PDA

View Full Version : 2010/2011 Program Info Part 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

nashvilledancer
09-08-2010, 03:42 AM
Yup. At Last is in 6/8 (from what I can hear). Now, I'm no ballroom dancer, but musically I think 6/8 can be waltzed to, since it should be able to be counted in 3/4 time. I'm assuming that this is the portion of the SD that both Weaver/Poje and Kerr/Kerr will use for the Golden Waltz segment.

6/8 is a "fast waltz"--a Viennese waltz on the floor, so appropriate for Golden Waltz on the ice. It is different from the 1-2-3 of a slow ballroom waltz. It is counted a very fast 1-2-3, 4-5-6, each triplet of which can be taken as a single beat of 4/4 time. Which I guess is how "At Last" would fit rhythmically. The question remains, though, would the mood fit with the steps of the Golden Waltz?? I can imagine this looking very peculiar.

equatorial
09-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Oops, I've reconsidered my previous assessment. This is not the worst trivialization of great music. That honour goes to Zoueva's happy-and-happier FD to Mahler's Adagietto. My apologies to TAT. She isn't the worst, only second worst.

dinakt
09-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Oops, I've reconsidered my previous assessment. This is not the worst trivialization of great music. That honour goes to Zoueva's happy-and-happier FD to Mahler's Adagietto. My apologies to TAT. She isn't the worst, only second worst.

Alas, I have to agree with that statement. With a caveat- ..."from the people we have grown to expext a lot..."
And I love Mao, respect Tarasova, admire V/M and have nothing against Zoueva.
So far it is not an interesting program. Perhaps Mr. Sato will make it work.
I am at a loss why TAT comes up with such great EX numbers for Mao and such generic competitive programs. Mao's Ballade is gorgeous.

Autumn_girl
09-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Yuko Kawaguti/Alexander Smirnov (RUS)
SP: "Also Sprach Zarathustra" by Richard Strauss
Herbert von Karajan: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
FS: Soundtrack from "Twilight"
"Clair de Lune" composed by Claude Debussy, performed by The APM Orchestra

Asli
09-12-2010, 12:14 AM

This is the first time I see the performers being mentioned for classical music selected for figure skating programmes. Should we give a standing ovation because it is Karajan and the Berlin Philarmonic? ;)

Asli
09-12-2010, 12:36 AM
FD
Original Soundtrack of a franco-danish animation film L'Enfant Qui Voulait Etre Un Ours (The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Bear) by Bruno Coulais (wheeee, I luv Coulais)

Here is the Main theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfqNuD2i5To) of the movie.

Fantastic choice! :swoon:

DeathDrop
09-12-2010, 12:55 AM

It is easy to blame choreographers, and you appeared determined to do that. How about distributing some blame on skaters? It is about time to blame the farmer instead of blaming the farmland. If you are a lousy farmer, you are not going to reap much of crop regardless of how fertile the farmland is. The mark of great skaters sometimes come in turning a lousy choreography to something worthwhile to watch. Great skaters can make a dime look like a manhole cover.

Theatregirl1122
09-12-2010, 01:25 AM
[B]FS: Soundtrack from "Twilight"

And I already didn't like them.

loopey
09-12-2010, 01:31 AM

Who choreographed for them? Anyone know?

Asli
09-12-2010, 01:46 AM
This is the worst trivialization of great music I've ever witnessed. And I'm a fan of Mao. This tango is sinister, rotten and depraved, and she's doing a ridiculously "sensual" routine. Everything is wrong about this programme, the costume, the choreography, the mood. Who is responsible for this atrocity?

equatorial, I see what you mean, but IMO that much sophistication can only be expected from a dance team, not from the singles. For singles, the emphasis is not on the theme and interpretation. It is amazing enough if they can move gracefully to the music and hit the beat - which Mao does extremely well.

