PDA

View Full Version : New fall tv shows.....

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

pat c
10-20-2010, 03:25 AM
No way can the Good Wife be cancelled. I'm watching it right now - I love Kalinda. Now that's a way to handle a situation. :lol:

oleada
10-20-2010, 03:36 AM
Kalinda was so, so badass tonight, even more than she usually is :lol:

I agree, it's not going anywhere. It does well and has tons of critical success, as well.

ks777
10-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Raising hope is pretty funny. I used to have a neighbor (4yrs older girl) who used to pull her hair out and eat them when we were kids. I always wonder why she was eating hair.. anyways, she didn't have much hair left so always wore a hat. She once asked me to slap her hand if I catch her pulling her hair out.. so I did slap her hand when noticed her doing it.. she slap my face hard and kicked my ass.. so I never tried to help her again.

rjblue
10-20-2010, 04:16 AM
It's not about the total viewership. It's about ratings within key demos, and so what you need to look at are not the "million viewers" line, but things like A18-49.It's disconcerting to know that I only have 10 more months to matter. I think I'll go out to the store and buy the next brand of toilet paper that I see advertised- just to prove to myself that I am not a brand-loyal old fogey.

Buzz
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Raising hope is pretty funny. I used to have a neighbor (4yrs older girl) who used to pull her hair out and eat them when we were kids. I always wonder why she was eating hair.. anyways, she didn't have much hair left so always wore a hat. She once asked me to slap her hand if I catch her pulling her hair out.. so I did slap her hand when noticed her doing it.. she slap my face hard and kicked my ass.. so I never tried to help her again.

I watched raising hope for the first time last night and love it. But that story of yours is a bit creepy. :yikes:

GarrAarghHrumph
10-20-2010, 02:49 PM
The Good Wife was the 10th most watched show for the week of October 4th to 10th:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-weekly-ratings,0,7508066.htmlstory

You can't necessarily judge based on only one week's worth of data. If you look at your link now, you'll see the numbers now show for Oct 11-17, where The Good Wife was the 17th most watched show. Overall for the season so far, it's in 18th:

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-season-ratings,0,1937498.htmlstory

It got better ratings than Grey's Anatomy, CSI, The Big Bang Theory, Desperate Housewives and Survivor. Should we expect all of these shows to be cancelled as well? :lol:

As I'd mentioned earlier, it's not about total viewers, it's about who is viewing. It's about ratings within certain key demographics that the network is "selling" to its advertisers. It's also dependent upon the other things I'd mentioned, earlier - how expensive is the show to make, does the network itself have a financial stake in its production (or are they, for example, basically paying NBC for the show), etc. How well does the show fit within the CBS "package" of shows? How are other CBS dramas doing in comparison? Do they have something that they like that they can replace it with? Etc.

Plus The Good Wife's first season had Emmy nominates for best drama, best actress, two supporting actress nominations (with a win for Archie Panjabi), among other nominations. I can't imagine it is going ANYWHERE.

The thing is, and I hate to say this, but a tv show lives and dies on its ratings, not on its critical acclaim. The business model of the networks in the US isn't built upon Emmy nods, it's built upon advertising dollars. I've seen networks go both ways - renewing stuff that's critically acclaimed but not doing great in the ratings, and cancelling stuff like that. It really depends on what CBS considers a priority right now.

What I actually think could save TGW is that it's usually the best rated show in its time slot - the other networks, during that hour, are worse - and I don't know that CBS necessarily has anything ready to replace it.

Bev Johnston
10-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Off topic:
Sounds like she had Trichotillomania with Pica:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(disorder)

On topic:
Love Raising Hope and glad to hear it got the full season order.

oleada
10-20-2010, 03:03 PM
It would suck if TGW was moved or cancelled. It's pretty much the only original, intriguing show on CBS. Everything else is cookie cutter.

GarrAarghHrumph
10-20-2010, 03:09 PM
It would suck if TGW was moved or cancelled. It's pretty much the only original, intriguing show on CBS. Everything else is cookie cutter.

It really is cookie cutter, for the most part. Networks, IMO, fear doing anything different, to the point where it's the same production companies, the same writers, the same actors, etc. So you don't tend to see a lot that's new.

Then again, they aren't necessarily wrong to do this; because when they do take a risk, it so often fails. So instead - and no offense to Law and Order, a show I actually like - we get L&O, L&O SVU, L&O that other one, L&O LA, L&O UK, CSI, CSI NY, CSI Miami, NCIS, NCIS NY, NCIS Framingham, NCIS in Joe's house... :lol:

PeterG
10-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I saw in the newspaper that NBC has given full-season renewals to Outsourced, The Event and Law And Order: L.A.

Outsourced is doing well with young people (which advertisers like) and the other two shows are doing better than the shows that were in those time slots last year.

Good news for me as Outsourced and The Event are two of the four new shows I'm still watching (along with Nikita and If You Really Knew Me).

rjblue
10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I finally found a station to stream The Event on in Canada, so I watched the first episode last night. It took some willpower to not watch the second one (it was midnight), but I can't wait to watch the next three, and I'm glad they've got the whole season now.

Norlite
10-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Gotta say, Law and Order LA kinda sucks.

Bev Johnston
10-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Good news for me as Outsourced and The Event are two of the four new shows I'm still watching (along with Nikita and If You Really Knew Me).

That's good news for me, too. Real outsourcing was a fact of life with my former employer, so I was hoping that this show would shed some humor on the situation. It has and I really like it.

I caught part of The Event on one of those cable channels that re-runs NBC shows on the weekend (can't remember which one). It was late and I fell asleep, but what I saw intrigued me enough to look for and watch what I missed on Hulu.

AliasJohnDoe
10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
I caught part of The Event on one of those cable channels that re-runs NBC shows on the weekend (can't remember which one). It was late and I fell asleep, but what I saw intrigued me enough to look for and watch what I missed on Hulu.

The SyFy Channel repeated all 3-4 episodes of "The Event" in one night. It was very late at night though. I'd also noticed USA Network repeated the episodes. So that's probably where you saw it.

genevieve
10-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Gotta say, Law and Order LA kinda sucks.
I saw an ep of it when I was at my mom's last week and I don;t remember a blessed thing about it, other than my mom saying "why did they make this? why is this better than the NY version that they just cancelled?"