PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite SOUP Recipes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

*Jen*
08-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Mmm, soup. I like carrot ginger and corriander,tomato, potato and leek, pumpkin...and I tend to rotate these throughout winter :shuffle:

I always use simple recipes you can find online just by googling :)

*Jen*
08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Mmm, soup. I like carrot ginger and corriander,tomato, potato and leek, pumpkin...and I tend to rotate these throughout winter :shuffle:

I always use simple recipes you can find online just by googling :)

Jenny
08-23-2010, 03:07 PM
This is Jamie Oliver's English spin on the classic French Onion Soup, and it's fantastic. In the fall and winter, we make this once or twice a month - especially good with the fresh sage from our garden, which lasts well into the cold. Be patient with the onions as he instructs, and use really good cheddar - it really works.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/english-onion-soup-with-sage-and-cheddar

Moto Guzzi
08-23-2010, 03:20 PM
One of my friends served this and everybody begged for the recipe. The following, including the changes, are from her email:

Spanish Garbanzo Stew
Serves: 6 to 8

This classic recipe is easy and quick to prepare using good quality canned chickpeas (as we more commonly refer to garbanzos. Serve with fresh bread and a simple homemade coleslaw.

• 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 large green bell pepper, cut into short, slender strips
• Two 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• One 28-ounce can salt-free diced tomatoes, undrained
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
• 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• Hot cooked rice, optional

Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic and green pepper and continue to sauté until all are golden.

Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, thyme, and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.

Stir in the parsley and season sparingly with salt and generously with pepper. Adjust the consistency if more water is needed, but let the stew remain thick.

Serve the stew in bowls on its own or over a small amount of hot cooked rice, if desired.

Changes I made:

I added a little more of all of the spices, and I added some dried parsley, Turmeric and some Cayenne for kick. I also added another can of Garbanzos and I used diced tomatoes with Green Chiles. Finally, instead of parsley, I added fresh Cilantro at the end. The leftovers are really good in tortillas with some sour cream or yogurt and it makes a good soup by adding a little more water.

Rex
08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
My weakness is cream-based soups. New England Clam Chowder, Cream-of-Anything.....

Jenny
08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Speaking of cream soups, I know I've posted this before but it really is worth it so here it is again: this is a creamy tomato soup - without cream or milk. It's a breeze to make, and ends up a lot like Campbell's, only much tastier. When I originally saw it on the show, she served a simply crostini with herbed goat cheese with it, yum. We've made this again and again, to rave reviews.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/tomato-soup

skatemommy
08-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I've posted this before too but my favorite website for recipes is allrecipes.com. You can search by ingredients you want or don't want and they are grouped by category. Reviews are posted which is helpful.

FigureSpins
08-23-2010, 03:55 PM
You make it a lot like I do. Are you Italian and if so what part of Italy? Most of the time when I've had Pasta Fagioli in a restaurant it's not a tomato based broth. Mine is, that's how grandma made it.Nope, not an italian bone in my body - my family's German and Austrian from way back. It's my MIL's recipe and her family came from Bari in Italy. Her mother made it this way with the tomato sauce. I never order Pasta e Fagiolio in restaurants for the same reason.

I also make a mean Minestrone that is requested every time we have a competition or big event for the Club. Apparently, the judges like my recipe and it's easy to make it vegetarian - just change the stock.

In a little olive oil, saute:

2 cloves garlic
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced carrots (1/2" is good)

Cook until the onion is translucent.
(Most people don't saute for soup, but I do, so there.)

Add 2 Qt. Stock
At home, I use leftover chicken stock, but for the Club I use organic vegetarian stock.

Add 1/2"-diced peeled potatoes (optional, but I like them)

Add tomatoes:
A 18 oz. can, chopped, is easiest.
If you have fresh, use 3-4 but remove the skins and chop before adding.

Add herbs:
minced fresh parsley leaves or 1 tsp dried
minced fresh oregano leaves or 1 tsp dried
3 whole basil leaves or 1 tsp dried

Wine:
Optional - add a jigger of red wine.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add the beans:
1 18 oz can of red kidney beans
1 18 oz can of white beans (cannellini)

Simmer for 1 hour. Serve with cooked Ditalini.

FigureSpins
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I also like the knockoff of Wendy's Chili from topsecretrecipes.com. It's the only chili my kids like, even if they pick out the beans when I'm not watching. I've also made the Chili's Fajitas recipe from that site for a party and it was perfectly seasoned.

Bev Johnston
08-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Ah, soup! A subject that's near and dear to my heart...

A great weight loss plan is to substitute one of your meals with soup, keep your other meals reasonable, and cut out junk/snacks. I like soup because you can get tons of vitamins and nutrients at one shot and even hide some stuff you might not like too much.

Here's one of my favorites, Giada's Creamy Red Pepper Soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/creamy-red-pepper-soup-recipe/index.html

I substitue 1/2 cup of rice for the potato. I think the potato gives it a funky aftertaste. I also omit the mascarpone to make it low-fat/low-calorie.

