PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Nomad
09-03-2010, 07:04 AM
I've never understood the uber mentality. I have my favorites, but I can admit it when they f*ck up, I don't go around screaming "Wuzrobbed!" when they've tanked a program, or rationalize when they say something stupid/offensive in an interview, or claim that an eyelash flutter should count as a transition and be given +GOE...no, I don't get it.

Meredith
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
As for being banned, I'm not sure, but I think I was banned by Adrian from SkatingForums. I know I did once get the red screen of death on FSW, although they claimed it was just a technical problem, like I would believe that. :P

Was the screen of death Red? I remember logging onto FSW one evening to get the dreaded screen of death, so I emailed Adrian, "...but I don't THINK I said anything offensive, did I????" He emailed me back and reassured me that it was just a technical glich. I thought the screen of death was Blue, but that may have been my last Windows meltdown.

So far I've been banned nowhere. Of course, that could change. :slinkaway

Regards,
Meredith, wherever she posts

ps: Wish Adrian would put in a guest appearance :)

hirshey girl
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Although I do agree that some of the MK ubers may have been over-the-top in their Kwan glee at those championships, keep in mind that one of the people who was making reports on the "horrific" behavior was from Twizz who had some sort of vendetta against MKF and did what she could to antagonize them.

There were 2 of the MKF'ers sitting in front of me who were just plain obnoxious during the Ladies' SP and LP. They were pretty rude during other skaters' performances (making negative comments). They were also rude to the lady and her daughter sitting beside me (the little girl was a Sasha fan and was thrilled with seeing her skate live). IIRC, the way I knew they were MKF were the MKF buttons and they were wearing purple. In fact, I had a secret chuckle when MK came out to skate her LP in the peach color dress. :P It was just embarassing to see two grown women acting like that. :wideeyes:

Allen
09-03-2010, 02:48 PM
I was a MK uber from 97-99 or so. Then, I grew up a little and realized that it was just skating. I remember at Nationals in 2004 when everyone totally freaked out after her free skate and threw thousands of stuffed animals on the ice...all I could think was how empty the program was and feel really underwhelmed.

The MK fans were really varied at that championship. Some were great (I had some really fun ones sitting by me), but there were several nearby that were actually booing skaters or they would get up in the middle of other skaters programs, like they thought they were snubbing them or something. On the other hand, a huge number of people only showed up to see MK skate. A couple of guys behind me showed up during the warm up for the next to last group and when they realized it wasn't MKs group, they got up and left and didn't come back until maybe 5 minutes before she was supposed to skate. I kept thinking, why on Earth would you pay that much for a ticket and watch maybe 2 skaters skate.

skatingfan5
09-03-2010, 03:16 PM
I remember at Nationals in 2004 when everyone totally freaked out after her free skate and threw thousands of stuffed animals on the ice...all I could think was how empty the program was and feel really underwhelmed.And I really wished that I was there, because it seemed like such a strong and impassioned performance. Different strokes for different folks. :)
The MK fans were really varied at that championship. Some were great (I had some really fun ones sitting by me), but there were several nearby that were actually booing skaters or they would get up in the middle of other skaters programs, like they thought they were snubbing them or something. On the other hand, a huge number of people only showed up to see MK skate. A couple of guys behind me showed up during the warm up for the next to last group and when they realized it wasn't MKs group, they got up and left and didn't come back until maybe 5 minutes before she was supposed to skate. I kept thinking, why on Earth would you pay that much for a ticket and watch maybe 2 skaters skate.So I was right -- it WAS a bit like the Yuna uber-ubers. ;)

Thanks to those who had in person reports for filling me in on what happened that weekend -- the obnoxious fans must have really been bad for you to remember them so well after six years. :( Booing other skaters is really bad form -- I have on occasion been rather reserved with my applause and sparing with the SO's, but the only skating personage I've ever booed at an event was Speedy -- but he deserved it. :P Thanks also for identifying who one of the "reporters" of the "horrific behavior" was -- it lets me take some of the things said to have happened (like the tearing down of other skaters banners) with a rather large grain of salt.

Skaters come and skaters go, but uber fandom remains forever.

P.S. to Meredith: I distinctly remember the screen of death as being very RED -- but since this was at least 8 years ago, I suppose my memory could be wrong.

manleywoman
09-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I've never understood the uber mentality. I have my favorites, but I can admit it when they f*ck up, I don't go around screaming "Wuzrobbed!" when they've tanked a program, or rationalize when they say something stupid/offensive in an interview, or claim that an eyelash flutter should count as a transition and be given +GOE...no, I don't get it.

I'm with you. I have my favorites, and skaters I definitely dislike, but I don't go uber one way or another to raise one up or put one down. I just want a good, exciting competition, and may the best skater win.

Kruss
09-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Interesting thing about uber-fans in both skating and music (and other things) is that they usually prove to be fans of the particular skater/artist rather than of skating/music itself.

I had my favorites when I followed skating, and those I didn't like as well. But to only like one particular skater and diss all the others? That wasn't me. I just wanted to be around skating, and I'm still sad I was never able to see an eligible competition in person.

Simone411
09-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Interesting thing about uber-fans in both skating and music (and other things) is that they usually prove to be fans of the particular skater/artist rather than of skating/music itself.

