PDA

View Full Version : Crib Bumper Pads - yes or no

Pages : [1] 2

numbers123
08-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I recently was given a wonderful crib (probably on the upside of $550 or more). I also was given a beautiful crib bedding set (both are the infant crib to toddler bed) that was ~ $250. However, the crib bedding set has bumper pads with it.

Can anyone tell me recent experience in using bumper pads? Yay or Nay? with the back to sleep guidelines, it would seem that the potential to get under the bumper pads might not be a problem. But then I worry about hitting heads on the rails.

New grandma anxiety over doing the right thing :)

AxelAnnie
08-23-2010, 09:23 PM
If you are the grandma...........do what the parents want. That is my rule.

My daughter with her 11 week old is anti-bumper. Her best friend with a 12 week old is pro-bumper. The pro bumper people are of a mind that the possibility of the child getting the arm caught and injured is as large if not larger than the smother in the bumper.

Let us know what you decide :)

Hannahclear
08-23-2010, 10:09 PM
We're in the anti-bumper crowd over here. But it's not like he sleeps in his crib anyway....ha ha ha :rofl:

Aceon6
08-24-2010, 12:02 AM
My niece didn't put the bumper in until her son was 4 months. He's 6 months now and moves all over when he sleeps. He'd probably wake himself up if he crashed into the wood posts.

Really
08-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Daughter used the pads until missy started pulling herself up in the crib. When she lowered the mattress, she got rid of the pads.

IceAlisa
08-24-2010, 02:38 AM
I used a breathable net rather than pads until the age of 10 months or so until Mini Ice got too big to risk SIDS or other hazards. Than bumper pads until he got old enough to use them to climb out of the crib. I guess the window of using them was pretty small. :lol:

Cupid
08-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Yes. My kids were babies around 20 years ago, but bumpers don't smother like blankets will. I would think they would protect the head. But then again, I was told to place baby on her stomach to take a nap, now that has changed.

Skittl1321
08-24-2010, 03:07 AM
My state does not allow daycares to use bumper pads- the daycare I worked in essentially told us our infant room could be shut down if an inspector saw them, even if they were parent provided.

We did have a few chunky kids get arms/legs stuck between the rails, but I don't think it was anything other than an annoyance to get them unstuck- no damage done.

I don't think I would use them because of the smother risk. I sure wouldn't give them a pillow, and that's essentially what this is.

Japanfan
08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
What is a bumper pad? Something like a pillow?

algonquin
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Children's Aid in Ontario (child protection services) will not allow any of their foster homes or adoptive homes to use bumper pads. The Canadian Medical Association advices against using bumper pads. From my understanding, the can create air pockets that make it difficult for the baby to breath.

I did not use bumber pads. My son did get his leg caught in the railings a couple of times. He was fine and rolled right back to sleep after his leg was free. He wasn't chucky BTW.

Skittl1321
08-24-2010, 01:48 PM
He wasn't chucky BTW.

Just to clarify- the chunky comment was kids who got STUCK and needed a teacher to free their leg. Most ever kid had a limb hanging out at sometime or another- and like your son, they were able to roll and free it no problem.

Bailey_
08-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Generally no, the fear is that the kids can become trapped between the bumper pads and the mattress. And definitely no when they start to pull to stand in the crib - they can use the bumper pad to climb out of the crib and then you have a real problem...

IceAlisa
08-25-2010, 02:55 AM
What is a bumper pad? Something like a pillow?

Here's one, the pink cushy border that lines the perimeter of the crib preventing baby from bumping his/her head or getting trapped. http://www.greenearthmarket.com/ProductImages/cottonmonkey/500_sweet_jane_bumpers.jpg

For super-paranoid moms like me there's the breathable bumper: http://www.inventiveparent.com/ImagesBreathable-Baby-Breathable-Bumpers-baby.jpg

to be used for very young infants since scares of suffocation with the regular bumper circulate. I used a regular bumper after Mini Ice was old enough.

babbyrabbit
08-25-2010, 03:04 AM
I agree with previous poster.. Do what the mom wants. Dont want to maker her mad. But IMO breathable bumpers are stupid and ugly. No bumper? well whatever if they get their leg stuck they will probably free it. I have heard people only use bumpers to help keep pacifiers in too which is stupid.

Pillows I can undestand maybe to a point but really i mean at the rate of some peoples paranoia we might as well just make them sleep on hard wooden blocks without sheets or blankets :)

numbers123
08-25-2010, 03:59 AM
the problem with what the mommy wants, is that the mommy is to be an ex-dil and daddy (son) doesn't have a real opinion about them. And the crib will be used by 2 grandchildren at different times.

But I believe that I will take the bumper pads out of the nursey. Thanks for all the input!