PDA

View Full Version : New fall tv shows.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Bostonfan
09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
This article (non-spoilery) is about the Event and how they plan to give answers on a rotational basis.

Ten Things to Know About the Event from the Show's Creator:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/09/20/the-event-nbc/

6. The plan is to pay off mini-arcs within the season every five or six episodes, and answers will not be held back for inordinate periods of time. "There will be big reveals and big clues in each episode," Wauters said. "It will be a balance between a mystery and a thriller and a character piece, and there's always a little touch of sci-fi. But that's one of many elements. Sometimes you'll forget it's there until something weird happens again."

Desperado
09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
What did you think of Lost Girl? It thought it was just ok. Some interesting ideas, but they seemed to be trying too hard: "we're trying to create a demon universe that no one else has done before." And they tried to cram way too much into the first episode -- a common mistake in North American TV series. I'll watch 1 more episode at least, but it up against Masterpiece and New Tricks, so I might give this one a miss.

Being Human, oth, I loved. Not sure when Showcase will pick up season 2, but I see that it's out on DVD later this month.
I've watched at lot of supernatural/sci fi shows over the years and I find that Lost Girl looks really cheaply made. I wasn't thinking that for Blood Ties, another Canadian production filmed in Toronto so I don't know what it is. I also have to say that I'm not a fan of the female leads. The younger girl grates and the other one... not too sure about her acting abilities. I do like the cops, the bartender and the doctor though so I'll keep watching. I also like that they got the main characters to have sex right away instead of dragging it for years. That scene though was quite tame for Showcase so I was disappointed. ;)

I emailed the network to ask when to expect Being Human Season 2 but never got an answer....

Norlite
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I just watched The Event and it was highly annoying until the last 10 minutes. Now I'm interested, but it's qualified interest. I'm less concerned about answers and more concerned about constant shifting back and forth in time. And making the characters a hell of a lot more memorable than they were tonight.

I fell asleep :wuzrobbed:

I'm trying to find it online, on a channel I can watch in Canada, but I don't think it exists.

I did decide to follow the producers on Twitter though. Apparently they are answering fan questions.

rfisher
09-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I stumbled across Terriers on FX last Wednesday at 10:00pm and thouroughly enjoyed it.

Here's more:

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/terriers/

So did I. FX will keep it around. They like to let shows grow and figure the FX audience will watch.

I checked out The Event tonight and I thought it was pretty good. I'll definitely watch that show again and I hope they answer questions a little faster in upcoming episodes. I can't get hooked on another show that doesn't answer questions along the way (aka, FlashForward, Lost, etc). :P I've been watching Hawaii Five O tonight too and that one is all ready a ton of fun. I love the cast, the story keeps your attention with all the action, and I think it's going to be a keeper for me. They just used the "Book him Dano" line which made my night and I really need to remember that Daniel Dae Kim's character is not Jin from Lost, LOL :lol:

I'll watch the Event. I was humming the 5-0 theme before the show started and explaining to my son that it was the best part of the show along with the surfing shots. :rofl: And we cheered when the "Book em Dano" line occurred. This has got way more humor than the original. Dano would never have hit McGarrett in the original! Thank goodness I have two DVRs.

Did anybody watch Atlantic City Boardwalk Sunday night? I can't figure out who shot the Italian mobster listening to Caruso at the end or exactly why? Young Lucky Luciano was hot. Young Al Capone looked like a thug already.

Satellitegirl
09-21-2010, 03:26 PM
I really enjoyed Terriers as well. Watched the pilot, but forgot to watch last week. Will make sure to DVR it this week.

skatesindreams
09-21-2010, 03:53 PM
I watched Hawaii 5-0; and liked it.
Let's see how it "builds".

genevieve
09-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm trying to find it online, on a channel I can watch in Canada, but I don't think it exists.

Can you watch hulu in Canada? cause I'm sure it will be there.