I will try the tomato soup mentioned above. I've tried several recipes and haven't been happy with any of them.

martian_girl
08-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Does anyone know a good tomato soup recipe with fresh tomatoes? I've got an abundance of them this year.

Bev Johnston
08-23-2010, 05:56 PM
I will try the tomato soup mentioned above. I've tried several recipes and haven't been happy with any of them.

No sooner did I write this, than I tried the soup I made this weekend and it was actually pretty good!

3 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1 onion, chopped
3 cans chicken broth
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 carrot, chopped (a hidden ingredient, ha ha sneaky. You could probably add another and no one would be the wiser.)
1/2 cup wine
1 tbsp sugar
2 pkgs fresh basil, chopped

Cook garlic and onion in olive oil until onion is soft
Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, carrot, wine, and sugar
Boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes
Add basil and simmer an additional 15 minutes
Blend soup in batches in blender or with an immersion blender (safer and neater, but I don't have one)

I had to add some water because the soup was a little thick for my liking. I don't know how much I added, but it was enough to get the consistency right without diluting the taste.

People who can't have alcohol could probably omit the wine and not impact the tast too much.

martian_Girl, I think you can substitute the canned tomatoes for fresh in any of the recipes. My problem with using fresh was that the soup didn't taste "tomato-y" enough for me. I'm not sure how to correctly substitute, but I guess you could always boost the tomato taste with tomato sauce or juice.

emason
08-23-2010, 06:21 PM
My weakness is cream-based soups. New England Clam Chowder, Cream-of-Anything.....

Here's a Corn Chowder I'm fond of; it's easy to make and easy to change up (ie, bacon instead of salt pork, frozen corn instead of fresh, etc.) The recipe comes from the The Wilson Farm Country Cookbook. Serves 8.

1/3 cup 1/4-inch cubes salt pork
1/2 cup peeled, chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 and 1/2 cups hot water
3 cups corn kernels, cut from
fresh ears - use mature, heavier corn
for more flavor
1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup light cream

Cook salt pork in 4-qt pot until crisp. Add onion and pepper and cook with salt pork until soft. Remove salt pork and vegetables from pan with slotted spoon and drain fat from pan. Return salt pork and vegetables to pan and add hot water, potatoes, corn, salt and pepper. Bring this mixture to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the milk, cream and additional seasoning. Heat the chowder, but DO NOT BOIL. When the chowder is very hot, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes to improve the flavor. Reheat and serve.

dbell1
08-23-2010, 06:50 PM
The only soup my son requests. I just made it last week :)

Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup (stolen from a Top Secret Recipes thread) :P

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef (I'm a big fan of ground sirloin in this - less fat to drain off and it tastes better)
1 small onion diced (1 cup) (I use a sweet onion)
1 large carrot, chopped (1 cup)
3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic
2 14.5 ounce cans died tomatoes
1 15 ounce can red kidney beans (with liquid)
1 15 ounce can great northern beans (with liquid)
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 12 ounce can V8 juice
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 pound ditali pasta

Brown the ground beef in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat, drain off most of the fat. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except pasta, and simmer for 1 hour. I start this on medium and then lower it. Otherwise the beans split (and the family mocks me). :lol:

About 50 minutes into simmer time, cook pasta, drain.
Add the pasta to the large pot of soup and simmer for at least 10 minutes and serve.

I like to put some grated cheese on top and serve with a crusty Italian loaf. :swoon:

My changes to it:
I always use a lot more V8 (low sodium). It stretches the recipe out. This is very thick, almost like a chili/stew consistency.

We prefer chopped over diced for the veggies and it makes it look better (in my mind at least).

Very easy to make a vegetarian version. It's also an amazing way to get your fiber and veggies. I've used white kidney beans in the past.

This feeds the family for a few meals and I take the remainder to work for the week since it's so easy to reheat. Doesn't freeze well though.

Rex
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Here's a Corn Chowder I'm fond of; it's easy to make and easy to change up (ie, bacon instead of salt pork, frozen corn instead of fresh, etc.) The recipe comes from the The Wilson Farm Country Cookbook. Serves 8.

1/3 cup 1/4-inch cubes salt pork
1/2 cup peeled, chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 and 1/2 cups hot water
3 cups corn kernels, cut from
fresh ears - use mature, heavier corn
for more flavor
1/2 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper
2 cups milk
1 cup light cream

Cook salt pork in 4-qt pot until crisp. Add onion and pepper and cook with salt pork until soft. Remove salt pork and vegetables from pan with slotted spoon and drain fat from pan. Return salt pork and vegetables to pan and add hot water, potatoes, corn, salt and pepper. Bring this mixture to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add the milk, cream and additional seasoning. Heat the chowder, but DO NOT BOIL. When the chowder is very hot, remove it from the heat and let it sit for 30 minutes to improve the flavor. Reheat and serve.

I'm a slut for anything that uses bacon or salt pork as a flavoring :inavoid:. Thanks - I will try this. Summer is ending, and it's time to get over that stove and crock pot.