PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

allezfred
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Would it just be better to leave a little more room, take a few less passengers, don't charge for petty incidentals, and just raise the fares a little?

I'm sure that would go down very well with the airlines shareholders. :P

agalisgv
08-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Would it just be better to leave a little more room, take a few less passengers, don't charge for petty incidentals, and just raise the fares a little? We have that already--it's called first class.

UMBS Go Blue
08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Not to mention highly sophisticated pricing and demand models, run by the finance types, for all classes of service. ;)

Moto Guzzi
08-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish. In the share-your-last-straw stories (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/share-your-last-straw-stories/)submitted to the NY Times, somebody wrote about a friend who had watched a man store two bags in the overhead before going to his assigned seat in the back of the plane:
As the plane filled with passengers, the overheads filled up too. My friend helped a woman-turned out ot be his seatmate-to stow her bag in the overhead above them. To make room he had to first remove the bag stowed by the earlier passenger in the rear. My friend took that bag up to front and checked it with a flight attendant.

After the flight took off, the flight attendant came to my friend saying "Thanks for checking your bag, sir. Here's your claim ticket." to which he replied, "Oh, that was not my bag. It belongs to a guy in the back of the plane!"

FigureSpins
08-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, I didn't mean they are concerned in a good way. I meant they are only concerned with their own needs and that they are selfish.Oh, point taken. You're right and that's exactly what another person said - they have a "Me first" attitude. But it only causes "congestion" because the pushy people in front who were forced to put their bags in the back block the aisle anyway, lol.

In the share-your-last-straw stories (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/share-your-last-straw-stories/)submitted to the NY Times, somebody wrote about a friend who had watched a man store two bags in the overhead before going to his assigned seat in the back of the plane:
It's nice to know there are people who stand up for what's right and take action. Unfortunately, I always get caught trying to outfox people. The guy in the back of the plane would have tackled me as I was handing over his bag to the attendant. No wonder I lead such an honest life.

I always try to keep my carryon under the seat, but on my last flight, I brought back two pairs of skates from Klingbeils, so one bag went into the overhead. At the end of the flight, some lady tried to take my PSA skate bag, mistaking it for her own. Boy, was she surprised at the weight!

Well, the man himself is having some fun....

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...45469768806134
He's certainly making the PR rounds. Someone claimed (on that page) that they've started a defense fund, but I think that's bogus. The facebook page itself isn't his, it was started by someone else.

cruisin
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
I'm sure that would go down very well with the airlines shareholders. :P

If they still make the sama amount of money who cares.

We have that already--it's called first class.

Well, that's not quite the same. I looked at a United flight, round trip from Newark, NJ to Venice, Italy (figured I'd make it interesting). Economy is $980.00, first class is $18,257.20. I was thinking make the flights 1 or 2 hundred more not a lot of thousands more.

I was only in first class once. My daughter and I were bumped up because the flight was over booked. Husband and son had to stay in economy. It was very nice, but I cannot fathom spending that much more for a flight.

agalisgv
08-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, that's not quite the same...I was thinking make the flights 1 or 2 hundred more not a lot of thousands more. It's exactly what you proposed, so I would say it is the same. The issue is when you do what your propose, the prices go up quite a bit.

For those who want a little of what you described, but not on the level of first class, they have business class. And yet, people overwhelmingly prefer to fly coach because it's significantly cheaper and most people would rather be cramped for a few hours than pay a few hundred extra dollars. That's why the coach section of the plane is always the biggest--that's where consumer demand is.

genevieve
08-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Well, that's not quite the same. I looked at a United flight, round trip from Newark, NJ to Venice, Italy (figured I'd make it interesting). Economy is $980.00, first class is $18,257.20. I was thinking make the flights 1 or 2 hundred more not a lot of thousands more.
Well, that's the rub, innit? Airlines are losing money hand over fist. The nickel and diming they're doing is to keep flights going. I can only imagine that the price disparity between economy and first class will widen.

I'm just as hacked off as the next person at how awful air travel has become - but I think it's naive to think that airlines will opt for shuttling fewer people in better comfort with only a nominal price increase per passenger.

cruisin
08-11-2010, 07:10 PM
It's exactly what you proposed, so I would say it is the same. The issue is when you do what your propose, the prices go up quite a bit.

For those who want a little of what you described, but not on the level of first class, they have business class.

