PDA

View Full Version : School Fees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Aceon6
08-29-2010, 07:07 PM
All a friend's little girl asked for when they were buying school supplies was 2 packs of pretty pencils. The list wanted 2 packs of yellow #2 pencils. So, they bought both and just put a few pretty ones in her pencil box. The teacher took them up and told her that she couldn't have them so don't bring anymore. The next day she went in and told her that her mom wanted her pencils back and she gave them to her. But she told her not to bring anymore for the rest of the year.

Hmmmm. Does the district have a problem with little kids expressing a bit of individuality? Or is the teacher planning on avoiding any supply problems by "reassigning" those yellow pencils? And why two packs? Children who are good with their things will probably use only half a pack in the entire school year while kids who don't care will lose 24 in the first month of school.

numbers123
08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
as a mother who used holiday designed pencils as party favors, I can tell you that there were BIG discussions on who would get the pumpkin ones, the skeleton ones, etc. And it was a big time decision, which could take up to 5 minutes. Then they wanted to exchange them once their friend had a different one.

As for 2 packages, I can totally understand the need for that many. Even the best of children who take care of their things love the pencil sharpers, run out of eraser at the top of the pencil (yes, yes I know they are supposed to have an eraser in their school supplies, but how many of US stop to look for the eraser when there is one on the top of the pencil), etc.

The 2 packages of pretty pencils can be used at home for the homework assignments and would not be shared with anyone.

millyskate
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
I've always been accustomed to paying for all stationery and most textbooks, but the idea of a teacher asking the pupils to fund their own supplies begs belief! What a crazy world we live in.

I also find it sad that schools are asking children to provide toilet paper etc...

millyskate
08-29-2010, 10:06 PM
I never liked giving extra credit. I discovered that the best incentive for high school kids was the "late homework pass"--a coupon that allowed them to turn something in a day late without losing points. They would do about anything to get one of those that was valid for an essay in English class :)

Brilliant idea :cheer:

Really
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Hmmmm. Does the district have a problem with little kids expressing a bit of individuality? Or is the teacher planning on avoiding any supply problems by "reassigning" those yellow pencils? And why two packs? Children who are good with their things will probably use only half a pack in the entire school year while kids who don't care will lose 24 in the first month of school.The teacher was probably trying to avoid the inevitable tears when the 'pretty' pencils went missing and no one would own up to taking them. And numbers is right -- little ones love the pencil sharpeners. The older kids just lose them. I always have a stash of cheap pencils to avoid the "I have nothing to write with" excuse.

Prancer
08-29-2010, 10:30 PM
The teacher was probably trying to avoid the inevitable tears when the 'pretty' pencils went missing and no one would own up to taking them.

I learned right away that if you are going to get your kids pretty pencils, you get the ones with the kids' names on them.

And for erasers, I have found that kids much prefer these (http://www.amazon.com/Clic-Eraser-Pencil-Style-Grip-Blue/dp/B001E6A112/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1283117244&sr=1-12) to the big pink ones. They mostly doodle on the big pink ones. OTOH, the big pink ones never go missing, while the pen style ones do.

cruisin
08-30-2010, 03:25 AM
I like kneaded erasers. They erase and you can play with them :D

Anita18
08-30-2010, 05:24 AM
For me, forever stamps are not about saving 40 cents, but about not having to mess with one and two cent stamps.
I understand that, I was referring mostly to the hoarding one would do before the prices went up another 2 cents. :P

zhenya271
09-01-2010, 10:39 PM
My daughter is in 8th grade and got a h.w. pass for bringing in her common supplies. The grades are divided into teams. The school sent out donation/contribution forms the second week of school. Last year her team apparently raised $1000+ out of the $4000 something the entire middle school raised. She said the teacher said if they wanted to meet what the team reached last year they each needed to bring in $10 but if they want to surpass the team total they each needed to bring in $20. The teacher then added, "I'll give you a h.w. pass.":rolleyes:

Erica Lee
09-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Last year, I provided my own classroom with no less than 100 pencils, 100 pens, several packs of erasers, 10 glue sticks (and this is highschool, use of glue is rare), 15+ boxes of kleenex... all of which was "extras" for students (they're all supposed to bring their own supplies to class) and all of which was consumed or "disappeared". I chose to supply them with my own money in order to pick my battles and not have to deal with "I forgot X, Y, Z.. can I go get it?" or "Can I go to the washroom to blow my nose?". I would also find, on average, 2-3 pens or pencils a day left behind in my classroom. Students just aren't super responsible when it comes to keeping track of such stuff and goodness knows where it all ends up, but we sure do go through a lot of it.

