PDA

View Full Version : Denney, Barrett announce coaching change

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

genevieve
08-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I thought her hair last season was totally cute and a huge improvement. :shuffle:

I agree about the posture/pointing toes and hope that she is able to focus on this in the move to PJZ & wife.

kirkbiggestfan
08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
I always thought that Florida was going to become the new California for skating centers. Some big name coaches have moved there but that many.

Iceman
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Big mistake imo. What does Fontana know about pairs skating? She wasn't even that successful as a single skater.

taf2002
08-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Big mistake imo. What does Fontana know about pairs skating? She wasn't even that successful as a single skater.

That's right...look at Frank Carroll...he had all the golds in skating....oh wait.

figurefan
08-24-2010, 11:08 PM

Sometimes the best coaches were not necessarily highly successful in their sport. Football is a good example...some of your greatest coaches in the NFL were not the greatest players. Some people make better coaches and motivators than competitors.

I am disappointed with this move myself. It seems that any time an American pair shows potential they either change coaches, quit after a bad season or they are plagued by injuries.

olympic
08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
... I hope the split from their couches was amicable. ......

Well, it's always a good thing for a skater to split from their couch if they want to improve, regardless of how the couch feels. ;)

OrioleBeagle
08-24-2010, 11:32 PM
I think it's a good move. How many other coaches can call Tamara Moskvina or Artur Dmetriev when they need some good coaching advice? Perhaps John will get Kyoko Ina or Elena Berezhnaya to work with them a little bit too.

mgobluegirl
08-25-2010, 12:56 AM
IIRC, Delilah Sappenfield wasn't much of a skating prowess herself, but she's certainly proven herself in coaching.

I really hope this move works out for them. We really need them for the strength of American pairs.

belladella
08-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Jeremy is listed as a coach as his new facility. Good for him.

I'm sure the change will work out well for all parties.

reese
08-25-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm really interested to see how these next few years unfold for them. Can a team be successful with no romantic chemistry? I'm also worried about his jumps and consistency as he gets older.

orbitz
08-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Can a team be successful with no romantic chemistry?

Peter & Kitty Carruthers, Tai & Randy, Irina Rodnina and parter have zilch romantic chemistry.

I'm also worried about his jumps and consistency as he gets older.

He's still a young pup. No need to worry about him losing his jump consistency due to old age yet.

dinakt
08-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Peter & Kitty Carruthers, Tai & Randy, Irina Rodnina and parter have zilch romantic chemistry.

He's still a young pup. No need to worry about him losing his jump consistency due to old age yet.
:D Except Rodnina married her second partner, Zaitzev, and they had a son together- while competing and winning before and after the child's birth.
That said, I don't think romantic relationship is in any way necessary to be successful.

Iceman
08-25-2010, 05:25 AM
That's right...look at Frank Carroll...he had all the golds in skating....oh wait.

I was mainly pointing out that Sylvia was not a pairs skater. If she had been , then maybe she would be a good pairs coach. Frank Was a singles skater and I don't recall that he has coached any but singles skaters.

taf2002
08-25-2010, 05:41 AM
Frank had a totally unremarkable amateur career, even less sucessful than Silvia. And we don't know what she will be teaching.

Mayra
08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Frank had a totally unremarkable amateur career, even less sucessful than Silvia. And we don't know what she will be teaching.

Exactly. She is part of a coaching team in conjunction with PJZ. Say what you want about Fontana, but she had style, charisma and personality.

D/B are a nice team, but they are rough. Here's hoping she and PJZ can help smooth them out.