PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination against fat girls

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

cruisin
08-24-2010, 04:15 PM
When I was size 20, my self esteem was horrible. It was largest I had been in my life. I've been "thick" for the last 7 years, wearing a size 12 or 14 but I dressed well and my body type carried it well. I have "hourglass" figure, so when I gain weight I tend to gain it everywhere. As a size 20, I was still hit on my men. I am African American and I was hit on by black and latin men. I think some cultures view being overweight or thick differently than others. I have co workers who are sizes 24 and 26 who dress incredibly well. My co worker Teresa is a great example. Her hair, her nails and make up are ALWAYS well kept. She divorced a few years ago and remarried within a year and a half.

Teresa's pic (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs113.snc4/36032_407218727917_678572917_4612644_5132614_n.jpg ) I hope you guys can view it.

Anyway, I don't understand why western culture is so stuck on skinny being the standard of attractiveness. Skinny people are just as if not more in poor health than some obese people. It should be about being healthy regardless of your size and body type.

I could see it, she's beautiful! You make a good point, some cultures do seem to adore skinny women and some prefer women with a little more substance.
Who knows why. More importantly, why do we get caught up in it. Why is it still okay to judge someone based on their weight. We understand that it is wrong to judge based on other physical attributes, why is weight still okay?

The only thing I can come up with is that people perceive that if someone is overweight, they can just fix it. That it's their own fault and they don't care. And the person who is overweight believes that and consequently has low self esteem. They diet and often are not successful and feel like failures and beat themselves up. They almost give permission to the ignorant jerks to judge them, by buying into the idea that they are less than, because of their weight. Having weighed 230 myself, as a teenager. And struggling to maintain a 125-130 unrealistic weight for 30 years, I am guilty of that myself. But, I have become my own worst judge.

danceronice
08-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Heh, I would love to know what goes on in pants manufacturers' minds. I could have gone up to Maine and kissed someone at LL Bean when they started with the "curvy" fit--a cut that allows for a woman having wider hips without a correspondingly wider waist. YAY my pants are not falling down! (Not something that's easy to alter, either.) And I would love to track down the person at Penny's who does the American Living sizing--I have to go down to an EIGHT in their a-line skirts to keep it from falling off, which is two to three sizes smaller than my pants size. And it STILL gaps at the back of the waist. I like the kind of folk/boho stuff they make but fitting is just a wild guessing game.

cruisin
08-24-2010, 07:32 PM
^^ And I have a gripe with clothing manufacturers who suddenly decide to change their fit. There was a brand that I could buy off the racks without even trying on. They cut for their, then very straight figured, fit model. And their sizing was really true. Suddenly everything is smaller in the waist and wider in the hips, nothing fits me :(. I asked one of their reps, when they were in the store one day and they said that they decided that their market was curvier and they changed the cut. Well, now the stuff sits there, it doesn't sell as well. Because the market they always had was straight figured and doesn't buy it anymore. And the market they want doesn't know it's changed.

PRlady
08-24-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm not in retail marketing -- although it would make a nice career switch -- but I'm puzzled about why stores are not more upfront about how they size and who they're sizing for. Some places are obvious, Chico's is for women my age who are built like boxes because they've completely lost their waists. Which is a shame because some of their stuff is nice, but those of us with a little less box are not looking to enhance the boxiness!

Nothing at J Crew fits me. Nothing. Clearly the preppy gene went elsewhere, but come on, not even the t-shirts?

Urban Outfitter might target the young hip urban market but a lot of their stuff actually fits me. OK, so it might be too young for me but it fits. Are there that many twentysomethings built like I am? :confused:

Ann Taylor vanity-sized so abruptly a few years ago, I'll bet they lost some customers who were just completely confused. But they didn't say anything, just resized their whole line and left long-time customers to realize they had to start over again with their expectations.

God bless Banana. They're now my wardrobe basics and I know exactly what size I am in everything, and it all fits and it is sort of ageless, I can wear it and so can my daughter. I like their clothes so much I even bought $1000 worth of stock in Gap, which judging by the results this year was a mistake, but THAT'S brand loyalty.

danceronice
08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I went a few months between going in an Ann Taylor and I had no idea what was going on. Not that I have a huge call for new buisness clothes. But it was disconcerting.

