PDA

View Full Version : 2010/2011 Program Info Part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

DickButtonFan
09-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Ok nm 2006

orientalplane
09-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Tarasova's choreography of recent years doesn't seem to have any kind of point of view.

Could you explain exactly what you mean by choreography having a "point of view"? Thanks. :)

Sparks
09-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Could you explain exactly what you mean by choreography having a "point of view"? Thanks. :)
This is a good question and one I wondered about too.

gkelly
09-13-2010, 04:54 PM

I would guess that's more or less the same thing referred to by the phrases "underlying vision, "symbolic meaning," and "sense of purpose" in the Components with Explanations (
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-152086-169302-64121-0-file,00.pdf) criteria for Choreography.

Which are still pretty vague.

Or what we might refer to as the artistic purpose of a program if we were evaluating programs as works of art rather than vehicles to showcase athletic accomplishments.

Some rare competitive programs go beyond showcasing skills to actually having a unified artistic vision. Not required, but a reward for artistically inclined spectators (including judges) when present, transcending the athletic context.

Some coherence in the mood and relation between music and movement throughout the program, not just isolated interesting moments that don't really relate to each other. That might include maintaining a single emotion or creating an emotional journey that might or might not have more literal storytelling elements as well.

Of course if there is a coherent pattern that relates to the music in a way we don't agree with or that seems to contradict the way we understand this music, I think we'd have to say that there is a point of view, and we disagree with it.

dinakt
09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
whole post.

Beautifully said.

julieann
09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
I've noticed that some posters always criticize a particular skater or two they simply don't accept, regardless of season, program or their personal development.

I completely agree! And if someone they don't like wins there is always some sort of controversy/conspiracy. A coach paying off a judge or federation. I hope the winners aren’t bothered by all the crap that surrounds a win because of a few vocal naysayers.

Allen
09-13-2010, 05:50 PM
I think a majority of us talking about the program genuinely like Mao, I know I do. However, I think the program sucks, plain and simple. That's not a dig on Mao, it's just my opinion of the program she was given to skate.

jenny12
09-15-2010, 03:33 AM
I would guess that's more or less the same thing referred to by the phrases "underlying vision, "symbolic meaning," and "sense of purpose" in the Components with Explanations (
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-152086-169302-64121-0-file,00.pdf) criteria for Choreography.

Which are still pretty vague.

Or what we might refer to as the artistic purpose of a program if we were evaluating programs as works of art rather than vehicles to showcase athletic accomplishments.

Some rare competitive programs go beyond showcasing skills to actually having a unified artistic vision. Not required, but a reward for artistically inclined spectators (including judges) when present, transcending the athletic context.

Some coherence in the mood and relation between music and movement throughout the program, not just isolated interesting moments that don't really relate to each other. That might include maintaining a single emotion or creating an emotional journey that might or might not have more literal storytelling elements as well.

Of course if there is a coherent pattern that relates to the music in a way we don't agree with or that seems to contradict the way we understand this music, I think we'd have to say that there is a point of view, and we disagree with it.

Thanks gkelly. This is more of what I mean. Sorry, point of view was vague. I'm a big Mao fan so I don't mean my criticism to be criticism of Mao, but of the choreography. For me, the new tango program seems like just a collection of movement that has no relationship to each other, which is a problem I've had with a lot of Tarasova's recent choreography.

Jeschke
09-20-2010, 02:53 PM
So, Savchenko/Szolkowy revealed their new programs and plans for the future.
The SP will be a russian-hungarian folklore based music, the FS will be to Pink Panther.
There were no words about jumps and highlights of the program.

Savchenko said, that they want to win europeans and worlds and after that to decide, if they will go on until sotchi.
maybe they will take a break and come back 2014, but letīs see and wait.

la.louise
09-20-2010, 08:06 PM
The SP music of Savchenko/Szolkowy is Korobuschka

ryanbfan
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks you two. :) I love Savchenko/Szolkowy, their skating is wonderful and the Pink Panther music should be interesting for them!

Doggygirl
09-20-2010, 11:07 PM
the Pink Panther music should be interesting for them!

Yes! :cheer: Should also give her a great opportunity to rock some hot pants, which she does very well. :)

Thanks to all for the news along the thread. Lots to catch up on after a busy summer! Can't wait for the Sr. season to begin.

MR-FAN
09-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Savchenko said, that they want to win europeans and worlds and after that to decide, if they will go on until sotchi.

I thought they already revealed that they're committing to Sochi...

Dramahkween
09-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Montalbano/Krasnopolsky (ISR) new SP is to music from James Bond... LP is Nyah/When a Man Loves a Woman. I absolutely LOVE their costumes, especially Danielle's SP costume, though their LP costumes are stunning as well!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=151625648203812

Ziggy
09-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Postmodernism sucks

No, you do. :P