PDA

View Full Version : Facebook - how can we stop this privacy invasion?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

skatesindreams
08-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Every technical advance has had its' advantages, and disadvantages, for consumers.
I'm very careful about what I post, everywhere!
Yet, on occasion, problems still occur.

Still, would I return to a pre-Internet world?
No!

rjblue
08-15-2010, 10:01 PM
A couple of days ago I was listening to a coversation on the radio where they were talking about how Facebook makes its money, and it made me think how upset people were when they realised that Facebook was going to use their profile information for the purposes of customising the ads that you see. People were really up in arms about the idea at the time.

But in actuality it is a really good thing for both the user and the advertiser. I never have to see random ads about male potentcy, or dating sites, etc, because I'm not in the target demographic. And a small business in my province can use Facebook to advertise, and it'll reach the majority of young women/men in my province and no one else. It is a much more effective way to advertise on the internet than buying google ads.

Prancer
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't care if people can see my name and profile picture. Isn't that part of what Facebook is for, so people who know you can find you? Who else is going to be looking?

I am not thrilled that people might be able to see my photos, but again--what will happen if they do? If people know me, well, what difference does it make? And if they don't, why would they care? I will say that I never tag anyone and I have asked people to not tag me because I have found that that's a way into photo albums. But otherwise......?

Yeah, there are stalkers, but strangers aren't really the problem there--it's people you already know who are most likely to harm you and they don't really need Facebook to do it.

I get not liking the exposure; I understand not liking the fact that your security settings really aren't. But I really don't understand what everyone is so afraid of.

Erica Lee
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I use facebook to advertise and its targeting options are great.

I'm able to advertise to people in certain cities only, to friends of people who have joined "xyz" fan page, to people in a certain demographic range, to people who have listed "xyz" as an interest, etc, etc. And I pay less as an advertiser to do that than to throw the net out too wide.. plus I get better results.

I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there. I share a lot of things online and I'm not afraid to do so - I have nothing to hide from anyone. I do like to be aware of what's out there, though.

One thing on facebook that has had me raising an eyebrow recently is its "suggested pages". It is suggesting pages for me based on interests that I *deleted* from my page many months ago (when they made all interests linked and public). It's obvious from the suggestions that even though I deleted the info, facebook has still retained it. Just makes one even more aware of what one posts - have to have the mentality that everything is public, even the things you thought you got rid of by deletion!

Prancer
08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there.

If I post pictures of people, I just tell them "Hey, there's some pictures of you in this album on my page" and they do the same for me.

Works as well as tagging, IMO, and then it's just 'tween us.

Meredith
08-16-2010, 12:00 AM
One thing on facebook that has had me raising an eyebrow recently is its "suggested pages". It is suggesting pages for me based on interests that I *deleted* from my page many months ago (when they made all interests linked and public). It's obvious from the suggestions that even though I deleted the info, facebook has still retained it. Just makes one even more aware of what one posts - have to have the mentality that everything is public, even the things you thought you got rid of by deletion!

I'm not that anxious about someone knowing my interests, hobbies, etc., (long ago deleted) and never posted anything that could/would identify others - never uploaded photos of humans for instance - but I found Facebook's suggestions somewhat disconcerting, too.

Really don't miss the potency ads, though. :)

numbers123
08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
How can you stop the privacy invasion? Delete every photo off your account, and then delete your account forever. It's the only way.

Nope. not deleted. Someone can ask the court for them as evidence. Nope, not deleted.

I ask people before I post any pictures. AFAIK, no one has posted pictures of me without my consent. I choose my friends carefully. And use the youropenbook.org to see if I can be found easily. I assume that if persistent and someone has a working knowledge of how it can be set up they can find you.

Morale - don't post what you don't think is grandparent safe. And certainly don't post about your sex life like some people do

Lothlorien
08-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not that anxious about someone knowing my interests, hobbies, etc., (long ago deleted) and never posted anything that could/would identify others - never uploaded photos of humans for instance - but I found Facebook's suggestions somewhat disconcerting, too.

Do not be so certain.

I used to have a very random list of activities/hobbies - things that would only make sense to a number of people who knew me on a very personal level. Silly stuff. Jumping up and down, for example.

A few months ago, Facebook made this change where all your interests had to be linked to 'fan pages'. These allow the user to find other people who are into the same things. I removed all my hobbies immediately. But just yesterday, what popped up in the "Recommended Pages" area? Jumping up and down did, and some other (very random and very me-specific) phrases I used to have on my profile also did.

So... you might have removed the info... but it's still there. In other words, Facebook still has it.

Meredith
08-16-2010, 12:34 PM
So... you might have removed the info... but it's still there. In other words, Facebook still has it.

I know Facebook still has the information. Clicking on my Accounts information the other day, I saw a suggestion recommending I reinstate all the information I had deleted - in my own words. I was not pleased.

Nevertheless, my first post was to point out that even though I had deleted information (hobbies, etc.) I had never posted photos of others or myself, or any personal information which would prove embarrassing to anyone else to to begin with.

LadyGray
08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
FYI: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/12/technology/personaltech/12basics.html?_r=1

Evilynn
08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I like it when people tag me better than when people don't - at least that way I know it's there. I share a lot of things online and I'm not afraid to do so - I have nothing to hide from anyone. I do like to be aware of what's out there, though.

Me too. l occasionally perform and those pictures can end up all over the place, so it's good to see what's out there if one of my fellow performers find any photos and tag me.

I'm pretty sure their EULA used to state they basically keep everything for all time. There are some sites that tells you how to delete your accounts completely, but it'd still be there in their backups and at least in the EU sites *have* to keep info for 3 months or so in case there is a police investigation. And I'm willing to bet they delete the bare minimum, they make their living out of the information they gather, after all.

I hate most of the targeted ads. I'm not in need of either diets or diapers, and it seems that's all my demographic ever gets. :P I suspect I'd be more interested in the ads targeted at males my age.

Polymer Bob
08-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't have Facebook, but I've heard a lot of bad things about it. Maybe I will wait until they get their act together.

*Jen*
08-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Nope. not deleted. Someone can ask the court for them as evidence. Nope, not deleted.

Yes, but there is a huge difference between some content being requested by a court and having a searchable profile on facebook, if you see what I mean :)

Morale - don't post what you don't think is grandparent safe. And certainly don't post about your sex life like some people do

Hmm. The sex life advice goes without saying, but my Grandfather has a totally different idea about what's appropriate...he'd think naked pictures would be funny. So being grandparent safe might depend on the grandparent!

numbers123
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, but there is a huge difference between some content being requested by a court and having a searchable profile on facebook, if you see what I mean :)

Yes, I see what you mean. I was just addessing the I deleted it so it is gone statement. ;)

*Jen*
08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Yes, I see what you mean. I was just addessing the I deleted it so it is gone statement. ;)

No, it's never gone, but if someone decides to delete their account it's better to delete everything off it first, or at least I read that somewhere.

Nothing is ever gone from a mobile phone either. Even when you can't see the contact or sms anymore, a technician could get it back if they wanted to.