PDA

View Full Version : coincidence?

Pages : [1] 2 3

carriecmu0503
08-15-2010, 01:45 AM
I was just thinking:
In 2006, Evan placed 4th in his first Olympics, coached by Frank Carroll while skating to Carmen. He went on to win his second Olympics in 2010.

This bodes well for Mirai! Think about it: 4th in her first Olympics, coached by Frank Carroll skating to Carmen! She better not test the fate Gods and just plan to skate to Sheherezade in 2014!

NMURA
08-15-2010, 02:35 AM
The next OG is in RUSSIA. This doesn't bode well for Frank Caroll's people.

Japanfan
08-15-2010, 03:42 AM

So long as there is no Russian or European lady who has a legitimate shot at the Gold medal, it shouldn't make that much difference.

During this next cycle I expect that Russia will focus on the development of dance and pair teams which can contend for a medal. They have always been strong in these fields but generally weak in ladies.

And if any deals are going to be made and Mirai is a favourite for Gold, Russia might make a deal with the US.

NMURA
08-15-2010, 03:52 AM
So long as there is no Russian or European lady who has a legitimate shot at the Gold medal, it shouldn't make that much difference.

During this next cycle I expect that Russia will focus on the development of dance and pair teams which can contend for a medal. They have always been strong in these fields but generally weak in ladies.

And if any deals are going to be made and Mirai is a favourite for Gold, Russia might make a deal with the US.

I think the Sochi's golds for dance and pairs are already done deals for Russia. There won't be any need to "deal" with the US or any countries. And this time, they seriously want the ladies gold ("sweep" if possible).

Prancer
08-15-2010, 04:24 AM
If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.

BigB08822
08-15-2010, 05:01 AM

If there is any event that the Russians probably wont win it would be the ladies. I bet they find a way to clinch the dance and pairs but at this point everything is way too far away to even have a clue.

Kwantumleap
08-15-2010, 05:45 AM
Someone has a lot of free time on their hands ;)

Aussie Willy
08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
I am not sure that you can increase the probabilities on the back of one skater.

CaptCrunch
08-15-2010, 02:19 PM
The Russian ladies will be Russia's best shot for gold come Sochi. They have an embarrassment of riches right now with young up and coming ladies. Not all of them are going to blow up on them.

The Russian pairs program has taken a big hit and it won't recover from it. Economically they will find out now how difficult it is to keep pair teams together. As Russia gets stronger in one discipline they will get weaker in others.

Their jr. dance team (I/K) will definitely be pushed to the forefront and they will contend for gold in Sochi.

Russia will not contend for gold in either pairs or mens. Volozo./Trankov will not win gold in Sochi. No way no how. She will be past her prime by them and Trankov has never been much of a competitor. The rest of their pairs are far too weak to ever contend for an olympic medal.

Ladies and dance will be Russia's only shot for olympic gold come Sochi.

hanca
08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
The Russian ladies will be Russia's best shot for gold come Sochi. They have an embarrassment of riches right now with young up and coming ladies. Not all of them are going to blow up on them.

The Russian pairs program has taken a big hit and it won't recover from it. Economically they will find out now how difficult it is to keep pair teams together. As Russia gets stronger in one discipline they will get weaker in others.

Their jr. dance team (I/K) will definitely be pushed to the forefront and they will contend for gold in Sochi.

Russia will not contend for gold in either pairs or mens. Volozo./Trankov will not win gold in Sochi. No way no how. She will be past her prime by them and Trankov has never been much of a competitor. The rest of their pairs are far too weak to ever contend for an olympic medal.

I agree with you that the ladies will be a strong discipline for Russia in Sochi. They have far too many good ladies that are just now entering the juniors and it is very unlikely that all of them would not manage to go through puberty.

However, I disagree that Russian weakest discipline will be pairs. At the moment they have 6 reasonably strong pairs, so if either of them starts having problems, they will be very easily replaced. In regards to Volosozhar being too old...well look at the age of Shen/Zhao.... Besides, all the current top pairs will be around that age - for example I don't think Savchenko/Szolkovy, Pang/Tong etc are much younger.

In my opinion the weakest discipline will be men, byt saying that, I haven't been following young Russian men (juniors who will just become eligible for Sochi) so it may be that actually they are not going to have a weak discipline.

briancoogaert
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Someone has a lot of free time on their hands ;)
:lol: Probably !

dinakt
08-15-2010, 05:28 PM

Tatiana Vol. won't necessarily be past her prime- she'll be only 27- much younger than Gold or Silver pair medalists this year.
I have no way of knowing, of course! - but vague recent reports from FSO boards say that Volosozhar/ Trankov look excellent in practice. We'll know more very soon.

zigzig
08-15-2010, 07:32 PM
If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.

Except in Michelle's case :(

ETA: D'oh - forgot that she had already left him by then but I think she was still with him when that program was originally conceived...

Polymer Bob
08-16-2010, 01:35 AM
Yes, it is coincidence.

caseyedwards
08-16-2010, 03:17 AM
How about in 2006 Lysacek bombed in his short program and while Nagusu did fine she got a nosebleed which could have caused problems. So they both had problems in the short but did well in the long.

I forget what this thread was about while I was reading it because it turned into a thread about Russia because of the idea that no Carroll skater would do well in Russia. I don't agree that pairs will be weakest. I think men will be weakest. Russia as of right now has three seniors and one junior with potential in mens. Actually I am never sure what kind of performance Voronov will give. Then there is Plushenko who says stuff like the Japan Open is training for Sochi but that can be seen as just smart PR.