PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na Kim's "All That Skate LA" Oct. 2-3 at Staples Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45]

lakewood
10-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Here are the weekend overnights from Sports Media Watch (scroll to the bottom table under "Other")

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/10/weekend-overnights.html

So ATS did a 0.5, which is actually lower than what some of the Disson shows have gotten in the past.

How is the Disson show telecast while SOI is not? Is Disson show better than SOI? I'm curious.

Sparks
10-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Disson shows are smaller productions, usually with a theme. IE : Brian Boitano's Christmas show, Kristi Yamaguchi and Freinds, Improv on Ice, or some skaters skating to the works of a particular musical artist. They have an exclusive contract with NBC. These programs are usually shown around the holiday season, when more people (families) are inclined to watch.
SOI has been shown in the past...recently, not so much.

Octoberopals
10-15-2010, 04:59 AM
It was absolutely GREAT to get to see the skaters all the time & not have to share them with a singer or a band. I like thie concept for a show.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, but I could have done without that horrible Korean singer butchering "Dream On".

amaro
10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Yeah, but I could have done without that horrible Korean singer butchering "Dream On".

yak, yak, yak. :rolleyes:

lowtherlore
10-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I hope Yu-Na, Michelle and Wilson bring ATS to Pyeongyang, North Korea, someday. It would be a significant event for all parties involved.

North Korea’s leader, Chairman Kim, has been known as a fan of gymnastics and figure skating. And they have been investing in figure skating, more so than South Korea has so far. They even hold an annual international competition and IIRC they invited Yagudin along with other skaters from China and the old Soviet block countries to skate in the event last season. They had a berth for each of men’s and women’s singles’ events in Turin Olympics when South Korea had none, and they even had a pairs team competing internationally. I mean, figure skating is not an unknown sport to them.

I read somewhere that Michelle, who is a goodwill ambassador for the US Dept of State, is greatly interested in US-Korea relationship and North Korean politics is one of the main themes of her graduate studies. And North Korea has been seeking improvements in its relationship with the US. If ATS in Pyeongyang become reality, it would be great if Michelle could bring some of the top US skaters with her, together with the usual invitees from China and Russian federations to the event.

In 2008, NY Philharmonic had its beautiful rendition of Arirang performed in Pyeongyang. Yu-Na’s new free program is to the tune of the same music and it would be awesome to watch Yu-Na perform it in front of the North Korean audience.

YouTube link to the NY Phil’s Arirang in Pyeongyang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpnS4s54hI

crzesk8dad
10-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I hope Yu-Na, Michelle and Wilson bring ATS to Pyeongyang, North Korea, someday. It would be a significant event for all parties involved.

North Korea’s leader, Chairman Kim, has been known as a fan of gymnastics and figure skating. And they have been investing in figure skating, more so than South Korea has so far. They even hold an annual international competition and IIRC they invited Yagudin along with other skaters from China and the old Soviet block countries to skate in the event last season. They had a berth for each of men’s and women’s singles’ events in Turin Olympics when South Korea had none, and they even had a pairs team competing internationally. I mean, figure skating is not an unknown sport to them.

I read somewhere that Michelle, who is a goodwill ambassador for the US Dept of State, is greatly interested in US-Korea relationship and North Korean politics is one of the main themes of her graduate studies. And North Korea has been seeking improvements in its relationship with the US. If ATS in Pyeongyang become reality, it would be great if Michelle could bring some of the top US skaters with her, together with the usual invitees from China and Russian federations to the event.

In 2008, NY Philharmonic had its beautiful rendition of Arirang performed in Pyeongyang. Yu-Na’s new free program is to the tune of the same music and it would be awesome to watch Yu-Na perform it in front of the North Korean audience.

YouTube link to the NY Phil’s Arirang in Pyeongyang:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpnS4s54hI

Sorry, but until that nut-case of a dictator in PRK (People's Republic of Korea) is gone, and the "war" is officially over in the Koreas, Yu-Na (and Michelle, for that matter) need to stay away from there. In today's crazy world, she would be taking too much of a risk. As we all know, Figure Skating is at rock-star status in Asia, Kim Jong-Il is just the kind of whack-job that would take her and hold her under "house arrest", for no other reason than publicity and "sabre rattling". :lynch:

Say what you want, on either side, about the politics, that's not the issue...the skater's welfare should be paramount and the PRK doesn't have a good record in that area.

Just my 2 cents worth...keep the change.

lakewood
10-18-2010, 02:33 AM

I once imagined the same thing. Not an impossible scenario.
Considering that Dear Leader is a skating fan, I'm sure he really wants to see both YuNa and Michelle.

About five years ago, South Korea's most prominent singer (YongPil Cho) had a concert in PyeongYang. It was sponsored by a Korean TV station KBS and was broadcasted in South Korea. Ice show can be done similarly.

Figga
10-18-2010, 05:08 AM
I also think it's really a bad idea, for reasons I won't go into here. And I really don't mean to attack you lakewood, but why refer to KJI as the Dear Leader? You do not have a North Korean bayonet against your chest, no need for such a ridiculous affectation.

lowtherlore
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Loosen up guys. :D

If such an event is to happen, each side’s agenda, procedures, venue and protocol must be ironed out in advance. Given that, the safety of the participants should not be a real concern. I cannot think of a single instance in modern history with mass media that a pre-negotiated and publicized civilian envoy ended up being held a hostage/detainee by the host. True, their “Dear Leader” ;) is a dictator right, but he’s not a loony. There could be some who might still be spooked and choose not to go, but to each his own I guess.

North Korea and its leaders have consistently signaled their intention and desire to open up its contacts with Western countries, provided the security of their political party and its leadership is guaranteed in some form. Most recently, it was a British women’s soccer club visiting North Korea for friendlies. Why not a figure skating event someday when the circumstances ripen for each side, especially when one side has long wanted to improve the terms with the other?

lakewood
10-18-2010, 09:51 AM
I also think it's really a bad idea, for reasons I won't go into here. And I really don't mean to attack you lakewood, but why refer to KJI as the Dear Leader? You do not have a North Korean bayonet against your chest, no need for such a ridiculous affectation.

Don't overreact. This whole idea is nothing political.

abiell
11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
HD stream of Lambiel making a clean Wilhelm Tell with an awesome quad at the second day show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOqQyTt8mrg

WoW~~

Panther2000
11-15-2010, 02:15 AM
It was great to see this kind of show once again. It was also great to see MK back on the ice.

She looks great, & hasn't lost any of her depth when it comes to her skating.

I got all teared up after her Winter Song program & the man yelled out WE LOVE YOU. Talk about hitting the BULLEYES on that one.

Looking at some of the clips of her in interviews. She says that she is still on the Ice 6 days a week & keeping up with her Triple jumps. I think that is great ( Eventhough she no longer competes).

I have been away from skating for a few years now( past olympics not included) but, has Michelle ever OFFICIALLY announced that she has retired. I could have missed it but,never hear anything about her retireing. The Last thing I remember is her having to pull out of the 2006 Games due to injury. I do know that she did go back to college & is an embassador in sports.

I am glad to see that she hasn't gone the usual route of trying to become an actress or model, or something in that Ilk but something of substance. I can't believe that she is 30 years old now. I remember when she was the Baby of the skaing competeing on the senior level.

Props to everyone for the Links to the show. I missed it on TV( being that it was hard to find skaing on Reguarl TV for a bit. That was until Universal came along.