PDA

View Full Version : DIY Home Project Question

Pages : 1 [2]

cruisin
08-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I
Why wallpaper? The problem is the doorway. If you apply anything thicker than wallpaper, you will have to redo the doorway and that's a challenge for most folks who don't normally work with drywall. Taping all the joints and getting them perfect with joint compound is not that easy.

Good point, though she could make it easier by applying molding. Then, though she'd have to put molding on all of the doors in the room. Got a mitre box Prancer? :lol:

Prancer, sanded paint is not hard to do. It is time consuming and has to be done with a brush, but it's not hard. You can buy, or maybe get for free, scraps of sheet rock at Home Depot. Experiment on the remnants before you do the wall. I think what will be harder for you is matching the paint color to what is already there. I don't know if the color range for suede paint is extensive. Also don't know if you can mix whatever color you want. They do have machines that can read the exact color from a paint sample or wallpaper sample, but how would you get your wall there? Have you considered just repainting the whole room? I, personally, am not a big fan of accent walls. I think they chop the room up, especially if it's a small room.

Prancer
08-22-2010, 06:28 PM
I like the way the walls look now. That gluing pattern looks pretty darn cool to me. Modern art for free, whee! :smokin:

That was the kids' solution as well :lol:.

It looks pretty gross up close, though.

If you apply anything thicker than wallpaper, you will have to redo the doorway and that's a challenge for most folks who don't normally work with drywall. Taping all the joints and getting them perfect with joint compound is not that easy.

We've done it before, and we have someone who can do that for us if we don't think we're up to it, but.....

Good point, though she could make it easier by applying molding. Then, though she'd have to put molding on all of the doors in the room. Got a mitre box Prancer? :lol:

There was already molding there; we pulled it off to get the paneling off, but it's still intact and ready to be put back.

However, we can see all kinds of other problems in terms of fitting if we put drywall up over the wall. I'm not sure if they will preclude doing that, but we're going to have to think about how to do a few things if we go that way. You can't see the full-length window over on the right or the way the molding along the bottom fits to the slate floor, for example.

Meh.

Prancer, sanded paint is not hard to do. It is time consuming and has to be done with a brush, but it's not hard.

I don't think the original was done with a brush because the swirl pattern is pretty wide. Maybe. I don't know. If it were just sanded paint, fine; it's the patterning in the paint that I'm afraid of.

It is most annoying that the paneling was put up, because the wall is painted and finished underneath the glue. That's why we were hoping to get the glue off.

They do have machines that can read the exact color from a paint sample or wallpaper sample, but how would you get your wall there? Have you considered just repainting the whole room? I, personally, am not a big fan of accent walls. I think they chop the room up, especially if it's a small room.

All of this got started in the first place because I just painted the upstairs hall and everything else in the foyer, and I still have plenty of paint left, so matching the paint wouldn't be a problem. It looks REALLY yellow over there on the left, but it actually isn't; the wall on the right is the same color and it looks white/beige, which isn't right, either :lol:.

My husband thinks the paneling was put up in the first place as an accent because the foyer is long and narrow and he thinks it will be rather cave-like to have it all in one color. I'm not fond of accent walls, either, though.

We're got Friend who use to work in construction coming over to look at it to see what can be done about the drywall problems, and I am trying to get Sorta Friend who was a house painter for many years to advise on the paint problems.

cruisin
08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't think the original was done with a brush because the swirl pattern is pretty wide. Maybe. I don't know. If it were just sanded paint, fine; it's the patterning in the paint that I'm afraid of.

Would it be too much trouble to post a photo of the swirl pattern? Could it have been done with a trowel or spatula? Some trowels have serrated edges for doing swirls.

It is most annoying that the paneling was put up, because the wall is painted and finished underneath the glue. That's why we were hoping to get the glue off.

Could you scrape the glue off? It might damage the paper coating of the drywall, but you could even that back out with spackle. And if you put the swirl texture on the wall, it should blend well.

