PDA

View Full Version : New fall tv shows.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Artemis@BC
08-30-2010, 05:53 PM
MIKE & MOLLY: Will do much better in Canada than the US because we're less sensitive about controversial issues. Two overweight people find love. Sidekicks are hilarious,but the fat jokes won't go over as well in the bible belt. From Chuck Lorre who brought us Two and a Half Men and Big Bang. This will be a hit.

I'll give this one a look-see, but the pedigree doesn't hold too much weight (pun intentional) with me. I think Big Bang Theory is one of the funniest sitcoms ever ... but Two and a Half is annoying in the extreme. So we'll see.

MR. SUNSHINE: No idea what happened to this show. I saw an extended trailer for it and cracked right up. Airing in Canada. Matthew Perry helps manage an arena that has all kinds of wacky events. His boss, the head lady of the org, is batshit mental but hysterical.

I've been looking forward to this one too since I first saw the trailer. I like Matt Perry but I'm really anticipating it because it also marks the return of the always-fabulous Allison Janney. ABC has it listed on their site as part of the fall season, but no date yet -- probably waiting to see which shows bite it after a couple of episodes.

Can't say anything else on the preview list says "must see" ... but I'll probably check out:

~ Running Wilde
~ #$!% My Dad Says
~ Law & Order LA
~ The Event
~ Outsourced

HeatherC
08-31-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm looking forward to Mr. Sunshine, The Whole Truth, Outsourced, and I might check out The Event but nothing else has really caught my attention yet. I haven't gotten my Entertainment Weekly Fall TV Preview issue yet (it may not be out for another week or two) so I may check out another show or two after reading more about them. I refuse to watch Chase basically for the same reason I never watched Mercy last year. NBC overpromoted the crap out of it and it annoyed me so much that I vowed to avoid it like the plague. Chase is right up there with Mercy as one of those shows that I just can't watch after seeing one too many promos for it. Spread things out more NBC! :yikes:

VIETgrlTerifa
08-31-2010, 04:09 AM
That show with Jimmy Smitts called Outlaw about the Supreme Court justice that resigns so he can shake up the system as an attorney with his sidekick (the guy from Bring it On and Swim Fan who looks thoroughly confused throughout the promos) so he can tell judges what they should do (and he knows because he used to be one of them!) sounds and looks really stupid and preachy.

Clytie
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM
I loved the original Nikita with Peta Wilson and Roy Dupuis. It was'nt exactly high quality but I thought the two leads were great, both well cast, and had excellent chemistry. Well except for their hair in the last season.

That said I will probably only catch Nikita out of the new shows. I love shows about badass women. I've checked out some of the cast and can't say I am overly impressed but they could translate better than I think.

Undercovers I am not so excited about. I really liked Alias the first season but then it lost me. Of course the major reason was Vaughn was a bore. Victor Garber was excellent, wish they could find a similar well suited role for him on tv. No doubt Undercovers will look good. Alias always did.

So Joley Richardson got canned. I thought there some was vague blind item a couple of months ago that alot of people felt was about Rob Morrow, indicating he might get recast. Something about wanting to change storylines to include more about his characters sex life. Of course its gossip so whose knows. I know a guy who does movie work and he loves working with Russell Crowe, says he's fantastic. You have to take all these gossip things with a grain of salt.

I would love to see The Hunger Games as a tv show. Of course am not sure tv could do it justice but I guess I am just wary of the planned movie.

genevieve
08-31-2010, 03:39 PM
So Joley Richardson got canned. I thought there some was vague blind item a couple of months ago that alot of people felt was about Rob Morrow, indicating he might get recast. Something about wanting to change storylines to include more about his characters sex life.

Wasn't Tom Selleck one of the people being discussed as being the subject as well? I recall a lot of folks were bringing up Alex O'Loughlin, but he's not anywhere near a big enough star. Really, I just couldn't believe it wasn't about Rob Lowe :lol: but he doesn't have a show coming up, or not one where he has a big enough presence anyway.

Desperado
08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
I like my shows light so I'm looking forward to The Pretenders and Hawaii 5-0. Now that you guys have told me about the new Dana Delaney show and The Chase though, I'm up for trying them too. I'm thinking that TC might remind me a little too much of In Plain Sight - same strong looking blond lead, probably has intimacy issues too ;) - which bored me a little this year, but I'll still check it out.

I watched pretty much all of the eps of the old Nikita series and I hated the violence and sense of despair of the thing but I couldn't keep away from the Nikita/Roy Dupuis chemistry, LOL. The new Nikita does nothing for me, she looks like a strong wind could throw her down, not at all like the super fighting/killing Mata Hari character she's portraying.

Yep, I'm picky. :D

Artemis@BC
08-31-2010, 04:54 PM
That show with Jimmy Smitts called Outlaw about the Supreme Court justice that resigns so he can shake up the system ...

Oh yea, I forgot about that one. I think it could go either way. I mean, do we really need another lawyer show? But then I really like Smitts ... so I'll probably tune in for the first episode at least.

sk8sue
09-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I miss getting the TV Guide with all of the new shows described in one issue. I know that you can get the information easily enough online, but it just doesn't seem the same. Perhaps I'll look for the Entertainment Weekly fall tv issue, or have I already missed it?

This is a slightly different track, but US and Canadian tv will debut the new BBC series Sherlock this fall. I saw it a few weeks ago, shortly after it debuted in Britain, and haven't been so invested straight from the first episode of a new series since LOST. I'm not usually the type to like having a classic story updated to contemporary times, and I was doubtful before I saw this for myself, but this is just so well done. It's fascinating to see how the character of Sherlock Holmes translates to the 21st century (hint--lots of texting and multiple nicotine patches). The scripting and the chemistry between Holmes and Watson is outstanding. There's only 3 90-minute episodes so far, but 3 more have been commissioned for next year. Episodes 1 and 3 are breathtaking, episode 2 is good, but a bit of a lull. It's co-created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who each wrote an episode.

