PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Grannyfan
08-24-2010, 05:31 PM
This is an easy broccoli-cheese soup. Plain old stuff, including the oft-maligned Velveeta, but it's very good.

Saute some chopped onion and celery. Add three cans chicken broth and heat. Add three cans cream of potato soup; stir and heat through. Add 1 lb. cubed Velveeta and stir until melted. Then add one 16 oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli. Make sure you use chopped broccoli and not broccoli cuts.

I have other recipes using real cream, etc., and they're good, but this one's just so easy, and it makes a big pot full.

bobalina77
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM
I've like to trade for some warmth as well. We are leaving Thursday for a one week camping trip on the west coast of Vancouver Island. We'll probably need to turn on the heater in our RV and be cooking curry or soup to warm up in the evening.

Yes you will! All summer everyone I've talked to who has come back from there has said it's absolutely freezing and grey! I'm so glad I live on the other side lol!

rjblue
08-25-2010, 01:25 AM
For that extra homey touch, serve with saltines.
I put butter on the saltines... :)

BittyBug
08-25-2010, 02:38 AM
She eats everything on the hog from the rooter to the tooter ...... :rofl:

Lips that hate swine, shall never touch mine :shuffle:.I could be a vegetarian were it not for bacon. :saint:

cruisin
08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
I love, love bacon, but I don't eat it. I have to watch my cholesterol.

Rex
08-26-2010, 06:55 PM
:rofl:

I could be a vegetarian were it not for bacon. :saint:

Can't live without it.

jlai
08-27-2010, 04:19 AM
I confess I misread the title as "Your favorite sour grapes". :o

genevieve
08-27-2010, 05:42 AM
I confess I misread the title as "Your favorite sour grapes". :o
No, that would be the latest Yu Na/Orser thread

ETA: I made this carrot soup tonight by combining 2 recipes I found on the internet. I really like think hearty soups - if you prefer your soups more brothy, leave out the potato and/or use fewer carrots

canola oil
1 tsp curry powder
2 small or 1 large leek(s) - white parts only, blah blah
2 cloves garlic
1 bunch medium carrots (7-ish) - cut into 1/4 inch circles
1 potato, peeled & cubed
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 bay leaf
2-1/2 cups broth

heat canola oil over medium heat, add curry, garlic and leeks - 30 seconds

add onion, carrots, potato, bay leaf, broth
increase to medium high heat, bring to a boil
reduce to med. low heat, simmer for 20 minutes

discard bay leaf, puree in batches in a blender or with immersion blender

recipe called for transferring to a new pot and adding some coconut milk, which I'm sure is delicious, but I thought the soup was so great it didn't need anything else. I finished with fresh ground black pepper, and crumbled some goat cheese on top instead.

The Accordion
08-27-2010, 05:47 AM
No, that would be the latest Yu Na/Orser thread

ba doom boom.

(drum for when something is funny!)

IceAlisa
08-27-2010, 06:11 AM
I've posted this recipe on the general cooking thread but this is currently my favorite lentil soup. The nice part are the precooked lentils from Trader Joe's. Here are some variations as well:

Ingredients

1 carton Trader Joe's vegetable stock
2 shallots, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 small turnips, diced
2 stalks fennel, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups pre-cooked lentils from TJ
8 cups water
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/2 teasp cumin
1 tsp TJ Everyday seasoning
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions

In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until golden. Add turnip and fennel; cook and stir until tender. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin, everyday seasoning and basil; cook for 2 minutes.
Pour vegetable stock in the soup pot, add bay leaf stir in lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.

Last time I swapped the turnips out for mushrooms and also added chopped butternut squash. It was lovely. I cook the butternut squash chunks in the vegetable stock first and then add the rest.

Murdoch
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
WOW!! Thanks everyone! This is a hot thread!!!

michiruwater
08-28-2010, 04:35 AM
Cabbage Soup

1 medium onion
Garlic
6 cups beef broth
1 pound smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1 can red kidney beans
2 medium potatoes, chopped
1 cabbage, cut into small pieces
1/4 C tomato paste
3 TBS vinegar

Cook onions and garlic in bottom of large soup pan in butter until softened. Add beef broth, sausage, beans, and potatoes; simmer 15 minutes. Add cabbage, tomato paste, and vinegar. Simmer another 15 minutes. Serve :)

Easy and absolutely delicious.

Spareoom
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm a big fan of no-recipe soups; the ones where you throw in a bit of this and a bit of that and make something delicious out of it.

http://www.spareoom.net/gymfan15/blog/?p=71
^^ That's my recipe/guidelines for Ratatouille soup, or technically Minestrone, because that's what it basically is. I like to call it Ratatouille because it was inspired by that AMAZING home-made Ratatouille in the film of the same name. Who knew that animated food could make you drool...;)

For those of you who like home made chicken soup, but don't make it often because it's so time consuming or doesn't end up tasting that great, I humbly suggest that I have perfected the art of SUPER easy, super delicious chicken soup that I can do from start to finish in less than an hour and a half. It's really easy! I don't have a recipe, but here's some tips:

- Use frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts; super easy and tastes pretty good. You can still get really good broth without bones or fat.
- Always add an onion and minced garlic; super yummy!
- Spice it up. My early chicken soups were fails because I never added any spices. These days, I add a variety of chili powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, Lawry's salt, dried ground basil and onion and garlic powder.
- Put your carrots in your food processor if you have one to either slice them really thin or shred them. The thing that takes the longest about chicken soup is waiting for the carrots to cook, which slicing them thin really cuts back on, and shredding practically eliminates. Plus if you don't like eating huge chunks of carrots at a time, making them thin/shredded distributes them more evenly. And here's a secret: freshly shredded carrots add an AMAZING color to your broth; making it go from bland to BAZAM!

Anyway, all the cheats listed above really to make a delicious soup. You do have to cheat the broth with stock, but it's worth it if the end result is yummy.

Dr.Siouxs
08-29-2010, 01:52 AM
try Nigella's "Happiness soup". It's a nice recipe though I add red chilis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLT2LKYmYWM

piano18
08-29-2010, 03:18 AM
I'm a big fan of no-recipe soups; the ones where you throw in a bit of this and a bit of that and make something delicious out of it.

Oh YES. Almost all the soups I have are that of no recipes. And most of the time it turns out good. Who knew one could make a nice soup with fuzzy squash, mung bean vermicelli, and a splash of egg yolk? It's really nice, and mung bean noodles should NEVER be chopped when cooking or eating!