PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Aug 11/12 The Finale

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Rob
08-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Until Alex did the hip hop, I wasn't at all sure he'd be the winner. I thought Kent could beat him on the tween vote. Then he did the hip hop and the tweens went mad. After Alex left, Lauren became my favorite over the whole season for her combination of versatility, personality, and technique. It would have been Billy but for the fact that he did not excel in everything (and they gave him some crap early on). But my favorite dances are Alex/Twitch and Billy/Ade. And Allison is still my favorite girl overall, with Kathryn a close second.

professordeb
08-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I was surprisingly happy when Lauren won. Kent's overhype did him in. He certainly didn't bring his best on Wednesday. He looked kind of shocked when Cat said, "Lauren," and he sort of disappeared from the shot quickly.
<snip>

I too noticed Kent moved quickly out of the way but I saw that as him giving up the area and spotlight to the winner Lauren.

pixie cut
08-13-2010, 06:00 PM
On a totally separate note, I really enjoyed when Russell said, "I'm ready for tour!" I thought, I bet you are. You've been waiting for eight months. Instead of a couple of the all stars, all of who got to tour after their seasons, it would have been nice to ask Ellinore and Jakob from season six. Kathryn is doing the tour as an all star and Russell as season six champion. Ashleigh and Ryan are on tour with Burn the Floor. Someone posted that Jakob is working with a company, but perhaps he's available this fall. He and Ellinore really should have been asked.

skatingfan5
08-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I found it interesting that Nigel admitted that Alex was the designated winner (and then it became Kent)...but you know what, we don't know that Alex would have won. I mean, I'm assuming he would have too, but Danny didn't win his season, and I think he is still the greatest dancer ever on the show (although Alex may have changed my mind had he been there the whole season).I totally missed Nigel's admissions about a "designated winner" -- guess my fan running on high drowned that out -- or more likely, I just have been tuning out most of the judges' comments. :lol: Anyway, Danny may have had the great technique, but he was unfairly saddled with the "arrogant" label early on, while Alex's personality was almost as strong a plus as his dance technique.

It feels like Lauren will be known as the SYTYCD7 winner* - with the note that Alex wasn't there, and I think that's crap.It doesn't feel that way to me, but perhaps those who threw in the towel :drama: when Alex was injured think so.
Until Alex did the hip hop, I wasn't at all sure he'd be the winner. I thought Kent could beat him on the tween vote. Then he did the hip hop and the tweens went mad. Now Kent beating Alex, that would have been "tragic". :drama: ;)
After Alex left, Lauren became my favorite over the whole season for her combination of versatility, personality, and technique. Same for me, and I guess I'm also happy that there is another girl who has won this.

Rob
08-13-2010, 06:23 PM
Someone posted that Jakob is working with a company, but perhaps he's available this fall. He and Ellinore really should have been asked.

ITA! There were some good pieces last year too. The Ellinore/Jakob Sonya Tayeh piece might lure me back to getting tickets for the tour. Though the screaming might reach new dimensions with Kent in the house.

pixie cut
08-13-2010, 06:52 PM
ITA! There were some good pieces last year too. The Ellinore/Jakob Sonya Tayeh piece might lure me back to getting tickets for the tour.

There were some very good pieces and the top six were really strong. Sadly, the season seems largely forgotten. I really liked all of them.

Ashleigh and Ryan are on tour with Burn the Floor, so thankfully they don't need work. But Ellinore and Jakob are deserving of a chance to be treated like rock stars. Also, they add some flavor to the group.

LordCirque
08-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Jakob is on tour with Bad Boys of Dance

pixie cut
08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Jakob is on tour with Bad Boys of Dance

Does the tour run all autumn? If yes, then great for him.

Then Ellinore should have been invited. Seriously, what was the top 10 worth in season six? Russell got the paycheck, so he's good. Kathryn was an all star in season seven and she'll do this tour. Everyone got exposure on the show, but no payoff in tour.

tarotx
08-13-2010, 07:40 PM
And according to her twitter, Ellenore is

Doing a Nike gig! Yay work! Gotta do stuff till I start with Janet again! :)
Mon Aug 09 2010 11:55:29 (Eastern Daylight Time) via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Bad Boys of dance schedule:
http://www.badboysofdance.com/#/2010-schedule/4535316064

Rob
08-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Bad Boys of dance schedule:
http://www.badboysofdance.com/#/2010-schedule/4535316064

Last time I looked at that schedule, they didn't have much booked in the fall. It's good that he is fully booked - maybe SYTYCD asked him and he couldn't do it.

AragornElessar
08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
First off...From The Toronto Star

Toronto Star ~ Arizona Teen Is Dance Show Winner (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/sytycd/article/847212--arizona-teen-is-dance-show-winner)

Second...YAY LAUREN!!!!! So happy she won over Kent. I wouldn't have been a happy camper at all if Kent had taken it. While he's a good dancer, he really needs to work on the goofy face pulling and portraying a character. If it hadn't been for that, then I would have been more of a fan, but that just turned me off.

Very glad Robert went as far as he did and did he ever grow as the season went on. You've also got to give it to him when they came out to discover who was in third and everyone started giggling/laughing over the costume he was in. Not only did Robert take it all in wonderful stride, but also struck a pose. LOL!!! I really think he's got a good future, as someone has said, he's got a very individual look to him. Combine that and his dancing and I think we'll be seeing him again somewhere.

Loved, loved, loved Ellen's subbing for Alex in that number, but what really made it work was that Ellen took it seriously. Yeah, it might have all started as a joke, but Ellen actually worked w/NappyTabs, learned the Choreography and did it to the best of her ability. That's what really made that piece *work* and kudos to Ellen for doing the hard work of learning the Choreo to make it work too.

BTW...After talking w/Cat, did they give Lauren a Gatorade shower? Her hair looked like it was dripping wet when Robert (?) and whomever took her around the stage on their shoulders. Just wondering....:D

So enjoyed both the little one and the brothers who did the tap dancing. Now that's how you do tapping and I hope Melinda was paying attention.

All in all...It was a pretty enjoyable season. Not the best one out of the years, but still enjoyable. Now bring on SYTYCD Canada!! :D

tarotx
08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I really loved the group Dance. Up close it's really awesome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhIm3nzeFw

Also I stumbled across this dancer Chelsea Thedinga's reel and there's a sample of Billy Bell's sudoku inspired piece. I so want to see the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOu7VnfQztg

genevieve
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
I totally missed Nigel's admissions about a "designated winner" -- guess my fan running on high drowned that out -- or more likely, I just have been tuning out most of the judges' comments.
Well, he didn't use those words of course, but Kent was on stage and Nigel was going on and said "early on, Alex was the one" and how after Alex was injured "it became Kent"...and then some blah blah about how all three of the finalists were genuine contenders. I was definitely inferring - but based on how Nigel & Co have tried to manipulate the outcomes I thought it was as close of an admission as we'll get, because honestly Alex didn't really become the front runner until the hip hop piece with Twitch.

Rob
08-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Seriously, what was the top 10 worth in season six? Russell got the paycheck, so he's good. Kathryn was an all star in season seven and she'll do this tour. Everyone got exposure on the show, but no payoff in tour.

Some of them got to do the Academy Awards so Shankman gave them a little consolation prize. 1 performance only as opposed to a whole tour as the stars.

Nigel is still talking about having a top 20 next year and then introducing All Stars when they get to 10. That works for me.

Or they could ask all alumni from Season 1-7 to come to Vegas to audition for an All Star Top 20. No age limits. They wouldn't all come, but it could be fun. Might level the playing field if Alex Wong comes back next year.

Holley Calmes
08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Ooooo....Vegas auditions for All Stars. I like it!