Here's a BBC promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQq_bC5kIw) and, even better, a four-minute segment from the premiere episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BWaRxlJo&feature=related).

I wanted to mention it because I haven't even seen any promotion for it in Canada and it starts airing today on Showcase (http://www.showcase.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?Root_Title_Id=258797). The schedule is in the link. It deserves to be seen, but nobody will even know about it unless there's some promotion in the press today.

It will also be shown on PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html) as part of their Masterpiece Mystery series starting on October 24.

genevieve
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
I watched Nikita last night - it was pretty good. It felt a bit like what Dollhouse was trying to be (RIP Dollhouse!). Maggie Q was fantastic. I never watched the earlier film or tv show, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I look forward to watching this one.

On the other end of the spectrum, I watched Hellcats the other night and loved it. It's being panned right and left and apparently didn't get good ratings, so who knows if it'll stick around but I thought it was a great show to watch after ANTM.

Buzz
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I was a fan of the original tv series and found this new show not quite as good as the original.

Artemis@BC
09-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Hey sk8sue, thanks for the heads up on Sherlock. It looks like Showcase is showing each episode 4 times -- I should be home in time to catch the 10:00 one tonight, if not there's another repeat tomorrow. I really like Benedict Cumberbatch, so that's another reason to check this out as far as I'm concerned (aside from the fact that I love pretty much all British mysteries, in either book or TV form). Plus Steven Moffat can do no wrong in my eyes.

Speaking of British mysteries (sort of) ... did you see that CityTV is picking up the new season of Law & Order UK, starting next Thursday? Something else to look forward to. I really loved the 1st season, I just hope they come up with some original storylines instead of recycling ones from the original US series.

Bostonfan
09-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I miss getting the TV Guide with all of the new shows described in one issue.

It just came in my mailbox yesterday, so it's out on newsstands this week.

manhn
09-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I liked Nikita alright (I love Shane West) but I am all about Hellcats. The Rachel Berry cheerleader is great. The show is like diet pepsi--not good for you but no calories!

Satellitegirl
09-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I miss getting the TV Guide with all of the new shows described in one issue. I know that you can get the information easily enough online, but it just doesn't seem the same. Perhaps I'll look for the Entertainment Weekly fall tv issue, or have I already missed it?

This is a slightly different track, but US and Canadian tv will debut the new BBC series Sherlock this fall. I saw it a few weeks ago, shortly after it debuted in Britain, and haven't been so invested straight from the first episode of a new series since LOST. I'm not usually the type to like having a classic story updated to contemporary times, and I was doubtful before I saw this for myself, but this is just so well done. It's fascinating to see how the character of Sherlock Holmes translates to the 21st century (hint--lots of texting and multiple nicotine patches). The scripting and the chemistry between Holmes and Watson is outstanding. There's only 3 90-minute episodes so far, but 3 more have been commissioned for next year. Episodes 1 and 3 are breathtaking, episode 2 is good, but a bit of a lull. It's co-created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who each wrote an episode.

Here's a BBC promo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQq_bC5kIw) and, even better, a four-minute segment from the premiere episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n1BWaRxlJo&feature=related).

I wanted to mention it because I haven't even seen any promotion for it in Canada and it starts airing today on Showcase (http://www.showcase.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?Root_Title_Id=258797). The schedule is in the link. It deserves to be seen, but nobody will even know about it unless there's some promotion in the press today.

It will also be shown on PBS (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sherlock/index.html) as part of their Masterpiece Mystery series starting on October 24.

Apparently it was on PBS this summer in Massachusetts....I mentioned it to my friend and he's already seen it. I look forward to watching it!

sk8sue
09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey sk8sue, thanks for the heads up on Sherlock. It looks like Showcase is showing each episode 4 times -- I should be home in time to catch the 10:00 one tonight, if not there's another repeat tomorrow. I really like Benedict Cumberbatch, so that's another reason to check this out as far as I'm concerned (aside from the fact that I love pretty much all British mysteries, in either book or TV form).

That makes me very happy; thanks for letting me know. I see that the Globe & Mail and Montreal Gazette have posted recommendations so maybe it'll get a good audience. I watched at 11 am and it's too bad that the commercial breaks disrupt the momentum of the original, but it should be commercial-free on PBS, or almost. Did you see the promo on the PBS site? I like it better than the BBC one. Btw, I see news that the BBC may be launching a global version of the iplayer, so we may soon have an easier way to see these shows without having to wait weeks or months or search all over.

Plus Steven Moffat can do no wrong in my eyes.

I keep hearing about how great Jekyll is. One of these days I'll have to get it out of my library and see for myself. I've loved his episodes of Doctor Who. On the other hand, I'd never seen Benedict Cumberbatch in anything before, but certainly would be interested now. Anything you'd recommend?

Speaking of British mysteries (sort of) ... did you see that CityTV is picking up the new season of Law & Order UK, starting next Thursday? Something else to look forward to. I really loved the 1st season, I just hope they come up with some original storylines instead of recycling ones from the original US series.

No, I hadn't seen that; thanks. Is that the show that Freema Agyeman went to after Doctor Who? I'll certainly check it out.

It just came in my mailbox yesterday, so it's out on newsstands this week.

Thanks. I should have been more specific that it's the Canadian TV Guide which has been discontinued in its printed form which I used to get. Have you seen the fall preview issue of Entertainment Weekly yet?