PDA

View Full Version : FSU Telenovelas Thread - Evil Twins & Slutty Doctors, oh my!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

oleada
08-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I am so ashamed to admit this, but my name is oleada and I am a telenovelas addict :hat1: I'm Latin, it's somewhere in my genetic code.

Would love to know if anyone here shares my, er, love for Mexican/Colombian/Venezuelan/your country of choice novelas. I used to watch a lot of them; right now, I'm just following A Corazón Abierto, which airs on Telemundo at the completely ridiculous hour of 11:30 PM. It's the Colombian soap opera version of Grey's Anatomy (only better because it's a soap!). It's been changed enough that it's not a repeat of the series. I particularly love Cristina - the actress does a great job with her, which is surprising as she's relatively new on the scene. And Rafael Novoa (Andres/McDreamy) is SMOKIN' HOT! (http://cardinalbitchspecials.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/rafael_novoa_01_19.jpg?w=289&h=450)

I also like a lot of the Mexican soaps of yesteryear: La Usurpadora, La Mentira, Soñadoras, El Privilegio de Amar, Preciosa, Amigas y Rivales and so on. Also a lot of Colombian ones, including the big famous ones: Yo Soy Betty, la Fea, Cafe con Aroma de Mujer... What do you like, folks? Would love to know and some YT vids for some snarking. No one does drama/overacting/ridiculosity(is that a word?) like telenovelas.

But what really inspired me to open this thread what this SKANDALOUS story that seems to be right out of a telenovela plot:

Soap opera star poisoned by assistant she hired to spy on her twin: police (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/852074--soap-opera-star-poisoned-by-assistant-she-hired-to-spy-on-her-twin-police?bn=1)

On television, Venezuelan bombshell Gabriela Spanic plays the “envious cousin” of the heroine in a Mexican telenovela called Soy Tu Dueña (I Am Your Owner).

In real life, Spanic, 36, is a TV star who apparently hires a woman to spy on her estranged twin sister. When that woman is found out by the twin, Spanic reportedly takes the spy on as her own live-in personal assistant, only to discover that her new employee is slowly poisoning her and the rest of her family.

According to police, Babio had begun lacing the Spanic family’s food with ammonium sulphate, an ingredient in rat poison.

Over the last four months, the Spanic household – including Gabriela’s two-year-old son, her mother and her maid – grew gravely ill.

:wideeyes:
Poor Gaby - my 10 year old self LOVED her in La Usurpadora. Hope her son is doing okay. That's so messed up. :(

El Rey
08-26-2010, 08:56 PM
me! :shuffle:

Right now I'm only watching Soy Tu Dueña, but I've seen probably almost every novela that has come on in the past 20 years. But I only watch the ones that come on Univision (Televisa). For some reason I just can't stand Telemundo. What I find hilarious is that on Soy Tu Dueña they try to pass off the lead actors as young adults, when they're all in their forties or close. And they create a love story line between the parents, some who are like 80 already :lol:

:eek:about Gaby Spanic. She's the queen of overacting and I can't stand the way she speaks, but she's really good in this novela.

oleada
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
I haven't watched a Televisa production in a while, but I like them better than the other Mexican soaps. They're so formulaic, though! I do like that Colombian novelas tend to be a little more varied. However, Colombian novelas are never aired on Univision, so if I want to watch those when I'm in the US, it's Telemundo.

I went and saw some YT clips of La Usurpadora and Spanic's overacting is still :rofl:. But it's awful. Do you know why her and her sister are estranged?

Have you seen the remake of Corazón Salvaje, El Rey? I've heard it's terrible and that the acting is spectacularly awful. Of course, now I'm tempted to watch it!

El Rey
08-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I started to watch Corazon Salvaje, but there were a few weeks where I didn't have time to watch. One day I sat down to watch it but it wasn't being shown. I figured it had ended already, but come to find out that they had just moved it to late night television because it was doing horribly!. I didn't think it was that bad. I guess my standards aren't very high. Although I really like period piece novelas - Yo compro esa mujer, Alborada, Amor Real, Pasión.