I did not suggest that the seats be like first class. I said they should give a little more leg room. They could accomplish that by removing 2 or 3 rows. That would translate to 14 - 27 seats per flight, depending on the plan seating configuration. Just divide that up. That wouldn't be anywhere near what first or business class is. Or, rip out the galleys, they don't use them for much of anything anyway. Make the leg room in coach what it used to be, even 8 years ago.

And yet, people overwhelmingly prefer to fly coach because it's significantly cheaper and most people would rather be cramped for a few hours than pay a few hundred extra dollars. That's why the coach section of the plane is always the biggest--that's where consumer demand is.

They overwhelmingly prefer it because it is not a moderate increase. And some people are more cramped than others. How tall are you? Are your knees up around your ears when you're on a plane? I fly coach because i can't afford first or business. I have no problem paying an extra $100 for the seats with extra leg room, on a long flight, but try and get one.

nypanda
08-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I was actually thinking about this last night.

Airlines don't make their money from first class OR cheap coach fares. They make it from business travel. Last minute travel that, three days before the big meeting, costs the company several hundreds, but not thousands, of dollars more than the same flight I booked three months ago for my vacation. Ce La Vie -- or so it was when I was booking travel for a large corporation.

BUT -- say there was an airline, with not as many planes in the air and maybe not as many choices of destination -- but one that valued "quality over quantity" (and advertised as such -- maybe "return to the friendly skies...") -- where-in all fares were $300-$400 more than the going super saver rate on other airlines. Businesses would take their business there...and even I would seriously consider it.

It's almost like the difference between sailing on Carnival, Celebrity, or Cunard. I'm not shelling out for Cunard...but I''' pay a little extra for NOT sailing on Carnival....

BittyBug
08-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I did not suggest that the seats be like first class. I said they should give a little more leg room. They could accomplish that by removing 2 or 3 rows. That would translate to 14 - 27 seats per flight, depending on the plan seating configuration. Just divide that up. That wouldn't be anywhere near what first or business class is. Or, rip out the galleys, they don't use them for much of anything anyway. Make the leg room in coach what it used to be, even 8 years ago.Ironically, you're describing Jet Blue. Their standard seat pitch is one of the highest in the industry (I think it's 33" in big jets) and all of their flights have several rows with even more legroom (38"), available for purchase for an extra fee each way ($10 to $30, depending on flight length). They also have only a single class of service.

I once flew from coast to coast on Jet Blue, with my return trip on the red eye. I was floored that the flight was full, yet I had my row completely to myself because apparently no one wanted to pay an extra $30 for more leg room. So I was the only one in my seat group, and was able to flip up the arm rests and lie down. Sweet.

agalisgv
08-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I was on the red eye. I was floored that the flight was full, yet I had my row completely to myself because apparently no one wanted to pay an extra $30 for more leg room. People like to travel cheaply.

Also, if one sits in the first row where there are no seats in front of you, the leg room there is substantially greater. And I don't believe you have to pay for that.

But like you said, people don't typically like to pay more for a few hours of travel. So forcing people to pay more by making every seat larger and adding amenities (which typically means more food and beverage and therefore more galleys and such) isn't much of a winner. If someone wants to pay more for that, there are options already to accommodate that (like business and first class). But very often those sections are underbooked because people would rather save the money.

genevieve
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I've never flown JetBlue - but I would pay $30 for more legroom on a coast-to-coast flight, if the base fare was comparable to other airlines. But $100 more for the amenities cruisin described? No.

BittyBug
08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
People like to travel cheaply.The round trip ticket was under $300 (coast to coast), so an extra $30 didn't seem like that much considering the length of the flight.

cruisin
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
People like to travel cheaply.

Also, if one sits in the first row where there are no seats in front of you, the leg room there is substantially greater. And I don't believe you have to pay for that.

With most major airlines, you do have to pay more now. there are certain rows of seats that have more leg room due to the plane's configuration. those seats are more money. But, they are very hard to get, because there are so few of them.

I've never flown JetBlue - but I would pay $30 for more legroom on a coast-to-coast flight, if the base fare was comparable to other airlines. But $100 more for the amenities cruisin described? No.

Ah, but are you 5' 10" with very long legs? And have you had little kids in front of you on a 6/7 hour flight slamming the seat back into your knees constantly? With parents who refuse to stop them? I thought, on the last long flight I was on, I would not be able to walk afterward. $100 on a long flight is worth it for me. I don't eat their food, I don't really need their beverages. Get rid of that stuff and make more room for tall people. People complain when they have to sit next to a very overweight person. Imagine feeling like a pretzel the whole flight :lol:.