I like Penny's and LL Bean for work/casual. As for jeans, Tractor Supply works for me!

Smiley0884
08-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Before all of this vanity sizing I was a size 4/6 depending on my weight fluctuations (I'm 5'4" ish and usually fluctuate from 110-118) now I'm a size ZERO! That really doesn't seem accurate at all. I'm 25, so I'm in that weird limbo where I still shop at juniors from time to time. I generally find juniors to be a bit more accurate, as I'm usually a size 2-4 there. But womens, forget it.

I too have that weird gap in the backside of my pants since I have a huge butt, but small hips and waist. So annoying! I'm on the small side compared to most women, but I wonder what REALLY small women do? How the heck do they find clothes when I can barely find anything that fits properly!?

Oh and has anyone seen this?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/ann-taylor-s-retoucher-strikes-again-2225865/

This is exactly why women have body image issues. And I think the overly air brushed model looked better BEFORE they mangled her waist line.

Anita18
08-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Before all of this vanity sizing I was a size 4/6 depending on my weight fluctuations (I'm 5'4" ish and usually fluctuate from 110-118) now I'm a size ZERO! That really doesn't seem accurate at all. I'm 25, so I'm in that weird limbo where I still shop at juniors from time to time. I generally find juniors to be a bit more accurate, as I'm usually a size 2-4 there. But womens, forget it.

I too have that weird gap in the backside of my pants since I have a huge butt, but small hips and waist. So annoying! I'm on the small side compared to most women, but I wonder what REALLY small women do? How the heck do they find clothes when I can barely find anything that fits properly!?

Oh and has anyone seen this?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/ann-taylor-s-retoucher-strikes-again-2225865/

This is exactly why women have body image issues. And I think the overly air brushed model looked better BEFORE they mangled her waist line.
That's exactly what happened to me. I still have dresses I got at Macy's from the same brand, except one is from high school and one is from a few years ago. The label says 4/6 on the older one, but 0/2 on the newer one, and the 4/6 one is actually TIGHT while the 0/2 one is loose on me. :rofl:

What's also amusing is that curvy jeans fit most comfortable on me, and I have NO waist to speak of.

Back when I was a 4/6, my mom was a 0/2. She hasn't gotten new clothes in years. Her shopaholic sister is still giving her new clothes that she bought from back then. :lol: I suspect she won't be able to buy any off the rack now, without going into the children's section. :shuffle:

And as for that Ann Taylor ad, anyone who knows what human bodies look like knows that having waists or hips that small is pretty much impossible. It does happen, but to serious genetic freaks. It's the smaller airbrushing jobs, where you can't easily tell they did it, that I think do the most damage.

cruisin
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Some places are obvious, Chico's is for women my age who are built like boxes because they've completely lost their waists. Which is a shame because some of their stuff is nice, but those of us with a little less box are not looking to enhance the boxiness!

Yeah, not sure who Chico's is made for.

[quote]Nothing at J Crew fits me. Nothing. Clearly the preppy gene went elsewhere, but come on, not even the t-shirts?

For me J. Crew is a gift from heaven. Crew and their sister store Madewell are two of the few stores where I know things will fit. The Tees do run small and long - perfect for me :D. I also fit into Vince & Theory really well, but I wait for sales for that. I totally love the Vince style, and the woman who works in the Vince department at Bloomingdales, calls me when it goes on sale and saves my size in things she thinks I might like. I always make friends with the sales people at stores. They help you and when you buy things they get a commission, so it's all good.

Urban Outfitter ...Ann Taylor...God bless Banana.

None of the above fit me. Everything is too short or too wide in the hips. Mostly too short.

vesperholly
08-24-2010, 10:56 PM

UGH. :rolleyes:

oleada
08-25-2010, 06:18 AM

I hear you! I'm 5'2" and fluctuate between 115-125. So you know, small, but tiny or some kind of stick, and there are certainly people who are smaller. How am I a zero?! I'm 22, so I still shop at juniors more often than not.

Anne Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, The Gap - pretty much nothing there tends to fit. I like The Limited, even if I'm XS. I prefer Mango, Zara & H&M, as European based stores seem to fit my body better.

