PDA

View Full Version : coincidence?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

key65man
08-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I think the minimum of two ladies with triple Axel -- perhaps all UR'd versions, tho -- will have a legit shot at the gold. I don't think Mirai is going to be one of them. Then, her best shot is to perfect 3Lz-3T. However, with the comparative advantages of 3-3 and even 2A-3 minimized both in comparison with 3A and in terms of relative scoring advantage over UR'd versions, Mirai will be at disadvantage against better competitions even if she somehow gets her 3Lz-3T down.

So, The new rules may prove to be a double edged sword for Mirai. Apparently, she is to reap the benefits of the 70% rule. Though that helps to stablize her lower limit in scoring and therefore improve her chance at the podium (at least before Sochi), in order for Mirai to win either gold or silver consistently at a bigger stage, she must fully rotate her jumps. The new rules does not help her in that regard.

Actually, if both Yuna and Mao show up along with a couple of Russian girls in Sochi, Mirai may not have a decent shot at the podium unless they bomb their programs.

Of course, Mirai has a serious political backing because she can affect the two biggest figure skating markets, the U.S. and Japan. She also has the examplary flexibility that makes good TV for casual fans. I guess she won't suffer in terms of PCS. But, that won't be guaranteed in Sochi, either.

manleywoman
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
If Mirai skates to Scheherazade in Sochi, we will know the sekret Frank Carroll program for Olympic success.

You forget Kwan and Fratianne also skated to Schez.

attyfan
08-17-2010, 05:11 PM
You forget Kwan and Fratianne also skated to Schez.

Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?

Kwantumleap
08-18-2010, 04:55 AM
Kwan, however, did not skate to "Carmen" four years before skating to Schez. Did Fratianne?
Actually, she did technically :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNcoAVN3-0

attyfan
08-18-2010, 05:23 AM
Actually, she did technically :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNcoAVN3-0

You're right ... it was the '98/'99 season, not just the '99 season. However, she did not skate to "Carmen" at her first Olys.

Jenna
08-18-2010, 05:29 AM
I have no problem with Mirai winning in '14. :D

There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?" :lol:

LuckyCharm
08-18-2010, 03:26 PM
This will probably only work if Mirai first wins '13 Worlds skating to Gershwin.

gkelly
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
There should be a vBet event - "Will Mirai skate to Schez. for her FS in the '13-'14 season?" :lol:

And will Mirai register anonymously at FSU, bet big on that question, and then manipulate the outcome with her own music choice? :D

Dragonlady
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.

hanca
08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I love it that people have decided that Russian skaters, or any country's skaters for that matter, are going to win gold in 2014. We don't even know if these teams will still be together in 2014.

Every season we have people telling us that his skater is that one is absolutely a "lock" for the gold and how often has that turned out to be correct?

I'd rather wait another 3+ years before I begin to speculate on who will win the gold in Sochi and then it will be based on who is skating, who is healthy and who is not, and who looks ready to contend.

But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).

Carolla5501
08-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I think the Sochi's golds for dance and pairs are already done deals for Russia. There won't be any need to "deal" with the US or any countries. And this time, they seriously want the ladies gold ("sweep" if possible).

But noone is saying here that they are a "lock" for the gold. What people are saying is that they have quite a few strong pairs, so it won't be their weakest discipline (in comparison with other skating disciplines).

See above... At least ONE poster knows...:lol:

However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......:watch:

hanca
08-19-2010, 06:10 PM
See above... At least ONE poster knows...:lol:

However, I give this just as much weight at Mr Wier's "whining" that the only reason he didn't win a medal was that Evan did......:watch:

But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...

Carolla5501
08-20-2010, 02:35 AM
But isn't that the same type of speculations we have all over this forum? Such as, Mirai Nagasu is strong for gold in Sochi, she is strong enough to beat Asada, Kim and ....(add there names)...

They just provide entertainment too.

The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. :lol:)

numbers123
08-20-2010, 02:59 AM
They just provide entertainment too.

The nice thing about this board is that some posters KNOW who will win without the event taking place (and then KNOW their skater was robbed without seeing the event. :lol:)

I guess this goes to show you how desperate we are for the GP series to start. When we start predicting who will win light years in the future. :lol:

And I thought UMBS's vbets for the GP Finals was a bit premature. :watch:

sadya
08-21-2010, 06:44 AM
I doubt if Russia will win gold in any of the figure skating disciplines in 2014, but then again you never know what unexpected something can happen. As the cliché says; ice is slippery.