PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RD
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I remember being banned from Tara World after making a thread about liking to see Tara and Michelle compete again. I think it was like around 2001 when I posted that thread and I was accused of trolling after many of their posters were telling me how Tara would wipe the floor with Michelle.

Maybe I was stirring the pot a bit when I suggested that Kwan might win in a match-up since she just won Worlds, but I thought it was pretty benign.

I think we are seeing round Two already with this Asada vs. Kim stuff, although the worst of it seems to be taking place on Youtube rather than on skating forums. Still, even then you see posters coming out of the woodwork to defend their princess (or queen).

Luckily I stayed out of most of that early drama. I seemed to have caught the tail-end of it in 2002 though. I remember boards like PITI, FSW (Free Skate World, not the more popular one), The Bored, and a few others I've forgotten about. Skaters like Slutskaya, Kwan, Cohen, Lipinski and Hughes were all fair game. Seems like the demise of the American ladies happened soon after the demise of those boards. I always wonder what triggered the transition, since it seemed to have occurred just before the 2006 Olympic season, a time I would have expected things to pick up. Things have REALLY tempered down in the past 5 or so years.

Funny how then, there was a fanboard for just about every top skater at the time- the rabid fans *usually* stayed at the fan forums of their faves. Now, only Yuna Kim seems to have a fanboard of her own- at least in terms of English-speaking forums, there is nothing for any of the other skaters out there. I guess that's not too surprising, but I wonder if a Mirai Nagasu forum or Christina Gao forum is in the future, given how much hype they have been getting :P

Nomad
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
FSU is lame and tame compared to the old days of rssif and even the old FSW trolls. Ah... the online skating community hasn't been as intimate or as full of nasty, snarky fun since about 1999-2000ish. I guess that's why I loves me the Aunt Joyce blog.

ChuckieG, OMG!!! And someone mentioned Anjule... yes, Anjule/Ann Lewis may have been the best and most notorious troll ever. I will forever and ever associate Katia Gordeeva with the acronym "BYW" and the phrase "extramarital affair with Kurt Browning." :saint: :inavoid:

What does BYW stand for?

WindSpirit
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I feel left out. I've never been banned. NOT that I want to whichever Admin sees this and is feeling frisky. :slinkaway: I'm not feeling frisky, but I can be bought. :bribe:

BlueRidge
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
They thought I was a troll. :lol: Now, I will admit that I was kind of difficult. I just couldn't stop myself from pointing out that some of the mods and long time posters were a bit loony (and that some of their rules were verrry loony). ;)

Someone is surprised by this? :saint:

I read thru this thread but it seems like most of the people posting are FSUers. Who are the new ex-SF people anyway?

Adrian loved me at skatingforums. At FSU, not so much. :shuffle:

I've never been banned anywhere, but I have been suspended by Prancer. :drama:

Anyway, new people are encouraged to come post in PI. I need some new heads to mash. :shuffle:

BreakfastClub
09-01-2010, 06:30 PM
What does BYW stand for?

Katia, the "Brave Young Widow" :saint:

It's a slow week at work so you made me go dig rssif archives for fun and nostalgia....

Click this link if you can handle a blast of Ann Lewis nastiness from the past (if you are the least bit sensitive you've been warned...):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.skating.ice.figure/browse_thread/thread/7e62d1fe7ed4d601/

genevieve
09-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Funny how then, there was a fanboard for just about every top skater at the time- the rabid fans *usually* stayed at the fan forums of their faves. Now, only Yuna Kim seems to have a fanboard of her own- at least in terms of English-speaking forums, there is nothing for any of the other skaters out there. I guess that's not too surprising, but I wonder if a Mirai Nagasu forum or Christina Gao forum is in the future, given how much hype they have been getting :P

Technology is moving so fast - seems like now people start Facebook fan pages. It's free, and with texting and twitter, people are used to shorter declarations instead of long discourse (present company excepted, of course! :P ). Seems like the work and expense of actual sites make them less attractive to start now that there are free options that don't require much moderation.

