PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

succubus
08-29-2010, 03:37 AM
Here's my favorite comfort soup - from Grandma - eliminate the pancetta for a lighter tasting vegetarian version:

Saute 6 oz of cubed pancetta in 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat until fat begins to render.
Add 2 cloves finely chopped fresh garlic - saute for 1 minute.
Toss in chopped cleaned escarole - I usually use 3 of the 9 oz pre-washed/pre-chopped packages because I'm a horrible washer of greens and they always come out gritty.
Add 1 19 oz can cannellini beans - toss all to start wilting the greens.
Add salt, pepper, a pinch of hot pepper flakes, and enough water to barely cover the greens.
Bring to boil and let simmer on low for at least 2 hours.
Serve with grated romano cheese (or any sharp Italian cheese) on top and a crusty piece of bread to sop up the juices.

My grandmother used to use pepperoni pieces instead of pancetta - she was a child of the Depression and used to keep the ends of pepperoni in her refrigerator until they were hard, then used them in various cooking dishes. Nothing got wasted in that house! I prefer the taste of the pancetta, but trust me when I tell you that it tastes pretty great without it.

cruisin
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Here's my favorite comfort soup - from Grandma - eliminate the pancetta for a lighter tasting vegetarian version:

Saute 6 oz of cubed pancetta in 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat until fat begins to render.
Add 2 cloves finely chopped fresh garlic - saute for 1 minute.
Toss in chopped cleaned escarole - I usually use 3 of the 9 oz pre-washed/pre-chopped packages because I'm a horrible washer of greens and they always come out gritty.
Add 1 19 oz can cannellini beans - toss all to start wilting the greens.
Add salt, pepper, a pinch of hot pepper flakes, and enough water to barely cover the greens.
Bring to boil and let simmer on low for at least 2 hours.
Serve with grated romano cheese (or any sharp Italian cheese) on top and a crusty piece of bread to sop up the juices.

My grandmother used to use pepperoni pieces instead of pancetta - she was a child of the Depression and used to keep the ends of pepperoni in her refrigerator until they were hard, then used them in various cooking dishes. Nothing got wasted in that house! I prefer the taste of the pancetta, but trust me when I tell you that it tastes pretty great without it.

My grandma used to make escarole and beens too. She used chicken broth in it. And sometimes she'd put pieces of chicken in it. I'm missing grandma right now :(.

PAskate
08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Your lentil soup sounds yummy IceAlisa. I'm definitely going to have to try it.

My current favorite is a zucchini soup. I found a recipe in a cookbook. I didn't like all of the ingredients, so I switched things around to make a healthier version of it. The amounts are approximate, as I just throw everything into the crockpot.

1 can canneloni beans (the original called for a pound of ground beef)
1 lb chicken sausage (the original called for Italian sausage)
1/2 c finely chopped celery
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/2 finely chopped green pepper (I made my last batch without the green pepper and liked it better.)
2 large cans roma tomatos (or fresh from the garden if you have it)
4-5 zucchini in chunks
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Minced garlic to taste
Italian seasonings to taste

I brown the sausage beforehand and then drain off any excess fat and throw it into the crockpot with everything else.

briancoogaert
08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
cold soup with zucchinis. Yummy !

dbny
08-29-2010, 11:37 PM
I devised this soup when I was on the Weight Watchers point system.

Zero Point VegetableSoup

6 to 8 quarts water
Put water on to boil and add vegetables in order listed:

to head of cabbage, very thinly sliced
3 large packages mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
4 large onions, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 entire head of garlic, chopped or sliced
1 or 2 yellow squash, sliced
1 or 2 zuccini, sliced
broccoli or cauliflower (or both) in small chunks (as much as will fit)
fresh tomatoes, chopped (optional)
to 1 can tomato paste (to taste)

Flavor to your taste with:
ground black pepper or pepper mix
1 or 2 cubes chicken or beef boullion

Boil over low flame until vegetables are tender.
Add hot sauce or more pepper if you like it spicy.
I sprinkle on generous amounts of Japanese sichimi togarashi (hot pepper mix.)

skatemommy
08-30-2010, 12:09 AM
I got this from a fellow FSUer. A wink and a nod to cabbage rolls when you don't feel like doing all the work. I'm paraphasing because I don't have it right in front of me:

pork sausage - I like sweet breakfast but you could mix veal, lean ground beef whatever you like in meatballs or cabbage rolls.

