PDA

View Full Version : coincidence?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Dragonlady
08-22-2010, 12:57 AM
But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...

I did say that I thought it ridiculous to say that any skater(s) would win gold in 2014 at this point. At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver. Growth issues and poor technique plagued her and she didn't even make the US team.

diskates
08-22-2010, 04:58 PM
I definitely need to see how Mirai does the up-comming season before I can start thinking of her as a potential World Champion contender. Its way to early to even start thinking of Sochi yet. Mirai definitely impressed me with her 4th place finish and clean programs at the Olympics, but she was still 12.5 points behind Joannie so its not like she just barely missed out on the podium. Her score was more in line wth Miki's and Laura's so she was much closer to getting bumped to 5th or 6th then she was to getting 3rd. At Worlds this year, she could have had a medal due to major mistakes by others if she had skated a clean long.

She has definitely shown the figure skating world that she is someone to think about and take serious so reputation should be on her side this coming year if she continues to skate well. To contend for the world title with the current crop of skaters, she needs to get her 3-3s consistent and fix her underrotation issues that she gets dinged for sometimes. Dealing with her nerves issues would also help.

Its way to early to start considering anybody as a major contender for the OGM in Sochi yet. Its too far away. Yes, I'm sure if Kim Yu-Na sticks around, she will be talked about as a contender, and Mao Asada will be there with her triple axels, but there could well be other girls doing them at that point too. There will always be new talent coming through the pipelines and the cast of major contenders is never exactly the same from one Olympics to the next. Maybe the person we will all be talking about in 2014 is 12 years old right now and not even eligible for the Junior level yet?

Polymer Bob
08-22-2010, 06:44 PM
At the end of the 2006/07 season after breaking all of Mao and Yu-Na's junior scoring records, people said Zhang was a lock for gold in Vancouver.

I recall Caroline being considered a lock to make the Vancouver team, but I don't recall her being a lock to win.

Anyway, things can change drastically from just one season the the next. Last summer, wasn't Mirai telling the media how she wasn't very pretty or very smart? Skating is a very dynamic, rapidly changing landscape.

orbitz
08-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?

Fratianne skated to Schez in 76 and 78. She skated to Carmen in 79 and 80.

It's still a puzzle to me why Frank had her skate to Schez again in 78 in a program that was a pale comparison to her 76 performance.