PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

FigureSpins
08-12-2010, 05:29 PM
What's amazing is that the lawyer's from the Legal Aid Society - he's not a high profile Madison Avenue defense attorney. He's on the ball, whoever he is, which is what Slater needs right now. (I'm an advocate of the LAS - I did some consulting for them years ago and was very impressed with their organization and staff.)

The earliest reports all said that he only cursed out the one passenger over the loudspeaker, so that didn't come from his lawyer. The early reports also said Slater took ONE beer before the Big Slide, not the sixpacks and cases that people have been claiming. Those were written reports of the incident from the NY Times and Newsradio88. ABC-NY isn't always the most reliable source for information, imo.

I hope someone outs the passenger. I think she deserves her 15 minutes of fame, too. *snicker*

skatemomaz
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Spirit Airlines (http://www.spiritair.com/Default.aspx) check out the first slide :rofl:

Yehudi
08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Reports are coming out from other passengers that he provoked the argument and was a pain the whole flight.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/08/12/general-us-flight-attendant-arrest_7847134.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

cruisin
08-12-2010, 06:53 PM
The passenger was not charged with any crime. Being rude isn't a crime. Nor, do I think they are responsible for paying for the chute deployment costs. A professional flight attendant should know better than to do what he did. There really was no justification. Someone could have been killed. The word on the talk shows yesterday was that he most likely wouldn't get any prison time, but may get fined, as well he should. Everybody in any type of customer service deals with rude people. Patients are often down right nasty, but you don't do things that can cause harm because you're fed up with your job.

Heard on the news this morning (ABC) that the woman passenger is also going to be fined. Allegedly, she brought a bag that was too big to fit into the overhead and was trying to force it in. Slater, allegedly tried to get her to check it, which caused the argument. The woman passenger then slammed the overhead door into Slater's head. I also thought I heard something about her breaking the door, but that might be wrong. In any case, this all happened in Pittsburgh, before the flight took off. Probably explains why Slater was in a pissy mood the whole flight. Anyway, from what I understand the woman passenger is allegedly looking at up to $25,000.00 in fines, herself.

Rob
08-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I actually quit my job in a fun fashion once. I was a waitress at a NY restaurant where you had to high hand carry trays of food (and this was not a formal place at all) and the kitchen was down a long narrow flight of stairs. The coffee station and the bathrooms were down there too. Most of the time, a customer would wait at the top if you were on your way up with food, but sometimes they would start down and try to push past and you'd have to back your way back down to avoid dropping plates off the tray. Definitely a pain. To get the job, they tested me carrying plates on a tray high hand both up and down.

Money was only decent the first week, but it was across the street from my apartment - 60 second commute. But I had found 2 jobs at the same time so I had some shifts already at another place with great money. I was already asked to fill in more at the other place so I probably was not going to keep both.

If you heard the food bell, you were supposed to drop everything and go get it no matter whose it was or what you were doing. Hot food goes out - makes sense, but if you are in the middle of taking an order, you were supposed to say you had to deliver food and come back. That is a little weird.

I was new at the place - it was my first week, but I was really experienced waitress so I knew that when you go downstairs, you should take as many trays as you could to get them back there. I kept taking trays down, but hardly anyone else did so every time I was down at the coffee and heard the bell, I would go in for it and no trays. After about the 10th time in a brunch shift of having to run back up to get them and down, I got fed up and hand carried the order up to put it on a tray at the top of the stairs. It was just 2-3 plates.

Owner was pretty understanding about occasional hand carrying (hot food rule), but her boyfriend was managing that day and he started screaming at me at the top of his voice red in the face "No tray, no tray, you go back downstairs and get tray" (getting shocked looks from customers sitting right there). He had been a real jerk all day and the day before screaming at other waiters and was always like that according to the rest of the staff. It was near the end of the shift so I said "oh I am so sorry, could you please hold them" and I stacked the plates in his hands, put my check book down, took off my apron and hung it around his neck, and walked out to cheers from the bartender and other waiters. You should have seen his face. Priceless.