I discovered FSW/iSkater After the '98 Olys - lurked for a long time and then started posting maybe a year or 2 before '02 Olys. I remember writing a worst case scenario a few months before Olys that included Sarah Hughes flutzing her way to the top of the podium while MK and Slute made mistakes, and Todd Eldredge losing any chance of a medal by not trying a quad in competition all season UNTIL the Olys and then blowing it. :saint:

Didn't subscribe right away when it went to a pay site, but a few months later decided I missed the board too much and tried to subscribe - and it was gone. Went to GS for a while (in the Fetal Attraction days - GS used to be more tolerant of really out there posters than they are now), and finally discovered FSU.

Nomad
09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Katia, the "Brave Young Widow" :saint:

It's a slow week at work so you made me go dig rssif archives for fun and nostalgia....

Click this link if you can handle a blast of Ann Lewis nastiness from the past (if you are the least bit sensitive you've been warned...):
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.skating.ice.figure/browse_thread/thread/7e62d1fe7ed4d601/

Wow.

skatingfan5
09-01-2010, 06:38 PM
They thought I was a troll. :lol: Now, I will admit that I was kind of difficult. I just couldn't stop myself from pointing out that some of the mods and long time posters were a bit loony (and that some of their rules were verrry loony). ;)When was this? Had you just come from a visit to FSU? Admittedly, some of the long time posters on MKF ARE a bit loony (translation: not hiding any of their uberdom, unlike moi). I mean, there ARE limits to what I'll post or do in public. What are/were the looony rules?

As for being banned, I'm not sure, but I think I was banned by Adrian from SkatingForums. I know I did once get the red screen of death on FSW, although they claimed it was just a technical problem, like I would believe that. :P

I remember liking to read r.s.s.i.f. back in the day -- before the trolls came to nearly outnumber the regular (i.e. normal) posters, although I'd almost forgotten about mah jong lady.

jeffisjeff
09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Someone is surprised by this? :saint:

Crazy, isn't it? And skatingfan5 isn't exactly some newbie either. :drama:

I used to be rather rowdy. :D I think I may actually be the only person ever to have been banned from both MKF and ISFF, back in the early 2000s, during all the :argue: .

ETA:

When was this? Had you just come from a visit to FSU? Admittedly, some of the long time posters on MKF ARE a bit loony (translation: not hiding any of their uberdom, unlike moi). I mean, there ARE limits to what I'll post or do in public. What are/were the looony rules?

Well, I joined FSU in 2002. I know I was banned from MKF sometime after joining FSU. I don't recall much else about it, other than the fact that I posted on PITI probably had something to do with it. :shuffle:

Oh, yeah, PITI. :lol: I never was banned there, but at one point the board went hidden (or moved or something) and I wasn't invited along. So that was kind of like being banned. I wasn't quite rowdy enough for them. :wuzrobbed

BlueRidge
09-01-2010, 06:41 PM

I used to be rather rowdy. :D I think I may actually be the only person ever to have been banned from both MKF and ISFF, back in the early 2000s, during all the :argue: .

Seriously, your behavior lately has been just ruining your reputation!

I'm really tempted to say "what's ISFF?" but nah... :saint:

skatingfan5
09-01-2010, 06:42 PM

I used to be rather rowdy. :D I think I may actually be the only person ever to have been banned from both MKF and ISFF, back in the early 2000s, during all the :argue: .Wow. :wideeyes: :lol: I guess motherhood has mellowed you. :D

skatingfan5
09-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Seriously, your behavior lately has been just ruining your reputation!

I'm really tempted to say "what's ISFF?" but nah... :saint:ISFF was the ISU's "official" forum iirc. Or not, iidrc. ;)

jeffisjeff
09-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow. :wideeyes: :lol: I guess motherhood has mellowed you. :D

No, it just exhausted me. ;)

BlueRidge
09-01-2010, 06:47 PM
No, it just exhausted me. ;)

should we fear for when you get your strength back?

Prancer
09-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I've never been banned anywhere, but I have been suspended by Prancer. :drama:

:EVILLE: