PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Barrett announce coaching change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

Jayar
08-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I can't say that this is Denney and Barrett's plan, but most pairs look at development in terms of four years. It is generally accepted that it takes about four years for a team to come together (some are much faster, some are slower), but in terms of development, most look for success in year four. So, maybe Denney and Barrett are looking for a big breakthrough in their fourth year, and didn't seem to feel any major growth since Worlds.

Locking them in a ballet room might help their posture, etc., but they need to develop these qualities on the ice. Having them depend on each other away from other friends (i.e. Amanda) might help them develop a new connection on ice. I'm for anything that helps this team develop... they have all of the tools to win medals. They just have to get the in-betweens now.

alwaysonedge
09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Danny O'Shea and Haven Denny are no longer skating together. O'Shea has returned to Ellenton and Jim Petersen and will skate with Caroline Knoop who has been seeking a partner since her partnership from last year ended.

And Haven is back with her partner of the past 2 years Daniel Raad.

Any one like to hazard a guess of what is driving all this and whether we will have some more intrigue out of Team Denney.

Sylvia
09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
So the Haven Denney/Daniel Raad references in the 2 local Florida articles I read online recently may not have been typos after all...

I can confirm that Daniel O'Shea has teamed up with Caroline Knoop in Ellenton. I believe he also will skate Junior Men out of South Atlantics.

Best wishes to all the Florida pair teams as they move forward into this new season! :)

Willowway
09-02-2010, 05:36 PM
I am happy to wait and see what John can do. I like him as a person and wish him well in the coaching area. He may have something special to offer.

Here is my only confusion - he has said that he may also balance this with going out on SOI with Kyoko? Is that even reasonable when you're coaching at an elite level and your co-coach (Sylvia) has never skated pairs?

inthemiddle
09-02-2010, 05:51 PM
From Icenetwork article:
"It wouldn't be as core cast members, but if there is some potential where we could do a couple of weekend shows -- I think their schedule is going to be different this season -- we might consider it. Certainly Caydee and Jeremy are my priority, but if we could get a few shows in, that would be fun."
I don't see anything to worry about, he talks about weekend shows.

Willowway
09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I see...

orbitz
09-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Forget the connection to each other, they need to work on their edges, footworks, inbetweens, etc. I hope John has someone like Judy Blumberg lined up to work with them on their MITF on a regular basis.

On a superificial note, I think the look of the pair on the ice will improve if Barret can slim down his waist and maybe stay away from one piece jump suite.

alwaysonedge
09-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Can someone speculate or does anyone know what level O'Shea/Knoop will compete at Novice or Junior) and out of what Section....implications for all sections at both levels

loopey
09-03-2010, 12:44 AM
On a superificial note, I think the look of the pair on the ice will improve if Barret can slim down his waist and maybe stay away from one piece jump suite.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think this emoticon means: I can't believe you said that!

dupagegal
09-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Can someone speculate or does anyone know what level O'Shea/Knoop will compete at Novice or Junior) and out of what Section....implications for all sections at both levels

Danny and Caroline will most likely skate out of Easterns both are junior pairs skaters.

Sylvia
09-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Danny and Caroline will most likely skate out of Easterns both are junior pairs skaters.
I am assuming at this time that Knoop/O'Shea are a Junior team -- see: U.S. Pair & Dance teams at Sectionals (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74733)

FSOWebmaster
10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Denney, Barrett hope new vision leads to GP Final
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/10/21/denney-barrett-hope-new-vision-leads-to-gp-final/

“John is someone that I always looked up to,” Barrett said. “I feel that he and Kyoko were the last great U.S. pair champs, and if Caydee and I want to be the next great U.S. champs, why not learn from them?”

loopey
10-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Denney, Barrett hope new vision leads to GP Final
http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2010/10/21/denney-barrett-hope-new-vision-leads-to-gp-final/
Kyoko and John were the "last great US pair champs". While I agree, ouch if you are I/B or M/B. :rofl:

newbatgirl
10-21-2010, 10:42 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I think this emoticon means: I can't believe you said that!

Not that I agree with the comment but is it really any worse than what many posters say about female skaters all the time? If I see one more post about Rachael Flatt's appearance...

azskatefan
10-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Kyoko and John were the "last great US pair champs". While I agree, ouch if you are I/B or M/B. :rofl:

I hardly think that either of those pairs would call themselves "great". (OK, John Baldwin would call himself great, without a doubt.) M/B could have eventually been great, I think, but the timing was off. I/B are good but nothing really ever stood out about them on the ice during a program (press conferences, tomfoolery, yes.) Honestly, I think C/O could have been the next great U.S. pair if they had not had such horrible injuries. Their programs were to die for when they skated well.

I/Z were the last U.S. pair that really received solid placements and were somewhat competitive with international teams on a regular basis. They were rather consistent. They could hold their own, maybe not medal, but hold their own in a clean competition. I/B, to me, are good, maybe even have better results, but there was nothing about them that made them all that special and from my recollection, they especially benefited from weak or sloppy fields. I/Z were exciting to me. I/B had to do the throw 3A and get engaged to make most people care.

Let's hope we get another great U.S. pair soon! We need it.