If this is Tarasova's choreography, she is probably familiar with Elem Klimov's movie "Agony" from which this tango was taken, but has deliberately chosen to use this music as a "standard" tango, complete with a red and black dress and the flower in the hair. This way it is more judge and audience-friendly. It does clash with the darkness and desperation in the music, but for a competitive singles program I still enjoy the combination of beautiful music and a beautiful skater.

This could make for a very strong free dance though. Schnittke has composed so much skatable music - haunting tangos and eerie waltzes. :swoon:

Pratfall
09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
:huh:Just to clarify what has been a bit of a puzzlement to me.. where does all this hate of Zueva's use of the Mahler Adagietto come from ? I have read nothing about what Mahler intended this music to express..As far as I know it was not like Tchaikovsky writing , say Swan Lake. Are people equating it with the movie " Death in Venice"?... because Mahler had nothing to do with that creation ( except providing inspiration ) , ..and certaily never wrote for the movies. So ? If there's some backstory to his composition, I'd like to know what it is. Seriously.

It's not like it's written as a requiem..

julieann
09-12-2010, 02:50 AM
Who choreographed for them? Anyone know?

SP - Igor Bobrin and Natalia Bestemianova
LP - Peter Tchernyshev

inthemiddle
09-12-2010, 03:14 AM
complete with a red and black dress and the flower in the hair. This way it is more judge and audience-friendly. :

The dress is from her old tango exhibition program. She will probably have a new dress.

loopey
09-12-2010, 03:51 AM
SP - Igor Bobrin and Natalia Bestemianova
LP - Peter Tchernyshev
:cheer2:
I didn't realize he choreographed for pairs. Good for him, can't wait to see it.

dinakt
09-12-2010, 04:19 AM
:huh:Just to clarify what has been a bit of a puzzlement to me.. where does all this hate of Zueva's use of the Mahler Adagietto come from ? I have read nothing about what Mahler intended this music to express..As far as I know it was not like Tchaikovsky writing , say Swan Lake. Are people equating it with the movie " Death in Venice"?... because Mahler had nothing to do with that creation ( except providing inspiration ) , ..and certaily never wrote for the movies. So ? If there's some backstory to his composition, I'd like to know what it is. Seriously.

It's not like it's written as a requiem..

HI! I am not equatorial, but I'll answer, because I agreed with equatorial's statement.
The issue, as you probably know, has been discussed ad nauseum... but as I myself do not seem to be able to let it go, here it is again.
The Nature of Adagietto is constantly debated even among musicians, so " Death in Venice" is only one little piece of the puzzle.
Adagietto has long been perceived as a philosophical piece of great beauty. It has been performed at Koussevitsky's funeral, Robert Kennedy's funeral, In Memoriam of Bernstein; Gordeeva performed to it in a Tribute to Sergei. The whole Symphony starts as a Funeral march, Mahler was known for his deeply morbid, death- obsessed disposition ( he survived deaths of many siblings as a child and a teenager, and was deeply affected by them), and in the summer of writing the Adagietto he almost bled to death. Death seemed never far from his mind.
Recently there has been a movement to claim the piece back from the dead to the living. There is a testimony ( much contested), that Mahler's wife Alma said Adagietto was written as a love song to her and profession of love. It seems definite, that Mahler gifted Alma with Adagietto, and the year of writing ( 1901) was the year he met and fell in love with Alma.
Up to now, it is all a matter of opinion and personal preference.
What, to me, is hard to stomach, is V/M not using the original orchestration, but some arrangement with tinkly piano, which makes the piece sound not only happier, but more ordinary. It also bothers me that they took a very complex music- whether it is about love or death, and made it all in one tone- happy and happy. Part of the problem is that Mahler is deeply revered by musicians, and is something of a " cult composer". Tinkering with him is bound to bring up lots of emotion. A person, familiar with Mahler's life, also remembers that at the time of writing Adagietto he was 41 and not a spring chicken, could not have been sure of Alma's acceptance as she was involved with somebody else at the time etc etc...
V/M were gorgeous doing it, I will never object. But as you see, I am not at peace:)))
So, I went completely off- topic, and I apologize, please move it if need be.