PDA

View Full Version : SYTYCD Aug 11/12 The Finale

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

BlueAranjuez
08-13-2010, 06:12 AM
Glad Lauren won, she worked so hard for it!

genevieve
08-13-2010, 06:29 AM
First and foremost:
YAY LAUREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She's not only the favorite but the best dancer of the season. Definitely the best woman they've had on the show, ever, and she's been fantastic since her initial audition. SO happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Random thoughts about the show (probably out of order):

- I really wish they'd done better camera work on the opening number, I liked what I was able to see. And Jose looks like he's been practicing - he kept up with Dom very well. We saw Melinda doing her thing, and I think I saw Alexie, but no Cristina? Loved that they found a way to get Alex in the number, and it didn't feel stupid or forced. Wheeeeeee Alex! :cheer2:

- Anyone else notice that no judge selected the Kent/Anya piece as a favorite? It was just shown without an intro. I think it was just to give Anya a piece - and considering how many dances she had to do, I'm glad she got one tonight, but I'd have highlighted her dance with Jose. It was better than the piece with Kent, and it was a far better dance for Jose than the hip hop with Dom. Jose has clearly been working solely on that group piece in the last few weeks, because the hip hop duet was worse than the first outing. Far worse.

- no, Adam, "Fix You" was not the piece of the season. Once again, if I wasn't told the story beforehand I would not get the emotional weight of that piece, although it's a totally competent routine and Robert performs it very well. But without the story, it's nothing special - there are plenty of better contemporary pieces this season.

- Billy and Ade - now THAT is the piece of the season (for me, anyway).

- They have Mia select a piece for Adechike's....and she spends the whole time talking about Comfort :rolleyes: Wish they'd shown Adechike and Kent's chair piece, I just loved that one.

- the setup was stupid but tap kid and tap brothers were great. both were a million times better than Melinda.

- OMG I forgot how astounding Russell's musicality is. Loved him dancing with Lil C, but I could just get lost in how that man understands music and rhythm.

- SYTYCD UK winner. It does not bode well for her that they need to use all that dry ice on the stage. She was actually fine, but that wasn't a very good piece to highlight her abilities. Plus it's Celine Dion (insert vomit graemlin). I'm sure she is better than what that piece demonstrated (oh Mandy Moore, not a good week for you is it?).

- Kent looked a bit peaked this evening, although he still gave very good performances. Both Robert and Lauren looked fresh. This is a really good top 3 - anyone who walked away from this season after Alex's injury missed a good season.

- I loved Kent/Neil's breakup number even more this time. that's a really good piece, and I love the way those two dance together.

- The Shine singer has the largest mouth I've ever seen. :eek: I really love how there is magical backup singing with no one at a mic except him.

- OMG the Ellen/Twitch number was so fab! Was way better than they ever could have done with another dancer, because they didn't try to recreate Alex's virtuosity, but Ellen did a great job nonetheless. wheeeeee

- At the end, I was prepared/expecting it to be Kent...and was totally ok with it. I haven't hated Kent as much as a lot of people have. He is a very talented dancer and he has a great career ahead of him. But zOMG Lauren!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!ponies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :swoon:

LordCirque
08-13-2010, 07:48 AM
I thought that was a forgone conclusion Kent was going to win. WOW. I'm happy Lauren won, if it couldn't have been Alex or Billy, I'm happy with Lauren.

I bet I can guess the sole reason Mia picked Fallen :sekret:

MarieM
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I am glad Kent didn't win. Whoohoo !

But the winner is there because Alex isn't :(
Bring back Alex !

tarotx
08-13-2010, 07:52 AM
The same reason Nigel picked Mad world-because they got internet backlash over the contestant in each.

I'm happy for Lauren too. She was my 3rd favorite-behind Alex and Billy <3

AYS
08-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Good winner (since we couldn't have Alex). To me, she is the best female dancer I've seen on this show. I really ended up liking Robert when all was said and done...all-in-all, considering the disappointing loss of Alex, a good season of dancing and a good finale.

flyingsit
08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Yay for Lauren!

I adored the opening group number, it was my favorite group routine of the whole season.

I would have rather seen Billy's Cats broadway routine again than the Bollywood with Robert. And the hip-hop Lauren did with Dominic rather than the one with Twitch. Mad World is, I think, my favorite routine of the season, even more than Alex's hip-hop. That hip-hop was great, and so! much! fun!, but Mad World transcends the show, transcends TV, it makes me hold my breath through the entire piece.

pixie cut
08-13-2010, 03:04 PM
I was surprisingly happy when Lauren won. Kent's overhype did him in. He certainly didn't bring his best on Wednesday. He looked kind of shocked when Cat said, "Lauren," and he sort of disappeared from the shot quickly.

I think Lauren is really good, but my favorite girl remains Jeanine.

Did you notice that when Cat was about to announce the winner she didn't say, "After 16 million votes." Wow, the voting must have been so down this year they didn't want to publicly say a number.

