PDA

View Full Version : School Fees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Aceon6
08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
I know my friend whose son is on the rowing team pays nearly $1,000.00 per year to subsidize him.

Hockey is the worst. It starts at $2,000 and goes up from there. Making the HS team is a BIG deal as it reduces the costs for the parents to a reasonable $500 or so.

cruisin
08-24-2010, 11:14 PM
It just struck me that we are complaining about these costs on a figure skating thread :lol:. When you compare the costs of figure skating to almost anything else - anything else is a bargain!

Susan1
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I believe that you are in a public school district near me, in which case the fees probably cover students materials like agendas and textbook fees (each student pays a small amount that goes into a fund to buy new textbooks when the ones being used wear out) and a similar computer use fee.

Makes sense. And so would the answer about art supplies. But he just turned 13. What grade is that - 8th? Do they have "art" classes?

Um, I'm old enough to be his grandmother (shut up). I have no idea what schools do these days. I went to a Catholic school back in the 60s-70s and I know my parents had to pay tuition and for the uniforms and all that stuff. My cousin has a son who is a senior this year. I know they have fees for EVERYTHING!

Oh, I'm in Miamisburg, Ohio. My friend is up in Piqua. $46 is probably cheap.

Susan1
08-25-2010, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=PDilemma;2852501]

And about the kleenex--for reasons no one I know in education can explain, a lot of schools have stopped buying tissues at all. They go with the each student bring two boxes method instead. At the 6-12 school I just left, all the boxes went to the supply closet and that's where teachers got them for their classrooms. Even at two per student, we always ran out of kleenex before the year was over, and the only way to get them was for teachers to buy them ourselves. Some teenagers can use two boxes in four minutes. They use it as a reason to stand up. Then they stand by the box and use one kleenex after another and mess around with them for no discernible reason.

Funny - yeah. I can see that.

And I use my kleenexes at work to wipe dust off the monitor, crumbs off the desk, etc. If I ever need any for my nose, I would bring in the lotion kind from home. In fact, that's what I got my boss one year for bosses Day - a box of lotion tissues and a bag of cough drops - for obvious reasons.

JumpinBug
08-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Once our kids are in middle school, they do art, sewing, cooking, computers, woodworking, metalwork, music, drama, and French. Yes, all of them, lol. Highest costs are from art, cooking, and metalwork. Although, the instrument cost and upkeep adds up too.

In elementary school, they do art, some schools even have an art room. I have a friend that did nothing but teach art in an elem school. They also use agendas/planners for communication with home, even in the lowest grades. Also, all do computers and music, and some are doing basic horticulture programs.

There was an article in a local paper, complained about why do kids need two boxes of pencils... as at most they'd go through 1 every few weeks. HAHAHAHAHAHA. There's a fair amount of lack of respect for school supplies - I've seen students dump bottles of whiteout on binders for decoration, use pencils as part of paper airplanes, or leave behind a pencil on a table in the library, but not be willing to walk back and get it. Our custodians collect boxes (we're talking big, paper sized boxes) of school supplies from our floors. Heck, I go around in the area outside my classroom and pick up 5-6 a day and put them into my loaner jar... and they're gone every day, as the same kids always lose them.

And then there's paper...

Prancer
08-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Makes sense. And so would the answer about art supplies. But he just turned 13. What grade is that - 8th? Do they have "art" classes?

Thirteen is mostly likely eighth. My kids had art through eighth; in high school, it's an elective.

My friend is up in Piqua.

:scream: You're not kidding that that's not a very good school district, although they have gotten better. I have a niece and a nephew who went there years ago and :yikes:

Forty six dollars for general fees isn't bad. I think our general fees are something like $50 per child--but then we have other fees on top of those.

Athletics here is relative cheap at $60 per student per year. But marching band and color guard? $575 a year. Show choir? $1200 per year. :scream:

redonthehead
08-25-2010, 05:34 AM
Teachers are mandatory reporters of child abuse. If we suspect it (or neglect), we have to call.

Here too. It also includes anyone working with children in any way. Even at church we have to have a background check to stay in the nursery or work with kids to 5th grade.

I do have one question re: bussing for field trips. Do sports teams (football, baseball, etc) pay for the school busses that take them to away games in most schools? If not, why should field trips require that? Unless it is a chartered bus, not a school bus.