My husband thinks the paneling was put up in the first place as an accent because the foyer is long and narrow and he thinks it will be rather cave-like to have it all in one color.

Was it dark wood? I think the lightness of your paint would be less cavelike ;). And don't men like caves? :lol:

We're got Friend who use to work in construction coming over to look at it to see what can be done about the drywall problems, and I am trying to get Sorta Friend who was a house painter for many years to advise on the paint problems.

I think that's your best bet. Unless you want to invite all of your opinionated FSU friends out to consult :lol:.

Reuven
08-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I like the way the walls look now. That gluing pattern looks pretty darn cool to me. Modern art for free, whee! :smokin:Oooo! What if you took different colours and threw them against the wall and called it an undiscovered Jackson Pollack? OK, Iíll go quietly....:slinkaway

jamesy
08-23-2010, 12:30 AM
But ugh. Just once I'd like to have some sort of problem with the house where the answer starts with, "Oh, that's easy! All you have to do is_______."
Oh, that's easy! All you have to do is move.

:saint:

Prancer
08-23-2010, 12:53 AM
Would it be too much trouble to post a photo of the swirl pattern? Could it have been done with a trowel or spatula?

I don't know if it would show well; just think of a ceiling with a swirl pattern, only more subtle.

It's sort of like this: http://www.mustknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2_100_4285.jpg but with fewer swirls spread apart a little more.

Could you scrape the glue off? It might damage the paper coating of the drywall

But it's not on drywall--the drywall is painted already, and the paint with the sand in it is thick, almost like plaster. We'd have to use a belt sander to get down to the drywall and damage it. But if we sand the glue off, we'll sand down the bumps in the paint, which means the glue pattern will still show if just paint it, only in smooth swirls instead of bumpy ones.

I don't know if we can scrape the glue off or not; that was my original question--how can we get it off? But it looks like we won't be able to. So....

I think that's your best bet. Unless you want to invite all of your opinionated FSU friends out to consult :lol:.

That's pretty much what this is, isn't it? :lol: For every question, there is an FSU poster answer or 10.

Oh, that's easy! All you have to do is move.

Yeah, ha ha. And won't the house sell well with that foyer making the first impression. Unless.....

Oooo! What if you took different colours and threw them against the wall and called it an undiscovered Jackson Pollack? OK, I’ll go quietly....:slinkaway

Best idea yet!

cruisin
08-23-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't know if it would show well; just think of a ceiling with a swirl pattern, only more subtle.

It's sort of like this: http://www.mustknowhow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2_100_4285.jpg but with fewer swirls spread apart a little more.

Looks like they used some sort of special comb or steel wool for that.

But it's not on drywall--the drywall is painted already, and the paint with the sand in it is thick, almost like plaster. We'd have to use a belt sander to get down to the drywall and damage it. But if we sand the glue off, we'll sand down the bumps in the paint, which means the glue pattern will still show if just paint it, only in smooth swirls instead of bumpy ones.

I wonder if you scraped the glue off and dug into the paint a bit, if you could patch comb some sort of sanded base into what is there. Probably a nightmare to try and do, though.

That's pretty much what this is, isn't it? :lol: For every question, there is an FSU poster answer or 10.

Or 50 :lol:

Louis
08-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Potentially crazy idea -- can you put up new paneling? Birch/beech? Bamboo? Something modern?

Call me nuts, but I actually think paneling could make a comeback. We have pine paneling accents in our apartment that have been painted over. We're planning to sand down and stain all of it, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is on this one.

pat c
08-23-2010, 03:22 AM
Re-looked at the picture, and it looks like you have 2 different kinds of glue which doesn't help you. Either way, it probably isn't water based, which means you have these choices

1. Leave it and explain it's the newest thing
2. gyprock it
3. Do the Jackson Pollack Look
4. put on different paneling.
5. Wall paper it.
6. Remove the wall totally.
7. Move

Did I miss anything? ;)