PDA

View Full Version : Yu-Na Kim's "All That Skate LA" Oct. 2-3 at Staples Center

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RunnersHigh
09-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Did Michelle invite yuna to the rink?

Nope, nothing to do with Michelle according to the ATS. ;)

leon
09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Nope, nothing to do with Michelle according to the ATS. ;)
East West will be a great transition for Yu-Na. I think a plus for Yu-Na is that she knows Naomi Nari Nam who became quite famous in Korea after winning her silver medal at the 1999 US Nationals. Naomi is an instructor at East West and is fluent in Korean. Naomi Nari Nam (http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1682/11410644/23414469/391574561.jpg)

RunnersHigh
09-06-2010, 11:49 AM
East West will be a great transition for Yu-Na. I think a plus for Yu-Na is that she knows Naomi Nari Nam who became quite famous in Korea after winning her silver medal at the 1999 US Nationals. Naomi is an instructor at East West and is fluent in Korean. Naomi Nari Nam (http://pic60.picturetrail.com/VOL1682/11410644/23414469/391574561.jpg)

Yes, the idea hit me at the same moment I read the article and I also found her in the list of Staff Coaches (http://www.eastwesticepalace.com/figure/staff-coaches.html) at the club!! NNN was the first figure skating celebrity in Korean history. About a decade ago, she was an advertising character of my ex-company (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLu7l0Bhjk8) even though I didn't know her and FS at all. Additionally, Yu-Na had an ice show with NNN together on Sept. 2006 in Korea. Thank you! ;)

RD
09-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Not surprising. I wonder what she plans to do there, though.

ProgramerUSFS
09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Not surprising. I wonder what she plans to do there, though.
Well lets see, this should be fun, give the contacts I have in the skating world. At least it will open up some more discussion.

1. Michelle's income has been decreasing over the years, this provides spotlight and access to shows and advertizing deals for Michelle.
2. She agrees to skate with Yu Na in Korea where she too is popular, and can make money.
3. Park, has encouraged skaters to be coaches for her daughter before, a second attempt is logical.
4. Park now has a coach in Michelle, that gives her access to North American sponsers using Michelle and Yu Na, which provides money to both, and fixes the issues in Korea with the split Yu Na had.
5. Michelle has been thinking about what the second half of her life should be, and coaching is the deal she has decided might be good for her.
6. Park now has a coach, with no other skaters, except Yu Na and Kwak, a private rink, and a great Korean interpreter who is already at the rink.
7. Michelle and Yu Na can travel to shows and worlds together etc...
8. Deal was in the works for some time, and Michelle is the only coach that would be acceptable to the Korean people as a replacement.

Bat that around......

kwanfan1818
09-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I think Kwan will be Kim's "Artistic Advisor". I hope leon is right about NNN, if she wants/is willing to trade off with that kind of scrutiny.

ProgramerUSFS, I can't imagine Kwan would toss the schooling and the non-skating to go back to the rink, although the upside, is that there would be lots of media focus on Kwan that would take the pressure off Kim.

Visaliakid
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Lots of good points in the above from ProgramerUSFS. I would add however that Michelle has one year of studies remaining at Tuffs University to obtain her Masters Degree.

I think the fact that Naomi Nari-Nam (whom Kim knows) is an instructor at East-West Ice Palace would be the logical choice to be her coach, at least on a temporary basis. Nam speaks fluent Korean so there would be no communication problem.

portia
09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I thought Michelle was aiming for a career in diplomacy? She'll have no problem obtaining a high profile position with any administration, regardless of political parties.

JerseySlore
09-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Lots of good points in the above from ProgramerUSFS. I would add however that Michelle has one year of studies remaining at Tuffs University to obtain her Masters Degree.

I think the fact that Naomi Nari-Nam (whom Kim knows) is an instructor at East-West Ice Palace would be the logical choice to be her coach, at least on a temporary basis. Nam speaks fluent Korean so there would be no communication problem.

This is news to me. The last time she visited Korea back in 2006, all of her interviews AFAIK were conducted in English. Maybe she took Korean in college?

crzesk8dad
09-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Let's not forget that Naomi works with Peter Oppegard, who had an excellent weekend at Golden West. Additionally, there is a very talented staff including Karen Kwan-Oppegard, Alex Chang, Yuriy Kocherzhenko, Jere Michael, Peter Kongkasem and Derrick Delmore. East-West IP is the premier skating training center in the Los Angeles area, terrific ice, well maintained facility, beautiful work-out gym upstairs.

Lastly, it is only a 20 to 60 minute drive for the following coaches: Frank Carroll, John Nicks, Ken Congemi, Rafael Arutunian, Tammy Gambill...lots of coaching talent in the area.

Additional item: East West Ice Palace is located in Artesia, CA. Artesia and it's neighboring city, Cerritos, have a deep Asian community, including many, many Koreans. The local food, shopping, etc is oriented to Asians. (And it's a great place to get some great food!). Yu-Na and her family (assuming they are coming, as well), will be very comfortable in the area, while still being easily accessible to other areas of SoCal, and only minutes from LAX.

A very logicial choice, if only for the time being.

leon
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Maybe she could work with Brian Boitano . . . .

AJ Skatefan
09-06-2010, 10:26 PM

She'd have one heck of a commute. Doesn't Brian Boitano live in the Bay Area?

Doubletoe
09-06-2010, 10:38 PM
See? Just like I said, she's following Michelle's lead and dumping her coach for Danny Kwan! ;) Seriously, though, I'm presuming this is just a temporary training spot for her while she prepares for her ice show. The only coach in this area I could see her switching to would be Frank Carroll, who is reportedly moving to Palm Springs as soon as that rink is open. Training with Yuna would certainly light a fire under Mirai's butt!

amaro
09-07-2010, 12:08 AM

It would be just too much drama to handle. :)

lakewood
09-07-2010, 01:36 AM
This is news to me. The last time she visited Korea back in 2006, all of her interviews AFAIK were conducted in English. Maybe she took Korean in college?

Probably, she has no problem of listening but is not fluent in speaking.