PDA

View Full Version : Astrology believers?

Jot the Dot Dot
08-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Any astrology believers here? I never was, just seems like nonsense. Harmless? I knew this one couple who broke up because he was a Sagitairious and she was a Matawita.

Polymer Bob
08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I've never believed in that stuff. Though last night, I had this dream that I turned over a playing card, and it was the queen of diamonds. When I got up this morning, I took this deck of cards I have in my room, and turned over the top card.

........ That's right ..... the queen of diamonds! :eek:

Bev Johnston
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I've never believed in that stuff. Though last night, I had this dream that I turned over a playing card, and it was the queen of diamonds. When I got up this morning, I took this deck of cards I have in my room, and turned over the top card.

........ That's right ..... the queen of diamonds! :eek:

Cue "Twilight Zone" theme...

I'm not saying that I believe in it completely, but I do think that the position of the moon and other heavenly bodies may play some part in how we feel and our moods. I will never plan my life around it, though, lol.

I had a dream last night that my ears were really big and I had to take special care to clean them. Luckily, when I woke up this morning, my ears were their normal size.

Norlite
08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I had this dream that I turned over a playing card, and it was the queen of diamonds.

I had a dream last night that my ears were really big and I had to take special care to clean them.

I had a dream last night I had sex with my neighbour. This was a different neighbour than the one in my dream a couple weeks ago.

milanessa
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I had a dream last night I had sex with my neighbour. This was a different neighbour than the one in my dream a couple weeks ago.

:rofl: You should put out a shingle.

Aimless
08-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I think we are driven on conscious and unconscious levels to use some means or other to divide people into groups--either by skin color or age or by IQ or nationality or profession or some equally meaningless criteria. Astrology makes only slightly less sense than any of these. In fact it may be less harmful, who knows. Astrology is at least a little more subtle, humane, and nuanced a way to group people than the others I mentioned, though it may be just as false. What is less objectionable: "oh, I wouldn't want my daughter to date a plumber/black man/Italian/Sagittarius."

The fact of the matter is that people just don't divide neatly and cleanly into groups but there are so many of us that our brains look for ways to classify people so it's all a bit more manageable even if it's inaccurate.

Matryeshka
08-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Whether we remember them or not, in a normal sleep night of 6-8 hours, we have between 5-7 dreams. Chances are, one of them will end up "coming true." Sort of the same principal as even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

The zodiac signs are all wrong anyway--the universe does not stay still. The charts that are still used for the signs are out of date. For example, I'm Pisces according to the original zodiac signs, however, if you look at the actual star that I was born under, I'm one of the A signs--I can't remember which. Horroscopes are also written so vaguely--today you will meet someone. Well, I meet people everyday. :P Reading it might make you more likely to meet someone because it's put the thought in your head, so you're more receptive to others than you might normally be.

I'm not sure astrology is less harmful--I'm addicted to those house shows on HGTV. I remember once on Property Virgins, this couple was trying to buy a house, but the owner of it wouldn't see because according to her astrology chart, it was the wrong time to enter into any business contract. :rofl: I have known people that have quite seriously asked people what their sign was and either dismiss the other person out of hand or ignore signs they weren't right because the signs "matched."

Reuven
08-27-2010, 12:21 AM
A couple of things:
Just how likely is it that one twelfth of the world’s population is having the same kind of day?
How can astrology be just as “accurate" with 5 planets-err,6-whoops, found another one- 8, nope there’s one more-9 planets, as with -what? it’s NOT a planet? 8 planets?

CantALoop
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
The zodiac signs are all wrong anyway--the universe does not stay still. The charts that are still used for the signs are out of date. For example, I'm Pisces according to the original zodiac signs, however, if you look at the actual star that I was born under, I'm one of the A signs--I can't remember which.

Yup, you're exactly right. Bill Nye has described this phenomenon very eloquently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU).

I think Voltaire said it best when he described the relationship between astrology and astronomy as being the "mad daughter of a wise mother".

Jot the Dot Dot
08-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Yup, you're exactly right. Bill Nye has described this phenomenon very eloquently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQPFoDkGFrU).

I think Voltaire said it best when he described the relationship between astrology and astronomy as being the "mad daughter of a wise mother".

Thanks for the link. Here's another way to hand it, with Pythonesque humour. Go to http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode37.htm and scroll down to the conversation with Mrs. O and Mrs. Trepidation (I tried to look for it on YouTube, couldn't find it).