PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Murdoch
08-22-2010, 07:37 PM
So, we have a pretty substantial chill in the air and it has me thinking about fall and the return to work. Every Sunday, my fiance and I make a big pot of soup and take it for lunch each day.

I have been looking for recipes and thought I would pull on others favourites... especially since the BORSCH thread went so well!

KikiSashaFan
08-22-2010, 07:51 PM
I love potato leek and broccoli cheese soup, but I don't have one specific recipe for either. When I want something lighter I make ginger lime chicken noodle soup.

I don't really use fixed quantities, I just guess. In a big pot I mix veggie broth (you can use chicken, but I prefer veggie), macaroni, chopped carrots, lime zest, lime juice, minced ginger root, fresh ground pepper and some lightly cooked chopped chicken breast and just heat until everything is hot and the macaroni is cooked through.

Auntie
08-22-2010, 07:59 PM
First things first. I hate you because we are approaching 50 days of 90+ temperatures.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Easy, fast and fresh tasting

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
3 (14.5 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup chunky salsa
8 ounces corn tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add cumin. Add chicken broth, corn, chili powder, lime juice,salsa, cooked chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for twenty minutes.

Serve with crushed tortilla chips and cheese. Sprinkle some extra lime juice on top if desired.

Sometimes I will add a can of drained black beans but it makes the color of the soup a little muddy.

shan
08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Its too hot here for me to think about soup, but the Chicken Tortilla sounds delicious!

Holley Calmes
08-22-2010, 08:04 PM
How about spicing it up with a little Creole chicken gumbo? There's so many variations on this....but I got this from a New Orleans native:

Ingredients:

Four bone-in chicken breasts and 6 bone-in thighs
1 tblsp poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste

1 tsp fennel seeds
One large onion chopped fine
As much garlic as you can stand chopped fine
2 stalks of celery chopped fine
1 green bell pepper, 1/2 red bell pepper chopped fine
1 hot chili pepper-whatever you like from hot banana, serrano, jalapeno or habanero chopped fine. Whatever you can take!
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tblsp Tamari or soy sauce
1/4 cup cream sherry
2 cups of sliced okra
4-6 ripe tomatoes, depending on size. You want at least 4 cups of chopped tomatoes. Or just a 28-32 oz can
1 14.5 oz can of chicken broth

Half a stick of butter
1/4 cup of flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup hot chicken broth

1 tblsp Cajun spice
2 tblsp file (ground sassafras-don't know how to put the accent mark on!)
1 teaspoon black pepper
Cajun Sunshine hot sauce or hot sauce of your choice

Drizzle chicken with small amount of olive oil, coat with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to taste and bake until done in 400 oven. Cool. Can be done the day before. When cool, skin and pick meat off bones. Keep any liquid!

In a non-stick saucepan, melt butter and add flour and salt. Stir and cook over low heat until it turns nut brown, but be careful not to burn. The roux will need awhile to acquire a really good taste-an hour is great if you have time. Then slowly add the cup of hot chicken broth and cook it down to about half-it will get really thick.

In a large pot, heat olive oil and when hot, add fennel seeds. Stir until they start to crackle. Then add and saute all the cut up veggies EXCEPT okra. Add the Tamari and cream sherry when they turn clear, and continue to cook until they're nicely carmelized. Turn heat down. Add roux and stir until veggies are coated. Then add tomatoes and extra liquid from chicken cooking plus can of chicken broth. Cook on low and let thicken up. Then add tomatoes, okra and chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower and add all the spices.
You will have to make it a few times to figure out which spices you want more or less of. Cook as long as possible...for days even! It only gets better.

The file is a thickening agent, so if it's too thick, just add more chicken broth. It will also make the soup darker in color. File is a Native American addition to Cajun cooking....

This recipe can be made with only shrimp, or with a combination of chicken and shrimp, turkey, oysters, crab, alligator, etc. Alligator might be tough to get up there in Canada. Down here, I sometimes add corn kernels and butterbeans.....

It will leave you with a nice warm feeling!