I guess the reason I don't really like Telemundo is because they do show non-mexican novelas. Somehow they seem so "foreign" to me.

I don't know why Gaby and her sister don't speak. Although some place the blame on her sister's husband.

oleada
08-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh, and Gaby looked a million times better before she did whatever it is she did to her face.

I'm not too into the period soaps, but i loved the teen ones. Never got into Rebelde, though.

Nomad
08-26-2010, 10:18 PM
When La Fea Más Bella was airing, I got sucked into Heridas de Amor. Diana Bracho was an awesome telenovillainess.

For sheer nuttiness, though, La Estrambótica Anastasia. I came in on the middle of that and never could figure it out, but it involved a necklace of Catherine the Great, which was cursed; some dude running around with a snake killing off the cast one by one; and what I can only describe as the Spectral Ducks of Death, which appeared out of nowhere to terrorize anyone who tried to wear the accursed necklace. I guess that was supposed to be a Hitchcock reference, and they probably wanted a bird of prey, but they were on a tight budget and had to swipe a couple waterfowl from the local park instead.

Fergus
08-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Years ago, some ladies at the office got me hooked on Maria la del Barrio. That was some addictive :kickass: television! :watch:

Nomad
08-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Years ago, some ladies at the office got me hooked on Maria la del Barrio. That was some addictive :kickass: television! :watch:

Nomad is off to netflix...

chipso1
08-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I remember watching Destinos in my high school advanced Spanish classes. Oh, the :drama:!

I tend to navigate more towards the talk shows on Univision rather than the telenovelas, but both are good times. :D

oleada
08-27-2010, 02:40 AM

Talía & her Maria novelas. They were all the same but totally addictive....Maria la del Barrio & Marimar are my first telenovela memories.

I remember watching Destinos in my high school advanced Spanish classes. Oh, the !

I tend to navigate more towards the talk shows on Univision rather than the telenovelas, but both are good times.

I do think they are a good way to understand the language...they speak so dramatically and clearly (for the most part) :drama:

Rex
08-27-2010, 03:20 AM
Which novela is William Levy Guiterrez in? :swoon:

Nomad
08-27-2010, 03:21 AM
^ So that's who Talía is. She guested on a few episodes of La Fea Más Bella but I had no idea who she was. I just assumed she was a pop-tart, like Britney or .... well, whoever the current singing sex kitten du jour is.

oleada
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM

Sortilegio. My coworkers loved him. But, uh, he has bigger things going on right now:

Mexican Soap Star Sued for Assault (http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/19/Mexican_Soap_Hunk_Sued_for_Assault/)

^ So that's who Talía is. She guested on a few episodes of La Fea Más Bella but I had no idea who she was. I just assumed she was a pop-tart, like Britney or .... well, whoever the current singing sex kitten du jour is.

Oh, no, Thalia is way beyond pop tart.

Nomad
08-27-2010, 03:25 AM

He was in Acorrolada a couple of years ago, playing the beautiful-but-dumb younger brother of the Hero. That wasn't one of the better ones; my favorite character was the housekeeper, Bruna, who looked like a repressed lesbian reform school headmistress in one of those jolly German Expressionist films. And her acting wouldn't have been out of place in that genre, either.

Rex
08-27-2010, 03:34 AM
Sortilegio. My coworkers loved him. But, uh, he has bigger things going on right now:

Mexican Soap Star Sued for Assault (http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/08/19/Mexican_Soap_Hunk_Sued_for_Assault/) :eek: How lurid! Don't know if I believe the coming-out thing. But what a hot POA he is.

He was in Acorrolada a couple of years ago, playing the beautiful-but-dumb younger brother of the Hero. That wasn't one of the better ones; my favorite character was the housekeeper, Bruna, who looked like a lesbian reform school headmistress in one of those jolly German Expressionist films. And her acting wouldn't have been out of place in that genre, either. :rofl: LOVE that description of housekeeper....

I do remember Lazos de Familia, but I think that it was Brazilian dubbed in Spanish.