No Mark or Kathryn in the finale - big disappointment. The pieces they choose to spotlight are always strange. Jose totally paled in comparison to Dominic, although I'd bet they're going to do that number on tour. Maybe Jose will get better the more they do it.

The piece with Billy and Ade was the second best routine of the season. Alex and Twitch was #1 for me. But the Billy and Ade piece was spectacular. Both men are such powerful dancers in totally different ways.

So, in a season that was short on girl power a girl won. Let's hope Nigel reinvents the show again for next season AND has Lauren F back as an all star.

skatingfan5
08-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Very busy this morning, but I just had to make a quick post in this thread:

:cheer2: :cheer2: LAUREN!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: I'm so happy that she won, because she really was the best of the top 3 and I really liked her from the first weeks of the season! Robert was in good form last night and looked very upbeat in his Bollywood program; Kent did seem a bit tired/less "fresh".

Despite the downer of Alex's injury, there were quite a few good routines this season and I actually enjoyed a lot of the performances. I'm glad that they are going back to starting with a top 20 group next season -- as someone said earlier, having the contestants dance with each other for a few weeks before matching them up with the all stars is a good idea. They will get some practice and (hopefully) the weakest dancers will be eliminated before they have to dance with the pros.

DubbalinGirl
08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Kent and Neil as one of the favorite dances but instead of being the Travis routine, it is shoeless joe? Sorry, this one just does not stand out to me.

I was completely baffled by a lot of these "best of the season" choices.

Sorry, Lil C, I just don't get krump.

Or why he must show us his bare belly and chest when it's over...

Robert is in 3rd place. Poor baby had to get eliminated in Bollywood costume.

Alright, so did Kat know and spill it before she announced it, or was she just surmising and offering up an educated guess.

But the winner is there because Alex isn't :(
Bring back Alex !

Word.

No Mark or Kathryn in the finale - big disappointment.
<snip>
So, in a season that was short on girl power a girl won. Let's hope Nigel reinvents the show again for next season AND has Lauren F back as an all star.

Dude, I slowed down the DVR just to see when Mark would show up. My thumb got a workout every time he did not.... and I really would have enjoyed another shirtless Pasha number. But I guess I have YouTube for that. :wideeyes:

Of the three, I was glad Lauren won, but I think there were stronger dancers on there who, had they stayed healthy, would have made this a different finale. But still when the winner was announced I quickly flipped over to be ready Boston Medical, I didn't linger, didn't much care actually.

Holley Calmes
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
I can live with Lauren winning. I think she started out a bit competition dancerish for my taste, but she had a certain something....Richard picked her out from the very beginning. He doesn't know she won yet, and he's going to gloat and be insufferable when we watch the tivo'd version tonight. :lol:

I'm just thrilled Robert got as far as he did, because for a long time there I didn't think he'd last another week. I think Robert came on at the end big time, and I hazard a guess that 5 years from now, he'll have gone further than the others. He's unique. Kent and Lauren are really good, but they're also really "generic." They have the small, gymnastic body type that's facile for dance but frequently seen. I find them both a little bland visually. but hey-they're good.

None of them can hold a candle to Alex or Billy.

pixie cut
08-13-2010, 04:30 PM
None of them can hold a candle to Alex or Billy.

Alex was in a league of his own and I don't think anyone doubts that he would have won if he hadn't been injured.

Billy is a beautiful, quirky dancer perfect for beautiful, quirky pieces like the one with Ade, but he's not really well suited for some of SYTYCD's showy dances.

Lauren seemed the best combination of technique and personality. Although I dispute the assertion that she was the best at ballroom of all the female contemporary dancers who have ever been on the show. I give that to Kathryn, whose cha cha and samba with Ryan were fabulous.

MarieM
08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Kathryn IMO has been a lot better in her season than anything Lauren did.

This season is a disapointment without Billy or Alex in the finale anyway.

genevieve
08-13-2010, 04:45 PM
God all the people who are so :blah: on this season after Alex was injured are such killjoys.

I found it interesting that Nigel admitted that Alex was the designated winner (and then it became Kent)...but you know what, we don't know that Alex would have won. I mean, I'm assuming he would have too, but Danny didn't win his season, and I think he is still the greatest dancer ever on the show (although Alex may have changed my mind had he been there the whole season).

It feels like Lauren will be known as the SYTYCD7 winner* - with the note that Alex wasn't there, and I think that's crap. even if Kent had won, I think he would have deserved it without any caveats. they are both very good dancers who've performed at a very high level all season. Kent got more than a little help in terms of TPTB dance selection and judge fawning, but he's still a very good dancer.

I came into this season thinking it would be a disaster, and while I'm bummed about the lack of style diversity and the overall weak/generic group of women chosen, there were some really terrific dances this season and strong performances.

Holley Calmes
08-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Agree Genevieve. Just about all you said. There were some really great dances this season, and even without Alex and Billy, I enjoyed it greatly.

I also believe Kathryn is in a different league than Lauren. Kathryn is mind-blowingly good, to me. Just a personal opinion.