (and who could be there when it happened). No joke, there were people on the board suggesting that the award should be given to Michelle on the Tonight Show with a bunch of MKFers in attendance...I'm not kidding. Then there was a major argument about who all should get to be there when she was given it, with major hurt feelings over this. Heck, I remember one particularly scary uber who started her own board over the whole issue because she wasn't given a major role. In the end, the medal was presented by the board moderator and a few others backstage after a COI performance in a very low key manner.
Ugh. I remember that. Then one guy who felt slighted wrote a letter to MK's agent. Same incident?

Sparks
09-05-2010, 04:51 PM

So, if it was on the internet it must be the absolute truth!

milanessa
09-05-2010, 04:59 PM
So, if it was on the internet it must be the absolute truth!

Yep. Don't you know nuthin'? ;)

RD
09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Back to the MKF medal for a moment- who originally came up with the idea? And was that person in attendance at the ceremony? I can't remember.

Badams
09-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Isn't all of this basically board dragging? If not, what exactly is considered board dragging? I get confused about what is and what isn't.

oleada
09-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I like this thread. It's like Figure Skating Forums: A History :watch:

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Isn't all of this basically board dragging? If not, what exactly is considered board dragging? I get confused about what is and what isn't.

Yes, it seems to me very much to be board dragging.

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2010, 06:32 PM

Well in that case I also wasn't there but I talked to people who were there and I read about it from people who were there and it seems like the reports of crazy fan behavior were greatly exaggerated. No one I talked to were asked to leave or move nor did they see anyone being asked to leave or move. No one I talked to saw other skaters signs being torn down nor did they see any offensive buttons. So people wore purple and had pom poms, so what? It doesn't sound any crazier than anything I've seen from YuNa fans at 4CC in Vancouver or Joubert fans on tv at Europeans one year. Those people had pompons AND vuvuzelas or what ever they're called. The Plushenko fans behind me at the Olympics were s***t faced drunk and kept blowing their vuvuzela in my ear. I'm not understanding why this particular event keeps being brought up. It's totally reached urban legend status perpetuated by a certain poster who was banned by both MKF and FSU.

VIETgrlTerifa
09-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Back to the MKF medal for a moment- who originally came up with the idea? And was that person in attendance at the ceremony? I can't remember.

It was a MKF poster and somebody who thought it was just a good idea for fans to do something for Michelle after that stressful season. No, the poster wasn't in attendance, but that poster didn't care.

I only remember two posters going extremely off the deep-end with the way the medal presentation was handled. One seemed to have psychological issues and had her own EZboard after being banned from MKF and another person posts here and is a big fan of Yu-Na Kim.

This is my opinion, and I'm sure there are good examples of the contrary, but HeatherW and the mods over at MKF seemed to do what they could NOT to ban people when MKF was at the height of its popularity and if people got banned, it must have been for good reasons.

Now, I'm sure I'm going to hear stories and examples of injustice happening at MKF and how the Kwan fans over there are cult members and blah blah blah. I'm sure a fan board like MKF is going to attract certain people who may not be all the way there, but I find every message board has those type of people. When you get board dedicated to something (a person, sport, etc.) then it's going to invite people who tend to be obsessive about it.

Really
09-05-2010, 06:41 PM
In all the reminiscing about MKF and other boards, it's important to remember that the ubers and the 'skary' fans are really a minority. Most fans are rather rational. But, as wrong as it is to assume that all members of a skater-specific forum are ubers and therefore, skary, it's also wrong to assume there are no crazy people out there. The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2010, 06:49 PM
In all the reminiscing about MKF and other boards, it's important to remember that the ubers and the 'skary' fans are really a minority. Most fans are rather rational. But, as wrong as it is to assume that all members of a skater-specific forum are ubers and therefore, skary, it's also wrong to assume there are no crazy people out there. The truth, as always, is somewhere in the middle.

Yes, I think those are true words. I'm sure there were a few nutty people at that Nationals as there are at every skating event.

Sparks
09-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I only remember two posters going extremely off the deep-end with the way the medal presentation was handled. One seemed to have psychological issues and had her own EZboard after being banned from MKF and another person posts here and is a big fan of Yu-Na Kim.
This is the truth.