PDA

View Full Version : YOUR most favourite "genius" movie ending(s) EVAH!?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

smurfy
08-15-2010, 03:04 PM
I also love any movie that tells me whatever happened to each and every character. My favourite is Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Loved how each character in Animal House ended up.

Fergus
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Primal Fear. (Gere, Norton)

I usually can figure out endings easily...But for some reason that one caught me completely by surprise.

Agreed 100%, I was completely caught off guard with that ending. :wideeyes:

"Derailed" with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston had some good twists, too, but I guess we can thank the author of the novel for them. ;) My better-half saw them a mile away but I fell for it.

Buzz
08-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

Casablanca

The Departed

michiruwater
08-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Definitely The Departed.

Grave of the Fireflies

duane
08-15-2010, 04:27 PM
These endings immediately came to mind when I saw this thread:

Primal Fear
The Usual Suspects
Jacob's Ladder
Diabolique (the original, or course)
The Vanishing (again, the original)

Squibble
08-15-2010, 06:07 PM
The Crying Game was supposed to be a surprise ending, but I knew immediately.

The famous "surprise" in The Crying Game comes about two thirds of the way through the movie. The plot goes on from that twist. The actual ending isn't much of a suprise, and the very last scene, in which Dil visits Fergus in prison, is there only to give a happy ending that wasn't really needed.

LuckyCharm
08-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Primal Fear. (Gere, Norton)

I usually can figure out endings easily, well more easilily than anyone else in my family. They often wonder how I got that and my stock answer is I could have written it myself.

But for some reason that one caught me completely by surprise.

This one got me too. Norton played it wonderfully.

"Derailed" with Clive Owen and Jennifer Aniston had some good twists, too, but I guess we can thank the author of the novel for them. ;) My better-half saw them a mile away but I fell for it.

I thought Derailed was sort of awful, but that rather kick-ass ending redeemed it for me.

These endings immediately came to mind when I saw this thread:
The Vanishing (again, the original)

Great one! I came across it on TV one day having never heard of it nor of the remake. Silly American that I am, I was very much expecting a particular ending, so when it totally didn't happen, the impact was huge. It was on my mind for hours afterward. From what I understand, the remake ends the way I expected the original to. I've never bothered to see it.

Grannyfan
08-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Love the ending of Some Like It Hot. The most satisfying ending to any movie ever, for me, has to be The Shawshank Redemption and Cold Mountain one of the least.

taf2002
08-15-2010, 08:25 PM
The Verdict - when the juror asks if they are bound to a particular amt to award - chills

Animal House - the parade scene was hysterical

not at the very end but the courtroom scene in My Cousin Vinny when Marisa Tomei testifies

smurfy
08-15-2010, 09:19 PM
also not at the end, but shocking....
Damage - when Jeremy Iron's son walks into the apt...

screech
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Rhett's final line in Gone with the Wind. Love how Scarlett finally gets her head out of her ass, but he's too fed up.

Not really a classic/genius ending, but I always loved that Westley offered the job of Dread Pirate Roberts to Inigo Montoya at the end of The Princess Bride. Hey, there's not a lot of money in the revenge business...

IceAlisa
08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Rhett's final line in Gone with the Wind. Love how Scarlett finally gets her head out of her ass, but he's too fed up.

:lol: Well put.

Not really a classic/genius ending, but I always loved that Westley offered the job of Dread Pirate Roberts to Inigo Montoya at the end of The Princess Bride. Hey, there's not a lot of money in the revenge business...

I love The Princess Bride but am shocked how few of the movies mentioned here I've actually seen. :eek:

Garden Kitty
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Loved the ending to Charade - not a big shocker type ending, but very in spirit with the movie.

Japanfan
08-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Just remembered 12 Monkeys - a very trippy and twisty movie with a provocative ending.

agalisgv
08-16-2010, 07:50 AM
While a rather mediocre movie generally, if you like endings with very unexpected twists, Shattered delivers on that score.