About 10 minutes later the owner called me at home, told me she just let her boyfriend play manager, I shouldn't take him seriously, please come back to work. I said no - no-one needs to scream like that and I don't want to work for him. Waiters take all kinds of abuse in the kitchen, but to scream like that in front of the customers who paid for a meal - that is bad business and no wonder most of the waiters were new. He had to be the single biggest jerk I ever worked with and I worked with some major league jerks.

genevieve
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
That's priceless Rob! :cheer2:

About 10 minutes later the owner called me at home, told me she just let her boyfriend play manager, I shouldn't take him seriously, please come back to work.
Plus you have to question the sense of anyone who lets their boyfriend "play manager" with their business. :scream:

PDilemma
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
My mom suggested that maybe being hit on the head had something to do with his over-the-top response?? That does have an effect on some people. My brother swears like the sailor he used to be when he gets hit hard on the head---a behavior first exhibited when he had a minor concussion in junior high football and said words to the coach that mom was surprised he knew. (And, no, he does not use that language in every day life even when he's angry).

Rob
08-12-2010, 07:28 PM
That's priceless Rob! :cheer2:

Plus you have to question the sense of anyone who lets their boyfriend "play manager" with their business. :scream:

Her daughters too. Her 14 year old daughter was allowed to hostess on the weekend. She also changed the music tapes. We weren't supposed to let the music lapse so the waiters changed it during the week. The tape ran out when she was on the phone taking a reservation. Not knowing she was sensitive about it, I changed the music. She burst into tears and called her mom, who called me and said it was ok to let the music lapse on the weekend so she could change it. Little snot glared at me all day. They were a real case - the whole bunch of them.

skatingfan5
08-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Her daughters too. Her 14 year old daughter was allowed to hostess on the weekend. She also changed the music tapes. We weren't supposed to let the music lapse so the waiters changed it during the week. The tape ran out when she was on the phone taking a reservation. Not knowing she was sensitive about it, I changed the music. She burst into tears and called her mom, who called me and said it was ok to let the music lapse on the weekend so she could change it. Little snot glared at me all day. They were a real case - the whole bunch of them.How long did that restaurant stay in business? Sounds like it was rather dysfunctional in how it was run, to say the least. But perhaps the food was so sublime (or inexpensive), that the customers didn't mind. :shuffle:

rfisher
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Reports are coming out from other passengers that he provoked the argument and was a pain the whole flight.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/08/12/general-us-flight-attendant-arrest_7847134.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

This is exactly what his attorney's do not want to hear which is probably why he's going into hiding and staying out of the TV cameras. He's facing up to 7 years in prison if this went to trial. He violated Federal Law.

The reports about the passenger being fined are conflicting. Yesterday, no charges were expected to be brought against her as she didn't disrupt a flight. If he got mad at the beginning of the flight and pulled this stunt at the end, there's absolutely no excuse for his behavior. He could have just walked off the plane and said I quit. I'd sit on the jury panel for his trial.

genevieve
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
(in response to Rob and skating5's posts, not reckless')

No kidding! For all the rules that place had, the owner sure seemed to stay away from the restaurant a lot. Yeesh.

Rob
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
I think it was around 2-3 years. Not too long. It was much quieter the 3 weeknights I was there when the owner was there and the boyfriend/kids weren't. I got the job through a friend who had just started there but she only lasted a week longer than I did before she quit.

skatingfan5
08-12-2010, 09:05 PM
If he got mad at the beginning of the flight and pulled this stunt at the end, there's absolutely no excuse for his behavior. He could have just walked off the plane and said I quit. I'd sit on the jury panel for his trial.Unless the defense used one of their peremptory challenges to keep you off the panel. :shuffle: For some reason I wasn't deemed a likely sympathetic juror by the defense for an assault case. Just because I'm more than a little older than college age, doesn't mean that I haven't been around my share of bar room brawls (there usually is more than enough "guilt" to go around for all parties involved).

I don't think that this case will go to trial -- I think a plea bargain of some sort is more than likely.

Coco
08-12-2010, 09:24 PM
As much as I love this story, early on in one of the comments on "gawker.com", someone claimed to know him, said he was a former co-worker and that he was just ridiculously hard to work with.

Hmmm...

It's still hilarious, since no one got seriously hurt by the slide.

Wyliefan
08-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Spirit Airlines (http://www.spiritair.com/Default.aspx) check out the first slide :rofl:

:lol: