PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na Kim's "All That Skate LA" Oct. 2-3 at Staples Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45

oleada
10-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Stephane had the best program bar none, IMO! (yeah, better than Yu-Na, Kwan, etc for me) He's the one I'm still thinking and raving about. Patrick has nice edges and jumps, but nowhere near Lambiel's showmanship. Stephane's program is one of the best exhibitions I've seen in ages.

query5
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
let see 1 hour 1/2 show, we saw 11 numbers--the opening, closing, the girl's she so lovely, the boy's number, michelle and yu-na hero number, 1 each of patrick chan, stephane lambiel, belbin & agosto, virture and moir, zhen & zhou, johnny weir, german pair team and 2 of michelles and yu-na number which make it 11. we also saw the singer who was from korea.
we didn't see 9 numbers 2 of ashley's, 1 from- patrick chan, johnny weir, stephane lambiel, zhen & zhou, viture and moir, belbin & agosto, german pair team.
usually i see on IMG and Disson skating shows for 2 hours, opening number, closing number in credits, and 1 of each of the skaters the important one,
which usually amounted to 6 skaters. so because of commmercials for 2 hour show we only saw 8 numbers maybe 9 if we got lucky.
wonder why the difference.

stephane skated for the audience to make you forget he can't do his spins and jumps like he used. but like everyone saying because he does skate for the audience and makes you want to get on the ice you don't care he doesn't skate like he use to. HE skates for you the fan-not himself.
michelles skates for the fan, but because stephane been skating on tours and shows constantly it show up better.

i wonder why img and disson skating shows can't show most of their numbers on tv or didn't previously , we usually saw less than half of their numbers.

skatingfan5
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Gosh, for someone who "can't do his spins and jumps like he used to" Stephane certainly fooled me and everyone last Sunday afternoon -- his spins were blazing fast and he hit all his jumps -- including a beautiful quad right in front of where I was sitting. Since he "can't do them" anymore, I he must have successfully taken up magic or mass hypnotism. :lol:

query5
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM
yes he seems to be doing well,
however when he was younger-his spins was faster and lower , and his jumps a bit higher and cleaner and spun his jumps fasters which is what i meant by not as well.
yes he is doing okay-but he actually did better when he was a few years younger or earlier years.

Satellitegirl
10-11-2010, 06:44 PM
no offense query, but that's really nitpicking :)

There's a lot of things everyone did better when they were younger lol.

Skate Talker
10-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Watched the broadcast mostly unspoiled. Certainly more enjoyable than most TV galas.

I used to love watching pro skating because the skaters were able to be more expressive when they weren't having to worry about doing all the required elements and not doing any illegal moves that add to the interpretation.

Now it seems to me that most of the skaters that I like the best in the competitive arena have the least interesting exhibition numbers. Prime example being Virtue and Moir whom I just love to watch compete with their incredible edges and to me well interpreted music. I have to agree with others here though that they are pretty boring in these shows. I am always hopeful but frequently disappointed. Perhaps it is simply a matter of 99% focus on their competitive career? Strangely though I find Tessa stands out for me in many of the group numbers - there she seems able to really let it loose and not be so stiff looking.

Or perhaps I just like the competitive numbers more now that they are including more interesting features for their CoP points and aren't just mostly unvarnished elements?

And here are my unsolicited and most-likely-unwanted comments on the Queen debate - personally I have always found Kwan's skating pretty un-animated. I do not think she is a born performer. I do not think she ever reaches out to the audience. To me she seems to be skating only for herself and her own pure enjoyment of the movement. She has beautiful strong edges and flows along the ice like few others. I am not saying Michelle is not a great skater, just that she doesn't touch me the way other skaters have. (I know, who cares). Yu-Na, on the other hand - hmm how do I say it - she is young and has yet to completely develop her stage presence but I do feel that she is trying to include the audience and succeeds some of the time - most notably for me in part of her Bond SP last season, but again I enjoy her competitive numbers more than her exhibitions.

So off the top of my pointy little head, the only skaters I can think of right now who's exhibitions are more interesting than their competitive numbers are Mao Asada and Tomas Verner. Actually in their cases I don't find their competitive numbers interesting at all but really enjoy their exhibitions.

So - back to the show. Thank you NBC for airing this one. Still one of the better ones we get to see.

Florizel
10-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the links, enjoyed them. Also enjoy reading your comments and opinions. I recently developed a taste for watching figure skating so until i know what i'm talking about i won't be talking very much.

(just started off putting this in the wrong place. Got a lot to learn apparently :-) )

oleada
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Welcome, Florizel :) Glad you enjoyed the show

iarispiralllyof
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen many of stephane's older programs. so I'm kind of shocked you'd call his spins slower..I mean they varied but at certain parts his spins were insane...like faster than I'd ever seen anyone else do..anymore and there'd be brain damage. any link to what are supposed to be his spins at their peak?

portia
10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Sheesh, from Michelle the obese chunkster to Stephane the washed-up hack who tricks audiences, it just reinforces the reputation of us skating fans as being hypercritical. :rolleyes:

kwanette
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't expect Patrick to be the showman that Stephane is (Stephane is a bit older than PC), but I could watch Patrick's feet all day.I like them both...and I thought that Patrick did well among the seasoned group.

shine
10-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Chan is undoubtedly a superb skater with some rare qualities. I love watching him too. But when Stéphane gets on the ice he just takes performance to another level. His commitment to the choreography, the musicality, the joy and charisma, the dancing....he is just electrifying.

portia
10-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Chan is undoubtedly a superb skater with some rare qualities. I love watching him too. But when Stéphane gets on the ice he just takes performance to another level. His commitment to the choreography, the musicality, the joy and charisma, the dancing....he is just electrifying.

I was at both shows. The fact is that he draws people into his performances, both knowledgeable fans and casual audience members were on their feet applauding him at the end. That kind of charisma is very unique amongst performers, let alone figure skaters. I have a feeling Lambiel would've made a great professional dancer had he gone into that realm instead.

Funny sidebar, on Sunday's show I sat a few seats front from a college-age couple, it looked like the girlfriend dragged her man to the show because he didn't seem particularly enthused being there. Then after Lambiel's WT, I heard very loud whistles/ cheers in my immediate back. I turned around to see the couple, including the previously bored boyfriend, standing up cheering like maniacs. I quickly glanced at him but I think I embarrassed him by making him think oh crap I just stomped my feet for a skating dude. :lol:

Fozzie Bear
10-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Lol, portia, you should have said, "Welcome to the dark side." :EVILLE:

REO
10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Lol That would have been hysterical.
In another thread they spoke of the It factor. Lambiel has It. And it may be because he's as cute as a button which may be seen as an unfair advantage but the truth is the truth. Just standing still he's a very hot guy with a mega watt smile.