Rock2
09-02-2010, 02:12 AM
I think it's out of control and there's no solution. Parents are screwed. In general, though, governing bodies are paying for less and less so we're becoming a society of user fees. Pay for everything, as you go.

So, schools get minimal funding. Not enough money to pay for what's needed in most teacher's estimation. So they have a choice. Bargain basement education or they try to do more. But I agree the teachers shouldn't have to pay for it, so now the fees come down for everything that's not bare bare essentials.

I support the point made by Erica totally. You suck it up and pay for some things yourself because kids are irresponsible and constantly disrupting the class flow to get kleenex or because they forgot something. No money will come to you to pay for these things.

My brother's kid brings home a note asking for money for this or that about 2-3 times a month. Some things are silly...teacher wants a pizza lunch day. My brother doesn't believe in that but he can't have his kid be the only one not participating.

There was an article in the paper here in Ontario Canada discussing this very issue yesterday.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/local/article/619294--high-school-s-high-cost

I'm glad I don't have kids. My school and school board would be gettin it from me daily.

zhenya271
09-02-2010, 02:47 AM
All a friend's little girl asked for when they were buying school supplies was 2 packs of pretty pencils. The list wanted 2 packs of yellow #2 pencils. So, they bought both and just put a few pretty ones in her pencil box. The teacher took them up and told her that she couldn't have them so don't bring anymore. The next day she went in and told her that her mom wanted her pencils back and she gave them to her. But she told her not to bring anymore for the rest of the year.

Hmmmm. Does the district have a problem with little kids expressing a bit of individuality? Or is the teacher planning on avoiding any supply problems by "reassigning" those yellow pencils? And why two packs? Children who are good with their things will probably use only half a pack in the entire school year while kids who don't care will lose 24 in the first month of school.

as a mother who used holiday designed pencils as party favors, I can tell you that there were BIG discussions on who would get the pumpkin ones, the skeleton ones, etc. And it was a big time decision, which could take up to 5 minutes. Then they wanted to exchange them once their friend had a different one.

As for 2 packages, I can totally understand the need for that many. Even the best of children who take care of their things love the pencil sharpers, run out of eraser at the top of the pencil (yes, yes I know they are supposed to have an eraser in their school supplies, but how many of US stop to look for the eraser when there is one on the top of the pencil), etc.

The 2 packages of pretty pencils can be used at home for the homework assignments and would not be shared with anyone.

I've personally never found novelty pencils to be that great in quality. Sometimes the lead is too light. In general I've seen a decline in even regular pencils the past couple of years when it comes to sharpening even with an electric sharpener. Sometimes the lead pops out or sometimes you have to sharpen half the pencil before you finally get a good tip! Isn't it ridiculous to notice this about pencils?:confused: So anyway, I can see the need for 2 pkgs.:)

cruisin
09-02-2010, 03:28 AM
I don't understand all of this. When I went to school, and when my kids went to school, we/they brought our own paper, pencils, pens, tissues, etc. We got textbooks from the school, which we had to cover at our expense (or not expense with brown grocery bags). This stuff wasn't provided. If we forgot lunch or lunch money, we didn't eat. Unless we could borrow from someone and pay it back the next day. Holiday parties etc. were paid for by PTA fundraisers. What is wrong with kids (today) that they can't keep track of their own things? I think there is too much coddling, they don't learn to be responsible if everything is taken off their shoulders. Why should they get a homework pass for bringing in their parent's money? This isn't about not funding things in school, this stuff was never payed for by the schools. It is just that the schools, now, take the responsibility of preparedness off the kids.

jeffisjeff
09-02-2010, 04:11 AM
I've personally never found novelty pencils to be that great in quality. Sometimes the lead is too light. In general I've seen a decline in even regular pencils the past couple of years when it comes to sharpening even with an electric sharpener. Sometimes the lead pops out or sometimes you have to sharpen half the pencil before you finally get a good tip! Isn't it ridiculous to notice this about pencils?:confused: So anyway, I can see the need for 2 pkgs.:)

:lol: The official 2nd grade supply list called for two dozen pencils. Son's second grade teacher sent a welcome letter to her new students. In it, she urged us to buy good quality pencils. So, she said, we could either get two dozen cheap pencils or, if we go with Ticonderoga brand, we only need one dozen.

I had already bought a bunch of pencils, but totally understood where she was coming from (I hate those cheapo pretty pencils that come in every party goody bag), so I went out and bought a dozen Ticonderoga ones. Definitely worth the $1.25 or whatever it was.

Anita18
09-02-2010, 05:25 AM
No, in the past few days on Boing Boing, there have been several posts (and deep discussion) about the resurgence of Blackwing pencils. :lol: