PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

genevieve
08-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Ah, but are you 5' 10" with very long legs?
As a matter of fact, I am exactly 5'10" with very long legs :lol:

And have you had little kids in front of you on a 6/7 hour flight slamming the seat back into your knees constantly? With parents who refuse to stop them?
Yup. I imagine most people who've flown on planes have experienced that, and more.

But until very recently I lived very close to hand-to-mouth, and economics drive most of my travel decisions. As I said, $30 for extra leg room? Sure, I can swing that now (although a year or two ago, I probably wouldn't consider it). $100 extra? Not worth it.

jeffisjeff
08-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Not too long ago, I had the option to upgrade to first class for $100. This was a 6 hour return flight, and my outbound flight had been crowded in miserable. Also, the real cost was only like $80 because first class didn't need to pay to check bags (and I decided not to get anything to eat at the airport, since I knew I'd be well fed on the plane, so that saved some additional $$). So I took the upgrade (and paid for it myself, the rest of the trip was paid for by work). I'm afraid I may now be addicted to first class. :drama:

Ironically, you're describing Jet Blue. Their standard seat pitch is one of the highest in the industry (I think it's 33" in big jets) and all of their flights have several rows with even more legroom (38"), available for purchase for an extra fee each way ($10 to $30, depending on flight length). They also have only a single class of service.

I think United has the same thing now. At least one of my recent flights had the same option. After the plane took off, some passengers in the "no leg room" seats tried to move up to the "extra leg room" seats but were stopped by the flight attendants. They were given the option of moving to the "extra leg room" seats - but they'd have to pay.

cruisin
08-11-2010, 11:23 PM
As a matter of fact, I am exactly 5'10" with very long legs :lol:

Okay, well, do you have...:lol: I give up! :lol:

Yup. I imagine most people who've flown on planes have experienced that, and more.

But until very recently I lived very close to hand-to-mouth, and economics drive most of my travel decisions. As I said, $30 for extra leg room? Sure, I can swing that now (although a year or two ago, I probably wouldn't consider it). $100 extra? Not worth it.

Honestly, whether I have extra money or not, I don't like to pay more than I have to. And I wouldn't even pay it for a east coast west coast flight. But, for international flights, it's worth it. I lucked out one time, where there were seats with extra leg room available, what a difference. I could sleep!. I don't travel much so we're not talking about spending the extra money very often.
What really irks me is when they give the extra leg room seats to families with little kids. Save them for the tall people who are willing to pay for them. I think there should be a height criteria for getting those seats! :lol:

Not too long ago, I had the option to upgrade to first class for $100. This was a 6 hour return flight, and my outbound flight had been crowded in miserable. Also, the real cost was only like $80 because first class didn't need to pay to check bags (and I decided not to get anything to eat at the airport, since I knew I'd be well fed on the plane, so that saved some additional $$). So I took the upgrade (and paid for it myself, the rest of the trip was paid for by work). I'm afraid I may now be addicted to first class. :drama:

That's pretty reasonable for the upgrade. If you elected to upgrade on a flight were they were not overbooked it would cost you $$$$$$$$$$$$!

I think United has the same thing now. At least one of my recent flights had the same option. After the plane took off, some passengers in the "no leg room" seats tried to move up to the "extra leg room" seats but were stopped by the flight attendants. They were given the option of moving to the "extra leg room" seats - but they'd have to pay.

I don't know if every airport or airline is the same. I think when we have tried to do it, we have done it on line. I think that day of, you can go on line and try to change your seats to the legroom ones. If you wait till you get to the airport or on the plane, not much chance there will be any left. Also, if you are traveling with someone, you might not be able to sit with them.

museksk8r
08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
I have empathy for the flight attendant as well. I've done plenty of flying lately and I always feel bad for them with all of the sh*t they have to put up with from bitchy passengers. Too many passengers take out their airline frustrations on flight attendants who almost always have nothing to do with the airline rules, delays, etc. I always try to be extra nice to the flight attendants on my flights because it's almost certain there are several jackasses on the flight who deserve to be shoved out the door and allowed to plummet to their deaths. I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.

Flight attendants make lousy salaries too (I've heard of some who only make $18,000/year) given all the crap they put up with. :(

I imagine they get a very different sort of grief just for being male flight attendants.