Here yes the sport teams and band pay for the buses. They pay a usuage fee, a milage fee, and gas. It can really add up which is why the athletic club just rents charter buses for the away games.

My cousin has a son who is a senior this year. I know they have fees for EVERYTHING!

Yes they do! I spent almost $1700 last year for my daughter's senior year. Every time you turn around during senior year they're wanting more money. That doesn't even include the regular school fees.

Athletics here is relative cheap at $60 per student per year. But marching band and color guard? $575 a year. Show choir? $1200 per year. :scream:

The athletes here don't pay any fees. The athletic club pays for everything. Band? I paid around $150. She would not have been in band if I had had to pay that much! (most of our band wouldn't have been able to afford that either!)

I furnished paper towels, germ x, kleenex, ziplock bags, and expo markers every year that my kids were in elementary school.I didn't mind because my kids might have to use them too. Normally though they had their own germx and Kleenex in their purse/backpack. This year for 8th grade, my son had to have 2 packs of copy paper for his homeroom teacher. My problem with this? He only has that man for 10 minutes a day!

Cupid
08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
When my kids were in parochial school, the first day of school each student was asked to bring 2 rolls of paper towels, two dispensers of Clorox wipes, two boxes of Kleenex. Later in the years there, they were also required to bring I think it was $40 a student to cover costs of party celebrations such as for Halloween, Christmas, and the money went towards crafts or extra food, even though parents were often asked to donate pop, cookies, etc. The money also covered "gifts" for the priests at Christmastime for such items as a gym membership, etc.

It wasn't too bad. I don't think everyone brought in the supplies, but the majority of people tried to.

Prancer
08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Band? I paid around $150. She would not have been in band if I had had to pay that much! (most of our band wouldn't have been able to afford that either!)

A lot of the band expense here is travel expense; they go somewhere for a competition every weekend, and sometimes that includes hotel stays and food. Plus, in addition to the usual uniform stuff, they get a bunch of gear--tour T-shirts, band jackets, two pieces of luggage, matching track suits to wear when they are out of town but not performing, blah blah blah.

As expensive as both band and especially show choir are, they are still supported by a zillion fundraisers to cover all the expenses. And if you have a child in either one, you'd BETTER show up for volunteer shifts.

This year for 8th grade, my son had to have 2 packs of copy paper for his homeroom teacher. My problem with this? He only has that man for 10 minutes a day!

We did that in middle school, too, but it works out okay. Your son will get to use someone else's copy paper.

Murdoch
08-25-2010, 11:10 PM
It's obvious there are some cases that are rather outrageous, but please don't believe that ALL teachers/schools are like that!

(I can't believe I'm defending my profession again...)

My future MIL works at Staples and I am FLOORED at what some teachers put on a supply list for a year. I helped them develop their generic senior high list and it seems to go over well every year. On the flip side of that - I don't think we will ever stop defending our profession.

I remember putting instructional fees for dance and drama together and I had some parents that made me calculate to the penny, which was tough when you weren't exactly sure how much props and costumes would cost.

I supply my own Kleenex. Maybe I should ask for boxes....

Hmmm.

Last year, I went through 24 boxes in my high school classroom. And yes - I paid for them. I never asked students to bring them. I also have ten packs of looseleaf, pencils and pens available for my students. And yes - those are out of pocket as well. The kleenex was out of hand last year, but I had students who did get super sick who brought kleenex in and left it in class... but that one did bug me last year. Beyond that, I suppose I just don't see it as a huge deal. As long as I don't have to buy class sets of $70 textbooks - I am good!

We did that in middle school, too, but it works out okay. Your son will get to use someone else's copy paper.

It is RIDICULOUS how much paper gets consumed in a year. I have started copying EXACTLY how many I need, no extras. But there are teachers who make copies of everything and teachers who barely copy. It does all come out in the wash, of that I am convinced.

