PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

succubus
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
OH! Also wanted to post that I've only been banned on 1 board - the Television Without Pity (twop) forum - for posting something really horrid to a Sandra Lee fan while I was drunk. I felt kind of bad the next day, but hey - she was freakin' supporting SANDRA LEE.

skatingfan5
09-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, judges did care about transitions in 6.0 as well. They just weren't quantified and there was no way of knowing which judges cared about them a lot and which didn't care much at all.

However, Kwan herself and therefore her fans also cared about them a lot earlier in her career when they were one of the strengths of her skating. So it would be kind of hypocritical for those who extolled them in her mid-90s programs to take the attitude that they don't matter after she started leaving them out.Yes, I suppose it would. I happen to have not been someone really gaga about transitions (although if a program had them, so much the better) -- and I prefer many of her later programs when her speed was greater to the ones pre-Nagano. Her edges and jump outflow, great carriage, and command of the ice were what drew me in to her programs.

Allen
09-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I first saw MK skate at Nationals in Nashville in 97. Obviously, she did not have a great skate in the free skate, but I absolutely fell in love with her programs that year. That was the MK that caused me to become an uber ;-) 2004, I just found the programs empty in terms of connecting steps and moves in comparison to earlier programs (Taj Mahal, the original version of The Red Violin).

skatingfan5
09-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I first saw MK skate at Nationals in Nashville in 97. Obviously, she did not have a great skate in the free skate, but I absolutely fell in love with her programs that year. That was the MK that caused me to become an uber ;-) 2004, I just found the programs empty in terms of connecting steps and moves in comparison to earlier programs (Taj Mahal, the original version of The Red Violin).Yes, it's clear that you and I have different tastes/preferences in skating -- no reason for us to like the same things. :) If by the "original version" of The Red Violin, you mean the one from Helsinki Worlds gala, that was a wonderful program -- but it was an exhibition, not an LP (it had only half the jumps, so naturally there were more transitions in it). Taj Mahal may have been one of her best (most intricate) program from a choreography standpoint, but most of my favorites are some of the "stripped down" ones, in terms of transitions. Just no accounting for my taste, I suppose. ;)

UGG
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
SashaFans had a couple of serious weirdos back in the day. Remember the crazy lady who kept posting page after page about how Michelle Kwan's coral/pink/orange Tosca dress was an inappropriate color for Tosca, and after being soundly beaten down by people who didn't even like Michelle, resorted to claiming that she (Kwan) had staged the 2004 Worlds streaker incident on purpose to get attention? :rofl:

LMAO I remember that person. Loveskating. She HATED Michelle and would always talk about the Opera.

This thread is hysterical...so funny!

DarrellH
09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Interesting thing about uber-fans in both skating and music (and other things) is that they usually prove to be fans of the particular skater/artist rather than of skating/music itself.

I could spend all my time, convincing you that skater X was robbed/the bestever/an angel sent from above, but even if everyone here was to agree, it won't change the results of the event.
One tape I have, of 88 O's, I have to just speed throught Debi's Lp, because it hurts to watch, even now.

numbers123
09-03-2010, 09:33 PM
So it wasn't just the crazy, purple-wearing MKF ubers who weren't on their best behavior? I guess the MKF folks were the worst of the bunch to have achieved such a bad rep online, because I never had read of anyone else at 2004 Nationals who was rude or disruptive before -- just those horrible, over-the-top MKF folks. But after reading your post, it sounds like there may have been something in the water (or whatever people were drinking) in Atlanta that week. :slinkaway

WOW - horrible, over the top MKF fans? Did anyone say specifically say that here? Or did someone just report what was the perception at the time because someone asked?
I think that there have always been "ubers" who act rude/disruptive during events. I've seen evidence of pins, shirts, banners that were OTT for many different skaters. I was given some of those pins, "#1 foam fingers" with skaters names - mostly unwanted, I have been at events were people have stood up and booed for their skaters' supposed arch rival, I've been to events where people come in for their favorite skater or leave after the skate - sometimes disrupting a whole row of people to get into their seats, ruining viewing the event for rows of people. I've seen behaviors on all sides. I sat around families/extended family who cry was robbed as soon as the scores go up. Or families that say their skater's rivals have an advantage because it is their hometown. It was not just 2004, I have been going to events since 1999.