Enjoy the cool weather up there. In Georgia, it's still disgustingly hot! We're still eating cold suppers and praying for rain.

Jot the Dot Dot
08-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Beef-steak and kidney pie. Gave a sample to a friend, and he says "Where'd you buy this?" "I didn't. Mom made it" "Oh, darn!" He wanted a place where you could buy it at a dime's notice. Friend Moira heard so much about it from me and my bros, that she makes a phone call to Mom asking for the recipe. Mom's recommendation: "Keep the kidneys in salted water for several hours". To which Dad replies "You could say it knocks the piss out of them", to which Mom responds "Oh Cecil!" Moira made it, gave a sample to one bro, and he says "Just what the doctor ordered".

Off-topic of course. But fun!

numbers123
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
First of all - if it is cooler where ever you are at, jealous. I melted going to the grocery store today.

I made an awesome cheesy potato/broccoli soup last year, but can not find the receipe. I'll keep looking.

I enjoy reading these receipes.

Murdoch
08-22-2010, 11:30 PM
I wish I could trade with all of you in the heat for at least a few days! We have only seen a few nice days in summer this year. It has been mostly rain - but until now it has been warm. We were close to freezing the other night. :S THAT does not make me happy!

Thanks for the suggestions so far! FH is allergic to poultry (yes - turkey and chicken are not in our cooking vocab), but we still look at recipes with them and try to figure out how to be creative! Keep them coming! :)

sk8er1964
08-22-2010, 11:33 PM
I just typed this recipe out for my 100 days weight loss challenge group. Might as well share it here. :lol:

4 c fresh cauliflower florets
1 (14 oz) can vegetable broth, divided
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs flour
1 c fat-free skim milk or light plain soymilk
1/2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Bring 2 c water to a boil in a 40 quart saucepan. Add cauliflower and cook until tender. Drain and set aside 1 c cauliflower.

Combine remaining cauliflower and 3/4 cup vegetable broth in food processor. Cover and process for about 1 minute.

Melt butter in large, heavy pan over medium heat. Add flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Cook and stir until mixture bubbles. Add skim milk and cook and stir until mixture thickens. Stir in cheese.

Add processed cauliflower, unprocessed cauliflower and remianing broth to cheese sauce. Cook over low heat until hot.

Serves 8. Serving size 3/4 c. Calories 78, Calories from fat 34, total fat 4g, saturated fat 2g cholesterol 12 mg, sodium 266 mg, total carbs 7g, deitary fiber 2g, sugars 2g, protein 3g

OK, that's the recipe. I don't usually have vegetable broth around, so I used chicken broth (the 98% fat free Swanson stuff) and I used fat free Lactaid milk. This time I used cheddar jack, since I didn't have sharp cheddar around. Also, one head of cauliflower is about 8 cups so I made a double recipe and am freezing half - we'll see how that goes. Finally, because I didn't want to dirty the food processor, so I just mashed the cauliflower instead of setting some aside and processing the rest. It's probably not as smooth as the recipe calls for, but it's still good. Next time I am going to add some minced garlic to it. With my modifications, I figure it's about 110 calories a cup. I think if low fat cheese was used it would cut down on the fat, but I don't know how well that stuff would melt in a recipe like this.

The cookbook, by the way, is called 365 Easy Vegetarian Recipes and it's available at B&N and Amazon.

ETA - the cookbook does have metric measurements if anyone needs them.

FigureSpins
08-22-2010, 11:56 PM
Pasta e Fagiolo
This is simple and fast, perfect for using up leftovers or a quick meal.
We have this on Fridays during Lent.

Water
Salt
Small macaroni - shells or ditalini are our favs.

Olive oil - whatever you like; I prefer Bertolli regular and I have a heavy hand with it.
1 large onion, julienned or diced
1 can of Progresso Chick Peas or Cannellini (I prefer the latter)
1/2 cup of tomato sauce or 1 small can of Hunts Tomato Sauce
Salt & Pepper to taste
Fresh herbs (Italian parsley, basil, oregano and/or thyme - whatever you like.)