Susan1
08-25-2010, 11:33 PM
There was an article in a local paper, complained about why do kids need two boxes of pencils... as at most they'd go through 1 every few weeks. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Reminds me (not school related) of when I used to order office supplies. All the analysts used mechanical pencils - the kind that you just reload lead into them. O.k. - so I was constantly ordering the boxes of lead (and erasers). But it drove me crazy that I had to keep buying more of the pencils too. We're talking adults here - they lost the mechanical pencils, left them at home, in someone else's office, in their cars, etc. So why not spend about a 10th of the cost of buying the pencils and the lead and erasers and use No. 2 pencils? There were shapeners all over the building. No.........we like mechanical pencils. So that's what I had to buy.

Susan1
08-25-2010, 11:40 PM
:scream: You're not kidding that that's not a very good school district, although they have gotten better. I have a niece and a nephew who went there years ago and :yikes:

How do I say this - it's kind of a lower class area? It's definitely cheaper to live up north (of Dayton) than down here. Howwwwwwwwwever, there was an article in the paper today about the local schools' rankings. Piqua is up to 94.7. And Miamisburg has gone down to 97.9 which is only "efficient", compared to "excellent last year!!! Good grief.

numbers123
08-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Later in the years there, they were also required to bring I think it was $40 a student to cover costs of party celebrations such as for Halloween, Christmas, and the money went towards crafts or extra food, even though parents were often asked to donate pop, cookies, etc.

I believe that my parents had to pay a classroom party celebration fee (and I attended public schools). And we paid those for our kids (who were in elementary school in the late 80/early 90). It increased each year as parents were no longer able to bake things or bring in treats due to "scares of injuries" and more children developed significant allergies to things like nuts.

MacMadame
08-26-2010, 12:46 AM
What happens to the parent that just refuses to pay fees or buy products?
Nothing. Well, nothing for the supply lists. They are voluntary most places. I don't know about the fees as my kids never had that.

I think most students have needed and expected to need their own personal school supplies since the dawn of time.
I guess I went to school before the dawn of time then. :D Because elementary schools supplied all school supplies (paper, pencils, folders, etc.) except things like egg cartoons and paper towel rolls for special projects. It wasn't until Jr. High that we were expected to bring our own pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. Also, back then, teachers didn't have rules for what kind of binders we had to bring, paper to use, etc. as seems to be more the norm these days.

My school does not allow students to drive themselves or have parents/guardians drive them to field trips. You either go on the bus, or you don't go. I'm surprised other schools let the kids go on their own--it's an insurance issue.
In our school district, parents often drive kids on field trips but you need to supply proof of insurance and sometimes you need to purchase a rider if your own insurance isn't sufficient.

So why not spend about a 10th of the cost of buying the pencils and the lead and erasers and use No. 2 pencils? There were shapeners all over the building. No.........we like mechanical pencils. So that's what I had to buy.
It's a pretty cheap way to keep super-expensive employees happy. I know one of the things that annoys me about my current job is how hard it is to get decent pens. I had to go into another building and raid their supply cabinet just to find a notebook because the admin in our building refused to supply our group for a long time.

It's crap like that that makes highly-skilled in-demand employees switch jobs because they feel under-appreciated.

redonthehead
08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
A lot of the band expense here is travel expense; they go somewhere for a competition every weekend, and sometimes that includes hotel stays and food. Plus, in addition to the usual uniform stuff, they get a bunch of gear--tour T-shirts, band jackets, two pieces of luggage, matching track suits to wear when they are out of town but not performing, blah blah blah.

Awe ok . Band jackets here are optional but they are expensive. Daughter wore her's exactly twice and said it was too hot! Not liking that I have a $250 jacket hanging up and not worn. What we paid did include the t-shirt that was part of their uniform. This year they have underarmer shorts and shirts which is what I tried to get them to get for 3 years.

As expensive as both band and especially show choir are, they are still supported by a zillion fundraisers to cover all the expenses. And if you have a child in either one, you'd BETTER show up for volunteer shifts.

Yeah well I've fussed about not having enough help on here a lot so you know how I feel about that. I also tried to get them to enforce it that every parent with a kid in there had to help but was told that we couldn't do that. (Umm why not? The atheletic club does!) Again...this year they have made that rule and came up with guidelines to enforce it.

I'm pretty pissed at them! All my ideas didn't benefit my child.

Yeah I know he will use someone else's but I would have rather given it to one/two of his actual teachers than someone he doesn't have. You know?