PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na Kim's "All That Skate LA" Oct. 2-3 at Staples Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

sk9tingfan
09-09-2010, 04:56 PM
The amount of effort that Michelle is putting into her MPA must be considerable and would necessitate her being at Tufts pretty continuously without a lot of breaks. As a second year student, I also would think (without specifically checking out the Tufts program requirements for graduating) that she will have to fulfill/complete a thesis and/or comprehensive exam in order to graduate. This places additional efforts and expectations on the student beyond her normal coursework. Even though I did my graduate work in the dark ages :D, I remember the workload was considerable.

And the fact that she is doing so on the East coast 6 hours away, I think precludes her from any active and continuous coaching role. IMO, I think that any realistic role that she might have would be of a mentoring nature.

skatingfan5
09-09-2010, 05:09 PM
The amount of effort that Michelle is putting into her MPA must be considerable and would necessitate her being at Tufts pretty continuously without a lot of breaks. As a second year student, I also would think (without specifically checking out the Tufts program requirements for graduating) that she will have to fulfill/complete a thesis and/or comprehensive exam in order to graduate. This places additional efforts and expectations on the student beyond her normal coursework. Yes, she will have to complete a thesis for her degree; here are the requirements for the MALD (http://fletcher.tufts.edu/mald/curriculum.shtml) (Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy) at Tufts.

sk9tingfan
09-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes, she will have to complete a thesis for her degree; here are the requirements for the MALD (http://fletcher.tufts.edu/mald/curriculum.shtml) (Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy) at Tufts.

Thanks for looking; I'm supposed to be working right now:P It's really interesting that that have actually posted the theses publicly, which puts additional pressure on those students.

Anita18
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for looking; I'm supposed to be working right now:P It's really interesting that that have actually posted the theses publicly, which puts additional pressure on those students.
It's not all that uncommon. I've seen theses put online for lots of university departments.

museksk8r
09-09-2010, 05:25 PM
:confused: I think that any "news" of Michelle coaching YuNa or anyone is really very strange -- and must either be wishful thinking on someone's part -- or else due to some sort of miscommunication or translation problem. (Or someone was puffing on some unholy "smokes". :lol:) Michelle has not given any indication whatsoever that she has a desire to pursue coaching in the near future -- in fact, quite the contrary.

I agree! :lol: I don't believe this for a second.

euneri
09-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Is it true that NBC is gonna be broadcasting this show?

skatingfan5
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Is it true that NBC is gonna be broadcasting this show?Yes (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74961), on October 10.

kittyjake5
09-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Will Wilson be directing "All that Skate LA"?

skatesindreams
09-09-2010, 11:16 PM
The amount of effort that Michelle is putting into her MPA must be considerable and would necessitate her being at Tufts pretty continuously without a lot of breaks. As a second year student, I also would think (without specifically checking out the Tufts program requirements for graduating) that she will have to fulfill/complete a thesis and/or comprehensive exam in order to graduate. This places additional efforts and expectations on the student beyond her normal coursework. Even though I did my graduate work in the dark ages :D, I remember the workload was considerable.

And the fact that she is doing so on the East coast 6 hours away, I think precludes her from any active and continuous coaching role. IMO, I think that any realistic role that she might have would be of a mentor.

I'm sure that Michelle is no less conscientious in her academic/professional life than she was as a skater. I believe that she would be an excellent mentor/consultant to Yu-Na, if she were asked to do so.

RunnersHigh
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Will Wilson be directing "All that Skate LA"?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sk8mixcom/157004597102?ref=ts#!/posted.php?id=157004597102&share_id=148461338520155&comments=1#s148461338520155

Concept & Choreography by David Wilson
Musical Design by Hugo Chouinard

kittyjake5
09-10-2010, 03:40 AM
^^Thanks.

query5
09-10-2010, 04:46 PM
i like you won't pay 80 for a ticket too--pricey-
if you can't afford yes it it.
however lets see might pay $80 for tennis shoes, goes to baseball game,
football game,college game. or just cable, phone bill.

pay $150 for tv, cable/dish, phone a month.
might pay $80 for a dress, blouse, pants, blue jeans,
what i am saying is if you want it bad enough the $80 or even 150 in todays climate it isn't that much.
figure skating has gotten use to bottom line prices and went , whereas if you went to football, hockey, other sports you had to pay just as much if not more for your luxury items. to me luxury is something you want to see and or do but you don't have to.
yes the prices are a bit more than normal , but that to me is because some fans are children who can't afford the prices and has to rely on allowance, parents, but other are parents who got use to low prices and wants them to stay that way if they can afford more.
i realize not all can, i am one, but i don't complain about prices i just go or don't go. or i try to save up if i can.
saying prices is too high for show means you can't afford or never really wanted to go or you are cheap

query5
09-10-2010, 08:30 PM
yes , nbc is showing it.
i called my local Nbc station because sometimes they don't show figure skating shows at dates and times that are stated on Nbc .
the local affliliates can show it at their convenience, which is best suited to them and their marked.
I called Cincinnati nbc station, was told that as of now, the tentative date and time is
October 10th, the start time is 2:30p.m.

REO
09-10-2010, 11:18 PM
It sounds like such a cool show. Alot of people (me) would pay $80 just to see Michelle skate again no less Yu Na and the other great skaters who are in it. I'm so glad NBC is going to show it.

amaro
09-10-2010, 11:48 PM
Neither SBS nor NBC will air the show in its entirety for sure. Besides, seeing it live at the arena is always the best way to watch an ice show, no matter how far and up the seat is from the rink. For me, considering the cast and their previous production, $42 a pop is a bargain.