In a pan, saute the onion in the olive oil until softened.
(You can also carmelize them, which I like but the kids don't.)

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water as indicated on the package. (Al Dente)
During the last five minutes of cooking, add the drained/rinsed beans.

Put a big measuring cup or bowl under the colander/strainer and drain most of the cooking water from the pasta & beans. Leave them a bit wet - it's a soup!

Save the collected broth in case the pasta absorbs the moisture and gets too dry.

Now, toss in the olive oil, sauteed onion, tomato sauce, fresh herbs of your choice, mix and serve. I let everyone add their own pepper at the table because some of us like more than others.

My kids hate beans (it's the texture), so I usually mash about a 1/4 cup and remove the skins, then use it to thicken the broth a bit. Yes, I'm hiding nutrients in the food that they don't know about. Shhhh!

Easy-peasy.

Variations:
I use a little more oil at times because it tastes good.
When I'm not going anywhere, I saute' 2 smashed garlic cloves first, remove them, then saute the onions.
(Yes, it's so no one figures out that I added garlic, lol. It's not in Grandma's recipe, but I like it!)
I prefer basil or parsley as fresh herbs - I always have a pot handy, year-round.

This is good leftover, but the pasta absorbs the liquid. Heat it in the microwave and add extra cooking water if needed to reconstitute it.

When I make this for a potluck, I keep the drained pasta separate from the other ingredients until I'm ready to heat it up. I just mix everything else together in one bowl or my crockpot and add the pasta when I get where I'm going.

cruisin
08-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Pasta e Fagiolo

You make it a lot like I do. Are you Italian and if so what part of Italy? Most of the time when I've had Pasta Fagioli in a restaurant it's not a tomato based broth. Mine is, that's how grandma made it.

I've posted this before, but I'll post it again Riboilita. It's a Tuscan Vegetable and bread soup. But I'll come back, I have to do a few things first.

Ajax
08-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Broccoli cheddar soup:
Dice 1 onion, 1 carrot and 1 celery and cook in a little oil with a clove of garlic until soft. Add 1 small head chopped broccoli and 2 small peeled and diced potatoes and enough water to just cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer until potatoes are soft. Take off the heat and blend using an immersion blender. Incorporate two handfuls of grated cheddar bit by bit while the blender is running.

The Accordion
08-23-2010, 06:11 AM
One of the tastiest soups I ever had was a tomato peanut soup but I don't know how to make it. If anyone knows how to make a tomato peanut soup - I would be in Heaven!

michiruwater
08-23-2010, 06:25 AM
I love African Peanut Soups in the winter.

I lurve a good soup. I eat soup constantly. In fact I eat so much soup I have no idea how to answer this thread.

I made a wonderful parsnip and mustard soup recently. I also had a corn and capsicum soup that was to-die-for. Not to mention Thai curry soups.

Most of the time I just make up soup. I love throwing a bunch of good soup vegetables - onion, celery, carrot, potatoes - into a pot with a bunch of good herbs - basil, oregano, a bay leaf - and a broth made of vegetable broth and good red wine. Sometimes I'll throw herb dumplings in.

Or a soup with a stock made of vegetable broth and cans of chopped tomatoes with capsicum and celery and normally some hot peppers, because I love spicy tomato soups. A lot of times I'll throw fish into this, or tripe and make menudo.

Soups make the world go round.

altai_rose
08-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Here's a NYTimes recipe for African Peanut soup that I like: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/17/dining/171mrex.html?_r=2 Just be sure to use quality peanut butter (rather than the Jif's reduced-fat peanut butter I used once...)

Here's my family's version of the Chinese Hot and Sour soup:
Boil chicken broth. Slice a box of silken tofu and add to broth. Cut 2 tomatoes and add to broth. Add a can of sliced bamboo shoots. Add enoki mushrooms. Add rice vinegar to taste. Add Chinese chili powder (my mom makes this directly from dried red chili peppers) to taste. Add 2 beaten eggs while stirring. In a small bowl, mix corn starch with water. Add to soup while stirring.