PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

orbitz
08-10-2010, 05:33 PM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/10/jetblue-attendant-held-on-bail-as-his-lawyer-offers-details-of-flight/?hp

Mr. Slater’s court-appointed lawyer, Howard Turman, said that Mr. Slater’s activation of the slide was not reckless. He said Mr. Slater followed the proper procedure for activating the slide, checking out the window first to make sure no one was on the tarmac who could be struck by it.

Law enforcement officials said that after the passenger cursed at Mr. Slater, he grabbed the intercom, cursed her out, bid passengers goodbye, grabbed a beer, and activated the inflatable exit chute.

I love that he publicly cursed out the passenger - if she deserved it.

When asked why Mr. Slater chose to go avoid the conflict by taking the emergency slide, Mr. Turman replied, “It was right there.”

For the most part I'm on Mr. Slater side, but this excuse from the lawyer is just stupid. I'm often frustrated by the slow process of people deboarding a plane, but I can't just deploy the emergency chute and slide down on it simply, because "it was righ there."

pilgrimsoul
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Now there's a man who knows how to make a dramatic exit! ROFL

shan
08-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I love that he "bid passengers goodbye". :rofl:

NancyNC
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I love that he "bid passengers goodbye". :rofl:

I keep picturing this as his version of a "board suicide" like we have seen here from time to time. :drama:

Aaron W
08-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I hope the passenger is detained as well. As for the flight attendant, well, after twelve years in customer service jobs myself, I totally understand why he finally lost it.

I just wish I'd grabbed some beers on my way out as well. :40beers:

I have empathy for the flight attendant as well. I've done plenty of flying lately and I always feel bad for them with all of the sh*t they have to put up with from bitchy passengers. Too many passengers take out their airline frustrations on flight attendants who almost always have nothing to do with the airline rules, delays, etc. I always try to be extra nice to the flight attendants on my flights because it's almost certain there are several jackasses on the flight who deserve to be shoved out the door and allowed to plummet to their deaths. I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.

flyingsit
08-10-2010, 06:59 PM
OTOH, I hate that flight attendants do not enforce the airline's rules about carry-on bags. On a flight a few weeks ago there was one woman who put THREE bags in the overhead bins at the front of the plane, and walked to her seat near the back. The flight was (of course) delayed by the need to check bags when people who boarded later didn't have room for even one bag overhead.

cruisin
08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I hope the lady that ignored this man's instructions and cursed him out is also taken to court & fined heavily.

I hope so too. But since we haven't heard anything about her being detained or picked up, I doubt anything will happen. She deserves it though.

OTOH, I hate that flight attendants do not enforce the airline's rules about carry-on bags. On a flight a few weeks ago there was one woman who put THREE bags in the overhead bins at the front of the plane, and walked to her seat near the back. The flight was (of course) delayed by the need to check bags when people who boarded later didn't have room for even one bag overhead.

I don't really blame the flight attendants for that. Theoretically that is supposed to be done at check in. When you check in, they take your checked baggage (if you have any) and are supposed to ask what you are carrying on the plane. They, then, are supposed to determine if the bags are too big or if you have more than you are allowed. Some airlines are much better at handling this than others. Even security is supposed to keep an eye on how many bags and the size of bags you are taking on the plane. By the time the bags are carried onto the plane the attendants probably figure they've been approved. The real problem is people who take advantage. People, who just don't care about rules or other passengers. People who think they're special.

overedge
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I think on most airlines, if you bring excessive carryons (even if you got them past checkin and security) the flight attendants can require you to check the ones that are over the limit. But most airlines are so tightly scheduled that probably the flight attendants' main priority is to get everyone into their seats so the plane can leave on time.

FigureSpins
08-10-2010, 07:19 PM

That drives me nuts when the people in the back put their bags in the front compartments. If they're too heavy to carry back to your part of the plane, don't bring them on board! It just delays the flight more because the people in the front seats have to either check (as stated) or climb to the back to find a spot/retrieve their bags.

I think part of the blame for that lapse in the rules belongs with the gate attendants for letting them on board with more than the allowed pieces. The flight attendants have to balance taking off on time against dealing with an irrational flyer like the one who clocked Mr. Slater.

Winnipeg
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM

ITA :mad: I can't stand it either

cruisin
08-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I think on most airlines, if you bring excessive carryons (even if you got them past checkin and security) the flight attendants can require you to check the ones that are over the limit. But most airlines are so tightly scheduled that probably the flight attendants' main priority is to get everyone into their seats so the plane can leave on time.

Yes, I'm sure that is part of it as well. They are distracted by doing what they are actually supposed to do :D.

That drives me nuts when the people in the back put their bags in the front compartments. If they're too heavy to carry back to your part of the plane, don't bring them on board! It just delays the flight more because the people in the front seats have to either check (as stated) or climb to the back to find a spot/retrieve their bags.

I don't know that it is necessarily that the bags are too heavy to carry back. I think many people just put their bags in the first empty compartments they find. They are concerned that the ones further back are full and they want to get their stuff in.

I think part of the blame for that lapse in the rules belongs with the gate attendants for letting them on board with more than the allowed pieces.

Yes, but I think 99% of the blame is the passengers. They just don't care about other people.

Winnipeg
08-10-2010, 07:27 PM
People who get up before the plane docks..............:lynch::lynch:what idiots. Everyone knows you are not supposed to do this and really, you will save no time in the end so why do it????

This gy will really have a great story to tell after he gets a new job. Or, maybe they won't fire him given the situation.

Norlite
08-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Or, maybe they won't fire him given the situation.

Oh, I'm pretty sure he's a goner.

cruisin
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
With all of this publicity, he's probably never going to get a job in the airline industry again.

FigureSpins
08-10-2010, 07:54 PM
I don't know that it is necessarily that the bags are too heavy to carry back. I think many people just put their bags in the first empty compartments they find. They are concerned that the ones further back are full and they want to get their stuff in.
I've done "early boarding" a few times and watched as jerks with two bags get on the plane, open the forward compartments (even dumping out the pillows/blankets to make room), shove their stuff in and waltz down the aisle to the back of the most-empty plane. They're not concerned - they're selfish.