PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination against fat girls

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

cruisin
08-27-2010, 05:03 PM
^^ I agree. I don't love the "real women have curves" thing. But I don't think it is to imply that thin or non-curvy women are not real. I think it's more to say that women with curves are real too. And should be considered beautiful even if they don't fit the Twiggy thin model shape, that seems to be the trend.

Satellitegirl
08-27-2010, 05:18 PM
It always kills me when there are comparisons made to models. I hope people realize that quite a few runway models start in their teens and aren't even done developing at that point...so it's not realistic to compare most of them to a grown woman.

Also I don't like when obese people refer to their weight as "curves".......if you're truly curvy in Marilyn Monroe fashion, and in the 10-16 range sure....but a size 24 is not curvy, it's obese. And skinnier people can be curvy too. It's all about breast/hip/waist ratio.

Anita18
08-27-2010, 06:27 PM
^^ I agree. I don't love the "real women have curves" thing. But I don't think it is to imply that thin or non-curvy women are not real. I think it's more to say that women with curves are real too. And should be considered beautiful even if they don't fit the Twiggy thin model shape, that seems to be the trend.
But then why would they choose that sentence construction? :o It's SO easy to read disdain into that sentence, depending on how one says it.

I would have gone with, "We're all beautiful women and we all rock so let's stop fecking worrying about this and :summer: "

Stormy
08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
But then why would they choose that sentence construction? :o It's SO easy to read disdain into that sentence, depending on how one says it.

I would have gone with, "We're all beautiful women and we all rock so let's stop fecking worrying about this and :summer: "

THIS! I don't care if it's backlash or what, but it's a sucky slogan. Two wrongs don't make a right in this case. It just screams disdain against smaller built women, and it perpetuates that curvier/heavier women should look down upon smaller women...."I have curves, so I am better/more real than you!" There shouldn't be that type of thinking on either side....easier said that done, I know. But that slogan isn't helpful in promoting the right kind of thinking.

Karina1974
08-28-2010, 02:12 AM
I've always read it that the "curves" they are referring to is a metaphor for having interests in other areas other than being a slave to their looks; say, they have far more going on in their lives than working out for hours, spending hours in front of the mirror, and spazzing over the fact that whatever they had for lunch is going to add several ounces to their weight. There are women out there who are complete slaves to their own image, to the detriment of cultivating other parts of their "self" and, therefore, their looks are pretty much the only thing they bring to the table, because that is where their focus tends to be. There's far more to "being a woman" than looking like the hottest thing in eye candy out there.

cruisin
08-28-2010, 03:14 PM

That would make an interesting campaign :lol:

THIS! I don't care if it's backlash or what, but it's a sucky slogan. Two wrongs don't make a right in this case. It just screams disdain against smaller built women, and it perpetuates that curvier/heavier women should look down upon smaller women...."I have curves, so I am better/more real than you!" There shouldn't be that type of thinking on either side....easier said that done, I know. But that slogan isn't helpful in promoting the right kind of thinking.

I was an AD for an ad agency. I'll be honest with you, I doubt they intended for people to analyze the slogan to this degree. I do not think there was any intent to disdain thin or non-curvy women, brands do not intentionally offend any market segment.

danceronice
08-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I was an AD for an ad agency. I'll be honest with you, I doubt they intended for people to analyze the slogan to this degree. I do not think there was any intent to disdain thin or non-curvy women, brands do not intentionally offend any market segment.

Agreed. I doubt they were thinking THAT deeply. Especially since the "non-curvy", or at least sylphic or svelte, are already the target of MOST fashion/beauty marketing as the intended consumers, with the intended or unintended consequence of telling the "curvy" women (size 8 and up) that they aren't the market, they shouldn't aspire to be fashionable unless they demonstrate enough "self-control" to be small. Cutting out that big a market share is not a good plan, but neither is cutting out the regular target market. So create a campaign that lets the untapped market feel good about themselves.