PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RD
09-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Wasn't there a KimmieFans at some point too? I guess it faded into oblivion when her skating career started deteriorating :(

There were two sites: the Kimmie Meissner Forum (KMF) and at the time, her biggest fansite (for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it). I think they were both linked to each other and they may have been run by the same person/team. I know her fansite was affiliated with a few celeb sites as well. Anyway, after she pulled out of 2009 Nationals, the owner was mentioning that she was looking to take care of some RL business (I forgot whether it was starting a family or what), but for now she'd keep the site open in case of any Meissner news. Then, shortly after her withdrawal from the Olympic season, both the site and her fan forum disappeared. Not surprising, given that it was a) the perfect excuse for the owner to move on and b) unlikely that she would return, anyway. There was never a replacement forum, likely because the already small audience was fragmented enough that there was no point in making one.

I remember tweeting her a link to the site and she acknowledged it, so she knew about it (even though it wasn't an official site and she didn't contribute to it). Had lots of screencaps and a fairly large gallery of photos, too.

ETA: It seems that Sashafans is now also a thing of the past. Anyway, that site hadn't been updated for nearly 5 years. The forum was the only thing still going, and even there activity slowed significantly since Nationals. It makes me wonder how much longer the MKF is going to keep running...

The trend I see is that everyone is converging to either here or GS. I remember when I came on first (circa 2002) there were at least 7 or 8 different ACTIVE skating forums- both general and skater-specific- on the net. All except 3 have either shut down or been vacated.

Prancer
09-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Iskater screwed themselves with Skate Canada, which is why they were turned down, according to :sekret:

Didn't they make some sort of demands?

There are some faint glimmers of memories off in the distance.....

Kruss
09-01-2010, 12:53 AM
What a trip down memory lane!

And (((GreenStreet and Patsy)))! Woah, girls! LONG TIME!

To those who may be dipping their toes in here and not sure of it? Well, a long time ago on a skating board far, far away, I put my foot into it and didn't appreciate the snarky love that is Sharpie. Suffice it to say, I was a 'bit' uptight back then.

Over a few very short years after FSU opened, I grew to love this community, and especially the fair Sharps. I don't even follow skating anymore for the most part, but I visit here nearly every day. Staying power, yep!

I hope all the new folks enjoy it here. It really is a fab place. :)

GarrAarghHrumph
09-01-2010, 01:09 AM
So cool to be getting all these new/old people here! I only posted at FSW for a short time before it shut down, so I don't remember everyone's names, but welcome!

RD
09-01-2010, 01:16 AM
On the topic, I've been a member at GS since 2002...I discovered FSU around late 2003 I think, but didn't register until 2004. And it took me at least 3 years to even feel comfortable posting here (I wasn't, and still am not to some degree, a fan of the snark). I remember finding this site incredibly intimidating. To this day I still stay out of the really crazy threads, but I discovered there is a niche where I feel comfortable and that's usually where I stick. So I'd say to any new/potential members to just lurk, get a feel for the place and figure out where/if you fit in.

BigB08822
09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Most of us came here from afar, at one time or another.

Welcome home.

Most of us came here from afar...

Welcome home.

Were you supposed to post the 2nd one under your pseud? :P

kimkom
09-01-2010, 01:29 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

rfisher
09-01-2010, 01:54 AM
The snark makes me laugh.

vesperholly
09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
There were two sites: the Kimmie Meissner Forum (KMF) and at the time, her biggest fansite (for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it). I think they were both linked to each other and they may have been run by the same person/team. I know her fansite was affiliated with a few celeb sites as well. Anyway, after she pulled out of 2009 Nationals, the owner was mentioning that she was looking to take care of some RL business (I forgot whether it was starting a family or what), but for now she'd keep the site open in case of any Meissner news. Then, shortly after her withdrawal from the Olympic season, both the site and her fan forum disappeared. Not surprising, given that it was a) the perfect excuse for the owner to move on and b) unlikely that she would return, anyway. There was never a replacement forum, likely because the already small audience was fragmented enough that there was no point in making one.

If I'm thinking of the right site, I know the girl who runs it IRL. She recently got married, so I wouldn't be surprised if the site's extinction in 2009 coincided with the relationship beginning or escalating. :) At least that's a happy reason for it disappearing I'm always afraid that when people stop posting suddenly that they've died.

Really
09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
Didn't they make some sort of demands?

There are some faint glimmers of memories off in the distance.....Yeah, they wanted payment for a contracted sponsorship deal.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-01-2010, 02:29 PM

Guess I just really really really really really meant it. ;)

Bev Johnston
09-01-2010, 02:57 PM
rssif = recreation sports skating ice figure

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.sport.skating.ice.figure.html

It was the place to read in the middle to late 90's, but as it was a totally unmoderated forum, the trolls took over and pretty well killed it.

Ah, RSSIF. The trolls and spam did them in, but there were some notable and slightly entertaining trolls:

-Ron Ng Knows!
-Mah Jong Lady
-Barb (some people thought she was another incarnation of the Mah Jong lady)
-Johns
-And then that strange Australian fellow (can't remember his name) who loved Tonya Harding and advocated spanking for unruly female skaters, such as Nicole and Tonya. He was also the one whose skating broadcasts of "Worlds in Cuba" were always mysteriously cancelled. He riled up a lot of folks, but was kind of funny on some days.

Good times....

milanessa
09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
-And then that strange Australian fellow (can't remember his name) who loved Tonya Harding and advocated spanking for unruly female skaters, such as Nicole and Tonya. He was also the one whose skating broadcasts of "Worlds in Cuba" were always mysteriously cancelled. He riled up a lot of folks, but was kind of funny on some days.

Good times....

Ah, Chuckie.

manleywoman
09-01-2010, 04:20 PM
It makes me wonder how much longer the MKF is going to keep running...

Until she announces an official retirement, it will probably go for a while. They are very dedicated, and I mean that in the best sense. I imagine the site will probably stay on in some form as an archive, even if the forum shuts down.

I barely remember things posted last year, let alone things posted 10 years ago. Chuckie? I'm always so impressed by some of the long-term memory skills here!

pat c
09-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Ah, RSSIF. The trolls and spam did them in, but there were some notable and slightly entertaining trolls:

-Ron Ng Knows!
-Mah Jong Lady
-Barb (some people thought she was another incarnation of the Mah Jong lady)
-Johns

Good times....

Yes Chuckie......and there are a few others we're probably forgetting.

Even on it's worst days, fsu hasn't come near the vitriole of the MK/TL war of 98. That was pretty wild.