PDA

View Full Version : the truth behind Japan's reputed high life expectancy....

Buzz
08-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Japan has always taken pride in having so many centenarians and one of the world's highest life expectancy. However a controversy has erupted in Japan when it came to light that a man thought to be Tokyo's oldest at 111 had actually been dead for decades. So the government has sent workers out to look in on the elderly and have found hundreds of reputed centenarians have long since either died or simply missing and cannot be found. Apparently some family members would not report someone's death and instead just keep their pension checks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/15/world/asia/15japan.html?_r=1&ref=global-home

agalisgv
08-15-2010, 04:20 PM
OT, but it turns out Mormons in Utah have higher life expectancy rates than the Japanese (I believe they are the highest rates in the US, and among the highest in the world).

Matryeshka
08-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Well, Mormons don't drink, don't smoke, and many don't consume caffeine of any type. They also tend to be fairly active in an outdoorsy sort of way, or at least every Mormon I've ever met has been.

Of course, the flip side is this old joke my mom's old doctor used to tell:
Patient: Doc, if I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, and eat healthfully, will I love to be 100?
Doc: Sure, but if you couldn't do anything fun, why would you want to?
:rofl:

IceAlisa
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
So Matry, does this mean that Mormons don't drink tea, including green? Don't eat chocolate? :(

I heard that joke in the movie Trois Couleurs Bleu.

Prancer
08-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm going to be hearing Adam Ant all afternoon now, thanks.

Don't drink, don't smoke
What do you do
Don't drink, don't smoke
What do you do
Subtle innuendos follow
There must be something inside

nubka
08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm Mormon, and I eat chocolate - yum! :) :)