Add Minute Rice and mix together to form meatballs with whatever spices you like. No need for bread crumbs with the minute rice (my spin)

Cut up a small cabbage. Put meatballs first in crockpot. Add cabbage and weigh it down with either baby carrots or better peeled large carrots because it tends to float to the top (again my spin, didn't know cabbage wanted to float:) ).

Add 1 large can of V8. Simmer all day on low. OMG - tastes just like cabbage rolls w/o all the prep and work. I think Laurenjm posted this; haven't seen her here in awhile - hope all is well...

IceAlisa
08-30-2010, 12:20 AM
CORRECTION, REDUCE AMOUNT OF WATER BY HALF IN THE LENTIL SOUP IF USING VEGGIE STOCK. Sorry, can no longer edit. Could the admin please edit my post to include "use half the amount if using veggie stock" next to the * cups of water, please? I am afraid FSUers would end up with a watery soup. :yikes:

This is a great thread, thanks all for the yummy contributions!

skatemommy
08-30-2010, 12:53 AM
My grandma used to make escarole and beens too. She used chicken broth in it. And sometimes she'd put pieces of chicken in it. I'm missing grandma right now :(.

Aw, bless you Cruisin; I've been teary today too.

cruisin
08-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Aw, bless you Cruisin; I've been teary today too.

(((skatemommy))) I hope everything is alright.

Ania
08-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Tonight I made split pea soup with ham using this recipe as a base:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/split-pea-and-ham-soup-i/Detail.aspx

It was the easiest soup I've ever made in my life and it was really good too!
I added carrots to the ingredients and also bay leaf & sun dried tomato packed in oil (per directions on the package of split peas).

Satellitegirl
08-30-2010, 05:12 PM
This thread is making me hungry.....so many recipes to try in the crockpot this winter :)

pat c
08-30-2010, 08:13 PM
It's the time of year when you run when someone mentions zuccini's, but just in case you have one, this is a good soup, very versatile and freezes well:

2 c. chopped zuccini
2 c. chopped carrots
2 c. milk or water or cream.....

simmer them on the stove until veggies are tender, let cool, then put in blender and puree. Return to heat and simmer.

You can add onions, chives, whatever you like to it. I put dill on top, my sil puts nutmeg so......

genevieve
08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
My current favorite is a zucchini soup. I found a recipe in a cookbook. I didn't like all of the ingredients, so I switched things around to make a healthier version of it. The amounts are approximate, as I just throw everything into the crockpot.

1 can canneloni beans (the original called for a pound of ground beef)
1 lb chicken sausage (the original called for Italian sausage)
1/2 c finely chopped celery
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1/2 finely chopped green pepper (I made my last batch without the green pepper and liked it better.)
2 large cans roma tomatos (or fresh from the garden if you have it)
4-5 zucchini in chunks
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Minced garlic to taste
Italian seasonings to taste

I brown the sausage beforehand and then drain off any excess fat and throw it into the crockpot with everything else.
That sounds really awesome - but doesn't the zucchini turn to mush if it's in a crock pot?

cruisin
08-30-2010, 08:58 PM
That sounds really awesome - but doesn't the zucchini turn to mush if it's in a crock pot?

You could always put half in at first for the flavor and then add the rest in later.

PAskate
08-31-2010, 01:26 AM

Nope - I chunk it - think slices about a half inch thick. Like you would do if you were roasting veggies.