PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

genevieve
09-23-2010, 01:41 AM
This just arrived in my inbox (from the Saveur weekly newsletter):

http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Simple-Vegetable-Soups?cmpid=enews092310

That pumpkin soup in a pumpkin is adorable.

But the pumpkin and sage soup is the one I really want to make now. :swoon:

Jenny
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Jamie Oliver loves sage in soup - it's in his English onion soup, and his squash soup, both from Jamie at Home. He takes fresh leaves and sort of fries them in olive oil to flavour the oil that will soften the veggies, and then you save them to garnish the soup when you serve.

We have a sage plant that is so hardy that I can often pick off a few leaves even through snow - fresh leaves are so different than powdered!

Rex
09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
That pumpkin soup in a pumpkin is adorable.

I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner many years ago, and the hostess served pumpkin soup this way. I love pumpkin soup and plan on making some this fall. I'm gonna make it from scratch if I have to - who knows how to clean out pumpkins?

Bev Johnston
09-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I was invited to a Thanksgiving dinner many years ago, and the hostess served pumpkin soup this way. I love pumpkin soup and plan on making some this fall. I'm gonna make it from scratch if I have to - who knows how to clean out pumpkins?

Rex, it's easy.

Slice the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds and strings - I use a large spoon for this. Put the pumpkin halves on a baking sheet and bake at a low temp... I'm thinking no higher than 300 degrees, but I have to check. After it's done baking, you just scoop the pumpkin right out. (I got this method from Joy of Cooking and it works every time.)

ETA: I see the recipe calls for baking the stock IN the pumpkin and then scraping the flesh down. Neato. I will definitely try this recipe.

*Jen*
09-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Rex, it's easy.

Slice the pumpkin in half. Scoop out the seeds and strings - I scoop use a large spoon for this. Put the pumpkin halves on a baking sheet and bake at a low temp... I'm thinking no higher than 300 degrees, but I have to check. After it's done baking, you just scoop the pumpkin right out. (I got this method from Joy of Cooking and it works every time.)

ETA: I see the recipe calls for baking the stock IN the pumpkin and then scraping the flesh down. Neato. I will definitely try this recipe.

I always make pumpkin soup from scratch. And I never, NEVER bake the pumpkin. It's not necessary, it just takes more time.

Cut your pumpkin in half, scoop our the seeds and cut the skin off using a sharp knife. Cut your pumpkin into pieces small enough to put them into a large pot, and boil with the stock. When it's soft, you can blend it.

It might be easier to bake it, but I think it's faster not doing it.

Bev Johnston
09-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I always make pumpkin soup from scratch. And I never, NEVER bake the pumpkin. It's not necessary, it just takes more time.

Cut your pumpkin in half, scoop our the seeds and cut the skin off using a sharp knife. Cut your pumpkin into pieces small enough to put them into a large pot, and boil with the stock. When it's soft, you can blend it.

It might be easier to bake it, but I think it's faster not doing it.

I think the bake method is for us lazy bones who don't want to try to peel the pumpkin. (Sounds dirty, ha.) I've also heard of boiling the pumpkin to get the skin off, but I think that sounds even more messy.