skatingfan5
09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
WOW - horrible, over the top MKF fans? Did anyone say specifically say that here? Or did someone just report what was the perception at the time because someone asked?:confused: I don't think that I said I had read the specific description "horrible, over-the-top MKF folks" here. This isn't the only skating board I read or that has been discussed in this thread -- quite the contrary. But in this thread there have been reports of some at 2004 Nationals who "had completely gone around the bend." VIETgrlTerifa was the one who used the word "horrific" in giving some context (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2865048&postcount=300) about one source of the reports of the behavior, which I am very glad to learn. Stories of MKF members running amok at 2004 Nationals have always seemed rather extraordinary to me -- near legendary, if you will. :P As a long-time member, I guess my own bias is evident, but I really could not fathom what might have taken place in Atlanta to cause such an uproar.To be honest, I still don't know what an "inflammatory" banner or button would say. I've been attending events only since 2000, but it seems I have been rather lucky in managing to avoid or be unaware of excessive uber antics that others have described -- and I've never heard skaters booed. Maybe the ubers don't inhabit the cheap seats? :D My only unpleasant encounters have been with people sitting nearby who spilled their drinks and/or were careless with dripping nachos. :lol:

Yazmeen
09-04-2010, 02:48 AM
First off, shout out and hug to Patsy!! So glad to hear from you!

I wasn't at 2004 Nationals, but IIRC, some of the dustup was that the MKF ubers were acting more as though the emphasis was about them instead of all about Michelle. Between the purple outfits and pompoms and issues with banners, several of them did as much as possible to bring attention to themselves whether it was talking to reporters or acting rudely when other skaters but Michelle skated. I recall hearing that some were so over the top at practices that they were asked to move. This was the behavior that the poor fan at the board brought up and soon regretted - those who joined in and suggested that maybe some overdid it were roundly dispatched.

Another wild issue at MKF was the platinum medal for Michelle after the SLC Olympics. What started out as a sweet idea to give her an award (and donate a sizeable amount of money to her favorite charity) blew up into a huge issue when it came to exactly what to do and especially how to present the award (and who could be there when it happened). No joke, there were people on the board suggesting that the award should be given to Michelle on the Tonight Show with a bunch of MKFers in attendance...I'm not kidding. Then there was a major argument about who all should get to be there when she was given it, with major hurt feelings over this. Heck, I remember one particularly scary uber who started her own board over the whole issue because she wasn't given a major role. In the end, the medal was presented by the board moderator and a few others backstage after a COI performance in a very low key manner.

Simone411
09-04-2010, 02:49 AM
My only unpleasant encounters have been with people sitting nearby who spilled their drinks and/or were careless with dripping nachos. :lol:

I hope the spilled drinks & dripping nachos didn't get on you! :lol:

RD
09-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Another wild issue at MKF was the platinum medal for Michelle after the SLC Olympics. What started out as a sweet idea to give her an award (and donate a sizeable amount of money to her favorite charity) blew up into a huge issue when it came to exactly what to do and especially how to present the award (and who could be there when it happened). No joke, there were people on the board suggesting that the award should be given to Michelle on the Tonight Show with a bunch of MKFers in attendance...I'm not kidding. Then there was a major argument about who all should get to be there when she was given it, with major hurt feelings over this. Heck, I remember one particularly scary uber who started her own board over the whole issue because she wasn't given a major role. In the end, the medal was presented by the board moderator and a few others backstage after a COI performance in a very low key manner.

Oh yeah, I remember that medal. I also remember some disagreement but I didn't realize it got that nasty. But I definitely DO remember someone creating her own MK forum, badmouthing the MKF and wanting dissatisfied members to band together. Don't think it got more than about 20 members/4 active ones though.

Damn, those were the days...things are so serene and non-eventful now compared to then.

UGG
09-04-2010, 03:22 AM
There are two particular posters at MKF who have always scared me. Now don't get me wrong...I know I am probably considered an uber...but these two particular people are...scary. Like...their obession with Michelle was/is just downright abnormal. For the most part though, I like everyone there.

I had just discovered skating boards when the MKF medal madness was going on. I had no idea about skating boards and I remember thinking that everyone was weird LOL.

Simone411
09-04-2010, 03:35 AM
There are two particular posters at MKF who have always scared me. Now don't get me wrong...I know I am probably considered an uber...but these two particular people are...scary. Like...their obession with Michelle was/is just downright abnormal. For the most part though, I like everyone there.

I had just discovered skating boards when the MKF medal madness was going on. I had no idea about skating boards and I remember thinking that everyone was weird LOL.

UGG, I think I know who you mean and I totally agree. :)

TygerTyger
09-04-2010, 04:22 AM
Clearly there is some negative correlation between figure skating and impulse control/ reality testing.
IMO, the worst thing about "ubers" is that they plug up the board with their hysterics.

AJ Skatefan
09-05-2010, 04:06 AM
I wasn't at 2004 Nationals, but IIRC, some of the dustup was that the MKF ubers were acting more as though the emphasis was about them instead of all about Michelle. Between the purple outfits and pompoms and issues with banners, several of them did as much as possible to bring attention to themselves whether it was talking to reporters or acting rudely when other skaters but Michelle skated. I recall hearing that some were so over the top at practices that they were asked to move. This was the behavior that the poor fan at the board brought up and soon regretted - those who joined in and suggested that maybe some overdid it were roundly dispatched.

If you weren't there than how can you report that information?