I'm top heavy, though. My ass is as flat as a board, I have narrow hips and thin legs, so aside from length, I have a much easier time shopping for pants, skirts and dresses. But shopping for tops :scream: I have thick arms and a D/DD cup - so that's a lot harder, even at stores I like. Right now, I'm at the heavier end of my normal weight, and my stomach/arms/boobs is where I gain ALL of it.

fragoletta
08-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I don't know about the US but in Europe certain brands (like Bershka) offer sizes that are too small even for my friend who is 5' 6" and is barely 100lbs (and no, she is not anorexic, it's just her genes and she can't gain much weight no matter how hard she tries). I wonder who is buying them, even teenagers aren't that skinny...:wideeyes:

*Jen*
08-25-2010, 02:57 PM
I don't know about the US but in Europe certain brands (like Bershka) offer sizes that are too small even for my friend who is 5' 6" and is barely 100lbs (and no, she is not anorexic, it's just her genes and she can't gain much weight no matter how hard she tries). I wonder who is buying them, even teenagers aren't that skinny...:wideeyes:

Well Bershka is a teen brand, isn't it? And ITA, they are TINY! My slim roommate had to buy a sweater there in L and she normally wears and EU 36.

I think those tiny sizes are possibly for kids. I asked a friend who works in retail, and she said they floated the idea of bringing in a UK 4 at her work but decided against it because the clothes weren't good for little girls. Basically, there is a generation of kids who hit about age 10 and shoot up, meaning they're too tall for kids clothes but too skinny for ladies clothes.

Ladies UK 4 and 6 (EU 32ish?) are mainly meant for those tall kiddies, between 10-13, and no one else.

If true, it's a shame they don't make it more widely known, both so the parents of tall skinny kids can know where to buy the clothes and adults can know it's a kid's size that we're not supposed to fit into unless genetically tiny.

Holley Calmes
08-25-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm a Chico's girl myself, and so is my 37 year old daughter. She's naturally svelte, but she still likes the styles. I've never been one to wear tailored clothes, and I loathe suits (for me-they look great on everybody else, but I'm shortwaisted, long legged, and have no shoulders. Suits make me look like a box.) I hate being constricted by a jacket. I'd wear a toga every day if I could get away with it.

But Chico's is fun because they have a lot of flowy things with bright colors, which pleases me greatly. And it's decent quality. But most of all-it's comfortable and fun. Also do Coldwater Creek, and Nordstroms has some nice things one doesn't see every day down here in the South.

fragoletta
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I wonder if many parents even consider going to some of these shops for their kids if they think the clothes there are only for adults (and I don't mean the size but the type of clothing)...Specifically in Bershka my friend bought a mini skirt 2 sizes bigger than the smallest one available in the store! :wideeyes:
And don't even start me on Mango and their jeans...I am 5' 7" and 145 lbs and there would probably be one pair in the store that fits me, the last time I was there I couldn't fit in 44-46! Yes, I am a little wider in the hips but come on! I wonder who the hell are these people making clothes for? If average people like me have a hard time finding a pair of jeans I can only imagine how it is like for people who have a more specific figure.

Anita18
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Well Bershka is a teen brand, isn't it? And ITA, they are TINY! My slim roommate had to buy a sweater there in L and she normally wears and EU 36.

I think those tiny sizes are possibly for kids. I asked a friend who works in retail, and she said they floated the idea of bringing in a UK 4 at her work but decided against it because the clothes weren't good for little girls. Basically, there is a generation of kids who hit about age 10 and shoot up, meaning they're too tall for kids clothes but too skinny for ladies clothes.

Ladies UK 4 and 6 (EU 32ish?) are mainly meant for those tall kiddies, between 10-13, and no one else.

If true, it's a shame they don't make it more widely known, both so the parents of tall skinny kids can know where to buy the clothes and adults can know it's a kid's size that we're not supposed to fit into unless genetically tiny.
Yeah despite all of the childhood obesity going on, I still see a lot of pre-teen girls built like I was pre-puberty - a long stick insect. :lol: Since a lot of clothes are more fitted now, it's understandable that someone would make clothes manufactured to actually fit those girls. Back then I wore a lot of stirrup leggings. :lol:

And it also may be a general size thing. In Taiwan, my mom couldn't stop :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: since I was a size L in pants. I'm 5'5" (tall in Taiwan), 100-110lbs, and my waist/hip is 26/35. Maybe Bershka is sizing for tiny pre-teen girls. :lol: