PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Rex
09-05-2010, 01:38 AM
I just had some heavenly creamy chicken, wild rice and mushroom soup I got from the grocery. I got a big container and I had half for lunch and half now....I must find a way to duplicate it :inavoid:.

Holley Calmes
09-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Mmmmmm Rex-when you figure it out, share it with us. That's one of my faves.

Rex
09-05-2010, 02:54 AM

Holley, it has to be at least one of these.... (http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/creamy-chicken-wild-rice-soup). This is one of my fave food websites.

Murdoch
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I used V8 as a soup base last week and it was awesome!!

Rex
09-12-2010, 12:11 AM

Holley, it has to be at least one of these.... (http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/creamy-chicken-wild-rice-soup). This is one of my fave food websites.

I did end up duplicating it almost....I used heavy cream instead of half-and-half and mistakenly added corn. But it still tasted great - the wild rice adds a nuttiness to it. Next time though, I'll cook the rice separately and then add it to the soup when it's almost done, so it can be firmer.

pair mom
09-12-2010, 12:55 AM
:)I also tried this recipe yesterday. I cooked the wild rice first according to Joy of Cooking instructions (4 cups water, 1 tsp salt for 40 minutes). Didn't have any half and half so made my own with 1/3 cup whipping cream and rest skim milk. Also omitted the almonds. We found the resulting soup more like a stew...much too thick for my taste. So just added another box of chicken broth and warmed it up. Fabulous result. Definitely a do over for our family this winter!!! Thanks for putting me on to this! :)

Rex
09-12-2010, 01:24 AM
:)I also tried this recipe yesterday. I cooked the wild rice first according to Joy of Cooking instructions (4 cups water, 1 tsp salt for 40 minutes). Didn't have any half and half so made my own with 1/3 cup whipping cream and rest skim milk. Also omitted the almonds. We found the resulting soup more like a stew...much too thick for my taste. So just added another box of chicken broth and warmed it up. Fabulous result. Definitely a do over for our family this winter!!! Thanks for putting me on to this! :)

Glad you liked it.....
But which one had almonds in it?

Jenny
09-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I used V8 as a soup base last week and it was awesome!!

I use V8 to make Mexican rice - excellent flavour and colour.

Cupid
09-12-2010, 03:11 PM
This looks so wonderful I am going to try it as soon as I get my ingredients purchased.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/cauliflower-soup/

I'm also going to attempt a soup my mom makes that has that baseball bat squash and greens in it (mom's cousin grows it in his massive garden every summer, cuts it up and freezes it in convenient little bags).

I think it's just chopped tomatoes garlic olive oil fresh parsley salt & pepper the squash and greens and then added cooked thin spaghetti and some of the pasta water. It's so healthful and nourishing. I sprinkle grated parmesan on top.

shan
09-12-2010, 03:24 PM

That sounds yummy. I know its not soup but is there a recipe? :)

Jenny
09-12-2010, 03:35 PM
That sounds yummy. I know its not soup but is there a recipe? :)

I wing it a bit - I have an old rice pilaf recipe from Canadian Living that is the basis - use rice/liquid quantities according to package directions.

Soften onions, bell peppers and hot peppers in butter or oil (or whatever veggies you like - we grow cayenne peppers, so I have them fresh or dried year round - frozen corn could also work nicely).
Stir in uncooked rice for a minute to coat with flavours, then add V8, topped up with chicken stock or water if there's not enough (for the two of us, we use a small can of juice and top it up a little).
Bring to a boil, then cover (don't peak!) and simmer for about 30 minutes (or as rice package suggests).
Fluff up, stir in fresh green onions (or chives), or sprinkle them on top. S&P to taste. You can also sprinkle a little cheddar on top at the table.

I've done this with regular rice, basmati and brown rice - works every time, totally yummy.

shan
09-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks!

dbell1
09-12-2010, 06:27 PM

I use V8 low sodium in my veggie soup (upthread). Gives you the extra boost of veggies and it's a great way to stretch out a recipe. Oh, and my veggie hating son loves it! :lol:

I discovered College Inn Rotisserie Chicken broth a few weeks ago and am in love with it. Used it as a base for my chicken orzo soup this past week and the flavor boost was :swoon: - best soup ever! :)

Holley Calmes
09-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Thank you Rex! Hugs!

Jenny
09-22-2010, 07:05 PM
This just arrived in my inbox (from the Saveur weekly newsletter):

http://www.saveur.com/gallery/Simple-Vegetable-Soups?cmpid=enews092310