PDA

View Full Version : Soccer player becomes figure skater aka Bestandigova news. (Threads Merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

lulu
09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
They are on the ice when we train. They are looking good. His basic skating skills are amazing. You would never know that he didn't grow up skating. He's very strong and off ice they can do many of the pair lifts. On ice the lifts are coming and his feet on the turns are impressive, not scary. Oli is a very good partner for him. She's a strong pair girl.

Thanks for the update. I haven't even heard of him until I read this thread, but I think I have my new favorite pairs team. :P His skating sounds very impressive, and I can't wait to see them skate in competition. :cheer2:

luenatic
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
warm up video of ilhan; some more right above int he corner

http://twitter.yfrog.com/11spelwqyrwfeoaskuvculnzz

Interesting... Stronger left knee bend than the right...

schiele_
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Well, when I watched him on the Dancing on Ice show, his progress was mind boggling. I know he's an athlete, so he has a natural advantage over others but still.. The others really couldnt compete with him in any way. Even then a lot of ppl said he was a natural talent and he was insisting on being shown new and more difficult moves in training although he didnt need them to win. I think he immediately has gotten fond of skating and his pleasure from skating came across.
I know its almost an impossible dream but all the more power to him for following it through..

ioana
09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
I know its almost an impossible dream but all the more power to him for following it through..

If nothing else, making this much progress in 2 years as an adult skater would make an excellent inspirational story for anyone who starts skating later on in life. I really don't know how realistic Sochi is, but it's always better to try and have no regrets later on :respec:

Ziggy
09-13-2012, 10:40 AM
And there are other competitions besides Sochi.

Turkey has never had a pair team and it would be great to see them compete at some international competitions at least.

Asli
09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Interesting... Stronger left knee bend than the right...

I thought his career-ending injury was to the left knee. :confused:

Thıs is too much information about football for me, but you just can't escape it! :scream:

jjane45
01-24-2013, 03:02 PM
They are on the ice when we train. They are looking good. His basic skating skills are amazing. You would never know that he didn't grow up skating. He's very strong and off ice they can do many of the pair lifts. On ice the lifts are coming and his feet on the turns are impressive, not scary. Oli is a very good partner for him. She's a strong pair girl.

Thanks icetiff!

Does anyone know how his solo jumps progressed? Excerpts from October 2011 Absolute Skating interview (http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2011bestandigovamansiz1):

Which elements can you already do flawlessy?

Olga: Some of the elements, the spirals and the pairs spin are on the highest level, if we execute them as we can. The hardest are obviously the solo jumps. There are days when he fully rotates a double salchow or a double toeloop and lands it on two feet, but there are days when he simply canít get into the technique and then he canít do it at all.

Updates are greatly appreciated. Mind boggling progress indeed, how much can an adult skater achieve with athletic talent + limitless resources + strong dedication in 4 years?

Sylvia
02-28-2013, 01:38 AM
New article in The Guardian: Ilhan Mansiz: from World Cup hero to Olympic pairs figure skater? (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/feb/27/ilhan-mansiz-world-cup-olympic-skater)

"We are not expecting to get a medal but to be a part of the Olympics will mean much more than winning. It is also about encouraging people that no matter what, at any age, you can reach your dreams by believing and working hard."

What makes this surprising tale even more unlikely is that Mansiz's left knee was torn to shreds by the crash six years ago. Sustaining medial ligament damage and with cartilage seemingly beyond repair, the fact that he and Bestandigova are now practising death star spirals, flying camels and double jumps on a rink in Arizona as they bid to qualify for Sochi next year is some turnaround.

"I would be the first athlete to compete in the World Cup and the Winter Olympics," says Mansiz, who is in the midst of a gruelling regime that involves six sessions of yoga, ballet and gym work every week, with plenty of time on the ice. "I had never even watched skating before I stepped on the ice for the first time when I was 32.

"There are two ways to qualify for Sochi. First is in March during the world championships, which we are not taking part in. Sixteen couples can qualify there and four more spots will be won in September at the Nebelhorn Trophy in Oberstdorf. We are planning to compete there to be one of the four best non-qualified pairs."
("Death star spirals" :lol:)

Ziggy
02-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the update, Sylvia.

It will be quite heartbreaking to watch them finish dead last at Nebelhorn Trophy. :/

jjane45
02-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Any training reports from Arizona? ;D

barbk
02-28-2013, 02:46 AM
I'm adopting "death star spirals" -- what a great concept.

Eislauffan
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the update, Sylvia.

It will be quite heartbreaking to watch them finish dead last at Nebelhorn Trophy. :/

They might finish last but by participating they get their chance to qualify maybe as substitutes eventually. Not all countries qualified might use their spots (as we know from the past) and not so many countries have pairs anyway.

For the 2010 Olympic Winter Games, there was even one spot in Ice Dance left vacant as not everybody qualified wanted or could use their spot. The Greek-Canadian dance team had citizenship issues I think and the Swiss couple (or their Federation) were stupid enough not to go to Oberstdorf and try to qualify.

Zemgirl
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Performing death star spirals needs to be a new rep level.

I saw that he's up to training double jumps, which, considering the depth of the pairs field, means that they might not finish last in NT. I wish them well, either way. It's pretty cool for a footballer to try to do this, and at such a late age.

Kelvster
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
wish them all the very best!!

it would be soooooooo cool to see them in Sochi ....

Asli
02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
Ilhan Mansiz:
"It is also about encouraging people that no matter what, at any age, you can reach your dreams by believing and working hard."

That is true, if you are already a world-class athlete with phenomenal physical strength and stamina, have more money than you can spend in a lifetime, you are a national hero and heart-throb with sponsors forming a queue and therefore take no risk by spending some of your best years having fun in the rink with your girlfriend.

In such a case, you can dream along at any age, no matter what. ;)