EXACTLY! I'm not surprised at all that this guy was pushed to his breaking point. :slinkaway

genevieve
08-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Okay, well, do you have...:lol: I give up! :lol:
:P

But, for international flights, it's worth it.
I definitely see your point about that - I'm trying to plan my first transcontinental trip (other than the one I took as a teenager which I barely remember), and the shorter flights are a higher priority over price. I will gladly pay a hundred bucks more for a 7-8 hour flight than for a 12-15 hour flight to the same place! :scream:

I once got bumped to 1st class when I was in college for volunteering to give up my seat when it wasn't needed. It was amazing. I told my mom afterwards that I was going to start flying first class...and then she told me how much more it would cost :scream: Needless to say, I haven't flown first class since :lol:

musicgurl
08-12-2010, 12:48 AM
My Dad's 6'4", but since he works for Air Canada, whenever he flies out from our airport his co-workers make a point of putting him in the emergency exit so he has a little extra space. Doesn't work so well flying home from other places though. The longest flights I ever had to take were Vancouver-Calgary and both times I ended up on decent sized Boeing's so I did alright. But Dash 8's are ridiculously small though, especially for someone of my Dads size.

cruisin
08-12-2010, 01:19 AM
The Boeings that Continental flies internationally are 777's and 767's. The 777's are 3-3-3 in economy and the 767's are 2-3-2 in economy. Tight, and no legroom.

BittyBug
08-12-2010, 01:42 AM
I think United has the same thing now. At least one of my recent flights had the same option. After the plane took off, some passengers in the "no leg room" seats tried to move up to the "extra leg room" seats but were stopped by the flight attendants. They were given the option of moving to the "extra leg room" seats - but they'd have to pay.United does have "extra leg room" seats, but even though the differential is the same (5"), because United starts with less leg room that Jet Blue, the bonus seats still aren't as roomy.

United is selling just about everything now. I recently paid an extra $50 for priority boarding because with the summer leisure crowds, it's like herding cattle getting on a plane.

KikiSashaFan
08-12-2010, 01:56 AM
I hate to fly. hate. But this thread is making me grateful for my other times annoying 5 foot frame :lol:

cruisin
08-12-2010, 02:07 AM
I think they should do away with seats. I think they should put rows of bunk beds. We could all fly horizontally. Three up, however many across. No seats getting pushed back to the limit so the person in front of you has their head in your lap. This could work! :D

UMBS Go Blue
08-12-2010, 05:33 AM
so the person in front of you has their head in your lap. This could work! :DEYS!!!

:grope:

:saint:

milanessa
08-12-2010, 05:36 AM
EYS!!!

:grope:

:saint:

:rofl:

Japanfan
08-12-2010, 07:23 AM
I think they should do away with seats. I think they should put rows of bunk beds. We could all fly horizontally. Three up, however many across. No seats getting pushed back to the limit so the person in front of you has their head in your lap. This could work! :D

Eys from me, as well.

And I'll add that there should be doctors on board available to sedate nervous or claustrophobic passengers. Basically, just knock them out for the duration of the flight. It would make flying far less stressful for passengers and attendants alike.

Ozzisk8tr
08-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Each one alternating one facing up, the next facing down. Mmmmmm :cool:

FigureSpins
08-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't know if anyone saw this JetBlue company blog post entitled "Sometimes the weird news is about us…"

http://blog.hellojetblue.com/blog/index.php/2010/08/11/sometimes-the-weird-news-is-about-us/

The comments are so funny - here's my favorite one:

Posted by NotRichard on August 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm .
Actually, it sounds to me like JetBlue hasn’t been UNsupportive at all. They haven’t ACTUALLY fired him from my understanding, only suspended him pending a further investigation. I like the idea of reassigning him to the corporate training department to make videos that you could show during takeoff. Give him a zoloft and a week off, maybe hook him up with the people at Heineken for product endorsements (“When I snap, I like to grab a few green ones and head for the slopes!”), and put him to work making training videos (“please return your seats to the upright position, remain seated until the captain has extinguished the seatbelt light and remember all our attendants carry curare tipped blow darts!”)