I had my favorites when I followed skating, and those I didn't like as well. But to only like one particular skater and diss all the others? That wasn't me. I just wanted to be around skating, and I'm still sad I was never able to see an eligible competition in person.

Kruss, don't feel sad. I had the opportunity twice and even had the tickets. A family member became ill during both times. I gave the tickets to friends. At least the events were televised and I was able to watch.

Allen
09-03-2010, 06:08 PM
And I really wished that I was there, because it seemed like such a strong and impassioned performance.

Thanks to those who had in person reports for filling me in on what happened that weekend -- the obnoxious fans must have really been bad for you to remember them so well after six years.

It was an impassioned performance, but if we're talking about transitions, there were none in my opinion. The program itself was very empty, but she sold the hell out of it for sure. She probably deserved the 6.0s that night, but under COP, I'm not sure how that program would really score now.

I've been to several skating competitions including 3 World Championships, but for some reason, 2004 Nationals sticks out almost the most in my memory. There was a lot of really snarky behavior in the stands. Somehow, I managed to be seated by a lot of skaters parents in everything except the ladies free skate. During the junior ladies free skate, I happened to be in the middle of two sets of parents. One of which totally ragged on every single skater, even Meissner and Taylor, to a degree which I found way beyond snarky. However, her daughter, BOMBED, I mean, totally melted down. I had to wonder if karma didn't come into play. But the mother never stopped talking bad about other skaters, even when other audience members told her she needed to stop.

During the men's free skate, I was seated near the Weiss family. I got mean mugged bad when I jumped to my feat at the end of Ryan Jahnke and Johnny Weir's respective free skates.

numbers123
09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
During the men's free skate, I was seated near the Weiss family. I got mean mugged bad when I jumped to my feat at the end of Ryan Jahnke and Johnny Weir's respective free skates.

Yep. I know that people have said how nice Weiss is and the chartiable work he has done, but his family definitely need muzzles.

Kruss
09-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Kruss, don't feel sad. I had the opportunity twice and even had the tickets. A family member became ill during both times. I gave the tickets to friends. At least the events were televised and I was able to watch.

I had Skate America tickets at one point but had to sell them because I couldn't afford the plane fare and hotel at the time. And it was in Colorado Springs, which I'd waited for ever since they built the World Arena.

skatingfan5
09-03-2010, 06:24 PM
It was an impassioned performance, but if we're talking about transitions, there were none in my opinion. The program itself was very empty, but she sold the hell out of it for sure. She probably deserved the 6.0s that night, but under COP, I'm not sure how that program would really score now. No, I wasn't talking at all about transitions but I guess you were. Since 2004 Nationals was NOT scored using COP, why spend any time at all wondering how that program would score under the current judging system now, 6 years later and 5 years after Michelle's last competition of any kind? The program was not constructed for the current judging system so I'm always :confused: about speculation like this.
I've been to several skating competitions including 3 World Championships, but for some reason, 2004 Nationals sticks out almost the most in my memory. There was a lot of really snarky behavior in the stands. Somehow, I managed to be seated by a lot of skaters parents in everything except the ladies free skate. During the junior ladies free skate, I happened to be in the middle of two sets of parents. One of which totally ragged on every single skater, even Meissner and Taylor, to a degree which I found way beyond snarky. However, her daughter, BOMBED, I mean, totally melted down. I had to wonder if karma didn't come into play. But the mother never stopped talking bad about other skaters, even when other audience members told her she needed to stop.

During the men's free skate, I was seated near the Weiss family. I got mean mugged bad when I jumped to my feat at the end of Ryan Jahnke and Johnny Weir's respective free skates.So it wasn't just the crazy, purple-wearing MKF ubers who weren't on their best behavior? I guess the MKF folks were the worst of the bunch to have achieved such a bad rep online, because I never had read of anyone else at 2004 Nationals who was rude or disruptive before -- just those horrible, over-the-top MKF folks. But after reading your post, it sounds like there may have been something in the water (or whatever people were drinking) in Atlanta that week. :slinkaway

skatesindreams
09-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm with you. I have my favorites, and skaters I definitely dislike, but I don't go uber one way or another to raise one up or put one down. I just want a good, exciting competition, and may the best skater win.

ITA!. I support great skating; and that's what I hope to see.
Fanaticism, of any kind, doesn't serve the sport.

gkelly
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
No, I wasn't talking at all about transitions but I guess you were. Since 2004 Nationals was NOT scored using COP, why spend any time at all wondering how that program would score under the current judging system now, 6 years later and 5 years after Michelle's last competition of any kind?

Well, judges did care about transitions in 6.0 as well. They just weren't quantified and there was no way of knowing which judges cared about them a lot and which didn't care much at all.

However, Kwan herself and therefore her fans also cared about them a lot earlier in her career when they were one of the strengths of her skating. So it would be kind of hypocritical for those who extolled them in her mid-90s programs to take the attitude that they don't matter after she started leaving them out.

succubus
09-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I remember a few years back - it's actually what brought me to FSU! - there was a crazy strange creepy person posting about MK called 'Kwanthrob'. I came on here to figure out who that person was (and if anyone had reported him/her to the police yet!) and one of the admins accused me of board dragging. Which I was, but wasn't aware of it because I was basically a message board virgin at the time. I laid low for a bit after that. :slinkaway

PS - Kwanthrob was REALLY weird, and I stand by that belief.