I thought Hawaii 5-0 was amiable enough. Sadly, the two I thought would be my favorites (Jin and Boomer) were the weak links, but maybe just because I have their previous characters too ingrained in my mind). Alex O'Loughlin was good in a generic way, but Scott Caan was great! I will give it another chance just for him - he's both very funny and has some depth to his character that the others currently lack.

And I didn't even realize that my beloved Spike was the bad guy until the fight to the death :( James Marsters needs more work! BTW, did Caprica get picked up for a 2nd season? I haven't heard anything about it.

MarieM
09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Caprica was signed for a two part second season YEAH ! :)

Buzz
09-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I liked Hawaii 5-0 but then again I never saw the original. I could not get into The Chase and doubt I will be watching it again. I missed the season opener of Castle but I know the show is on a local channel later in the week so I will catch it then. :)

genevieve
09-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I know someone said Chase was great, but I couldn't get beyond how awful the ads make it look. I don't even want to invest an hour to find out if I'm wrong - plus, ABC does not have a good track record with Mondays at 10pm. I doubt this show will last the whole season, and I don't want to get invested in something with an overarching story only to have it disappear (RIP MY Own Worst Enemy, which was getting really good when they pulled the plug).

Desperado
09-21-2010, 05:39 PM
I toyed between Castle, Hawai 5-0 and The Chase. I was hooked on Castle before (yeah Nathan Fillion!) and nothing I saw on the other two shows made me want to change my preference. I would give another chance to Hawai if it were on at another day/time though even if I wasn't bold over by the lead's performance. I really liked him on Moonlight so I don't know what it is.

Artemis@BC
09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I recorded Castle so I could watch Hawaii 5-0. It was ok -- some witty dialogue, easy-on-the-eyes leads with good chemistry ... but I'm not sure that will be enough to keep me watching. Especially since there was waaay too much "hey, we have complete impunity from the Governor so we're going to kill anyone we want and not give a crap about anyone's civil rights." Not cool, not entertaining. I'll give it one more week, but if there's any more of that next week, I'm done.

Recorded The Event too coz I was pretty sure I'd want to do some rewinding. Not sure I want to get hooked on another "we're creating a mystery because we can" series, but I really like Jason Ritter.

modern_muslimah
09-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I know someone said Chase was great, but I couldn't get beyond how awful the ads make it look. I don't even want to invest an hour to find out if I'm wrong - plus, ABC does not have a good track record with Mondays at 10pm. I doubt this show will last the whole season, and I don't want to get invested in something with an overarching story only to have it disappear (RIP MY Own Worst Enemy, which was getting really good when they pulled the plug).

I was surprised. I actually liked it. I only watched it because it came on after The Event and there was nothing else on TV that I wanted to watch. I have a feeling that it will get cancelled. It is a bit slow moving.

modern_muslimah
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I just watched The Event and it was highly annoying until the last 10 minutes. Now I'm interested, but it's qualified interest. I'm less concerned about answers and more concerned about constant shifting back and forth in time. And making the characters a hell of a lot more memorable than they were tonight.

ITA. All the time shifting was getting on my nerves and giving me a headache. I am curious about exactly what is going on (what's up with all the time shifting?) but the characters did not grab me at all and they all seemed really flat. I know that NBC is trying to market the show as a combo of Lost and 24 but one of the things that made those shows so engaging was that you weren't just concerned about the plot but you actually cared about the characters and you could relate to them because they all their quirks and good qualities.

genevieve
09-21-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm hoping the time shift was just a device for the pilot (or at least how much they used it was). I mean, it was interesting once you started seeing the same scene from different angles, and there was a payoff in the end...but the characters weren't quite compelling enough. Jason Ritter was great in Joan of Arcadia, and The Class (I might be the only person who watched that show but it started dumb and got really smart)...but here he doesn't have enough weight to his portrayal to really pull me in. And the fiancee is so generic I expected her to be killed off by the end of the ep. Quite frankly, I don't care that she was kidnapped. Hopefully I'll change my mind.

Kerry Weaver is always compelling :cool: