PDA

View Full Version : Sportswriter Mike Celizic writes about his battle with cancer

Garden Kitty
08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Sportswriter Mike Celizic, who has written a number of stories about skating, wrote a very touching column today about his losing fight with cancer (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38771115/ns/today-today_health). Very touching, and some of his earlier columns about the diagnosis are definitely worth reading.

Im dying.

The lymphoma wed thought wed beaten into remission back in May came roaring back last month. We threw some really nasty chemo at it. The cancer ate it up and came back for more.

And so Im going to die, and not in four or five months. Ive got probably a couple of halfway decent weeks left. Then the lymphoma will take over my bloodstream and kill me.

Cheylana
08-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Aww, that is so sad that he's dying. I've always enjoyed his columns. He writes about it all so eloquently.

AragornElessar
08-23-2010, 10:46 PM
:(

Words fail me, except for this...

We've got to drop kick this damned disease into some place where it ceases to exist forever and ever!!

I hope and pray he and his Family have the support they need for the next few weeks.

overedge
08-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Thanks for posting the link. What a touching column - I admire his strength in saying enough with the chemo, and deciding to enjoy the time he has left. And I also :rofl: at the part about his buddy bringing burgers and Corona into the hospital for him.

skatingfan5
08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for posting that link -- what a wonderful, terrible story. Mike Celizic is a great writer -- and god bless his friend for bringing him the contraband burger and beer for his birthday.

Beefcake
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, :( this thread is back on top of the page for the reason you're fearing ...

RIP, Mike Celizic (nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38832689/ns/sports/)

skatingfan5
09-22-2010, 07:11 PM
Yes, I knew why this thread reappeared at the top today. :( RIP, Mike Celizic.

AragornElessar
09-24-2010, 12:44 AM

Condolences and prayers to his family and friends.