PDA

View Full Version : Are earbuds making you deaf?

Pages : 1 [2]

cruisin
08-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Another reason not to have ear buds/phones too loud: If you bike, walk, or run outside, you can't hear cars coming. Very dangerous.

Aussie Willy
08-19-2010, 12:10 AM
I agree about cell phones - I especially don't want to hear people arguing on them. As for ear buds, I only use my MP3 player when I'm away and don't have a radio to listen to at night. Then I used the ear phones and set the sleep function for ten or twenty minutes. Of course, I'd usually wake up at some point and unwrap the cord from around my neck!
I have the same problem if I go to sleep listening to music on my mp3. :)

But I think it is a matter of consideration for those around not to talk too loud on a phone or have your music that loud that others have to hear it. One of the things I hate about travelling on public transport.

Norlite
08-19-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm so old-fashioned...

To me, cell phones are for emergency situations or for private conversations in private places. I would never talk about personal matters where others might hear. It's so tacky...and tactless.

Me too. Cell phone to me is for emergencies only, usually only carry one when on the highway, or if I will be away from home for a period and might need info. Think back in the old days, and using a pay phone. Might have done it a few times a year, if that. Never ever just to call and ask "whatcha doin'?"

My ears physically hurt from the disk-like earbuds that came with my iPod, so I bought some buds that are more cylindrical, and I don't get sore ears. I'm also a lot wiser than I was when I was 20, and I keep the volume at a reasonable level -- so that I can still hear conversation around me.

Yeah, me too. can't wear the Apple type buds for even 5 minutes. Feels like my ears are cut. Bought nice little BOSE ones.

Actually, my ipod is on all the time. And I mean all. the. time. But I use it either at home in the dock or in the car intergrated with the car's system. Rarely with the earphones.

And I'm always telling my grandsons to turn the volume down. So do their parents. One plays it so loud it's skary.

manhn
08-19-2010, 01:29 AM
I love my blackberry. How else to provide practice reports at the rink?

walei
08-19-2010, 02:07 AM
I got an iPod last Christmas for the first time. So I went and listened to some music with my earphones in and when I was done noticed my ears hurt realllllllllllllllly bad. I didn't even have the volume up that high. I believe there's something really wrong with those earphones I don't like using them.

iPod's earphone are horribly big, I can't even get it inside my ear. I bought another one with a rubber head that you stuff it inside and it's way more comfy with better sound quality. Also I believe with those rubber in-ear type earphones you don't need to have the volume up too high to hear it clearly.

mkats
08-21-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure there is anything more ANNOYING AND INCONSIDERATE than someone who plays music in ANY public space where someone else can hear that person's music.

There was one morning I was on the metro going to work and due to whatever reason, our train was stopped underground between stations... it was hot, people were standing, people were late for work and grumbling, ...and one guy was listening to Miley Cyrus's "Party in the USA" so loudly that everyone on the train could hear it. You should have seen the looks he got :lol: but sadly it didn't convince him to turn it down :rolleyes:

joeperryfan
08-21-2010, 09:07 PM
The only time I like to listen to music on a portable device is when I'm taking a long trip by train or bus, so I don't even own a mp3 player just a cd player, maybe one day I'll actually bother to buy one I just haven't justified the expense yet. I have small ears so most in-ear devices hurt therefore I usually use the old fashioned foam ones with a headband or at best some that are just a small disc that hangs on the ear but are not as intrusive as the earbuds. One thing that I've always done is to check the sound volume before I put them on, if I can hear the music when the headphones are on my lap then it's too loud. I was never a fan of loud music and I like to keep what I'm listening to myself. And I like to hear what's going on around me.

Oh, and don't you just love those people who describe medical procedures on the bus? Everybody else just reaaaally needed to listen to that story.

susan6
08-22-2010, 01:21 AM
I'm another person who never got into earbuds; I just use the old fashioned "rests on the ears, not in them" kind with the fuzzy covers. And I keep the volume down.

It doesn't surprise me that people are starting to have hearing loss. With mp3 players becoming so light and inexpensive, everyone walks around in their own personal studio. What I've wondered is, what about the mobile club? A lot of people like to trick out their car so they can blast their music for everyone to hear. (ANNOYING.) Some sound systems are so loud you can actually hear the car parts rattling with the bass. That CANNOT be good for the driver's hearing. Any reports on hearing loss due to car stereo systems?

KikiSashaFan
08-22-2010, 01:31 AM
I have two ipods, a regular one and a shuffle I use at the gym or when I go running, and they both have ear buds. I find the over the ear ones uncomfortable and I like that the ear buds let a bit of sound in since I don't like to be totally unaware of what's going on around me. I always put them on and then take them out and check to see if I can hear anything, more because I hate when other people hear my music than for the actual noise factor. Even when I'm in the car listening to the regular stereo, I always turn it down when I drive in a parking lot or somewhere there's people, even if it wasn't that loud to begin with.

Aussie Willy
08-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Another problem is pedestrians have been killed or injured by vehicles due to their music blocking out all other sounds. So they can't hear the thing that is about to hit them.