PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

jeffisjeff
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
It seems to me that kids need to be trained to pay attention to how they might be interfering with those around them. When I am out with my kids, I am quite conscious of whether they could be getting in someone's way or doing something that would bother others. I'm constantly prompting them to watch out, keep their voice down, etc. That said, it is a work in process (especially for my younger child), so I suppose we do need the occasional "excuse me". It seems to me that, yes, parents should try to control their kids in public, but at the same time the "public" should realize that this isn't a perfect process and that parents can only do so much (unless you want them to lock their kids up).

cruisin
08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure why people expect that every large group or people moving abreast with shopping carts or children running around should automatically always immediately be thinking about everything around them and know immediately to move or change when someone else is around but saying "Excuse me" is apparently too much to ask of the other person...

I don't expect anyone to do anything that I wouldn't do myself. If I were in a big group, taking up the whole sidewalk and I saw someone approaching from the opposite direction, and it was clear there would not be enough room for them to pass, I would drop back and make room for them. It's hard to say excuse me in situations like that, you'd have to yell it from 5 feet away. And I can't tell you how many times I have said excuse me and the person doesn't move and I have to ask numerous times. People with carts and children should always be aware of what is around them. Especially with children. If only for the reason that their kids could get hurt or snatched. The thing that gets me the most is parents who let their kids push the grocery carts. They slam into shelves, knock over free standing set ups, crash into people. And the parents just blithely go about their own business. I did not allow my kids to do those things. I was completely aware of what my kids were doing, when we were in a public place. If my child became disruptive or rude I dealt with it. If I went to a mall and my child started crying and could not be easily calmed, I left. Not only is it unfair to the other people in the mall to hear a child screaming, it is unfair to the child. My kids didn't throw temper tantrums in public places, because they knew better. I am always amazed when child is having a temper tantrum and the parent is negotiating with them: if you stop, I'll buy you... Are they serious? Let's reward bad behavior.

skatingfan5
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure why people expect that every large group or people moving abreast with shopping carts or children running around should automatically always immediately be thinking about everything around them and know immediately to move or change when someone else is around but saying "Excuse me" is apparently too much to ask of the other person...Well, I do admit that I didn't think that a group walking three abreast would keep on walking right up to within less than two feet in front of me, until I sidestepped into the oncoming traffic on one of the busiest streets in town. If I had said "excuse me" it would have been after one of them had walked into me .. unless I was supposed to know that they would be so rude/careless/oblivious/whatever as to run someone off the sidewalk and taken the initiative to shout out ahead "EXCUSE ME!" when they were approaching. I don't assume ahead of time that people are going to act so inappropriately, so I don't shout out to every group walking 3 or 4 abreast that is approaching.

ETA: I see that crusin has some similar thoughts. Maybe we should start yelling out "excuse me!" when encountering groups spread across the entire sidewalk. It seems that "defensive walking" is becoming necessary.

purple skates
08-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure why people expect that every large group or people moving abreast with shopping carts or children running around should automatically always immediately be thinking about everything around them and know immediately to move or change when someone else is around but saying "Excuse me" is apparently too much to ask of the other person...

I agree with cruisin. Unless the person is trying to plow through the middle of the group (which would be rude), the persons on the side of the group closest to where the person is coming towards them should shift over to give them room to pass. It's simple manners.

agalisgv
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I guess I'm thinking of when you are walking behind a group, but faster than they and you want to pass. A simple 'excuse me' isn't difficult.

skatingfan5
08-18-2010, 04:24 PM
I agree with cruisin. Unless the person is trying to plow through the middle of the group (which would be rude), the persons on the side of the group closest to where the person is coming towards them should shift over to give them room to pass. It's simple manners.It's also common sense ... at least in my mind.

genevieve
08-18-2010, 04:32 PM
It is really a pet peeve of mine when people coming toward you on the sidewalk don't adjust to accommodate a single person walking toward them.

jeffisjeff
08-18-2010, 04:34 PM
You folks wouldn't survive on a college campus! :lol:

purple skates
08-18-2010, 04:35 PM
I guess I'm thinking of when you are walking behind a group, but faster than they and you want to pass. A simple 'excuse me' isn't difficult.

In that case, I agree with you. The people in the group wouldn't know someone wanted to get by unless notified. :)

Satellitegirl
08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
It is really a pet peeve of mine when people coming toward you on the sidewalk don't adjust to accommodate a single person walking toward them.

I enjoy continuing to walk and knocking them silly when I bump into them. I just pretend I don't see them, but of course I'm ready for it when I knock into them, and they aren't, so it throws them off :D Evil amirite?

cruisin
08-18-2010, 04:43 PM

Well, that is different. They can't see you. And if you come up behind them, it is your choice to ask them politely to excuse you, and pass them, or to just slow down and stay behind them. I have to do that a lot, long legs make me faster than most :lol:. I can't expect people to know what I am doing behind them, but then I am not forced into the street in that situation. Though, there have been times I've said excuse me, no one moves, excuse me, no one moves, they are oblivious, so I do go into the street to get around them.

But, as has been said, if I'm coming from the other direction and the group is not passable without going into the street, it is up to the group to make room.

I also get very upset when I see two or more people (adults/kids/adults with kids) running, walking, or riding bikes 2/3 abreast on the street. We don't have sidewalks in many areas here. The roads are very hilly and winding, and the speed limits are 45 on many of them. I have slammed on my breaks numerous times because I've come around a bend and there are people in the middle of the street. Where is common sense? They can hear a car coming, you can't see them, and they don't move over. Guess who's screwed if someone gets hit.

skatingfan5
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
You folks wouldn't survive on a college campus! :lol:I AM on a college campus -- who do you think are the folks forcing me off the sidewalk? I'll give you one guess -- and it isn't mothers with strollers. :lol:

cruisin
08-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I enjoy continuing to walk and knocking them silly when I bump into them. I just pretend I don't see them, but of course I'm ready for it when I knock into them, and they aren't, so it throws them off :D Evil amirite?

:lol:

jeffisjeff
08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
I AM on a college campus -- who do you think are the folks forcing me off the sidewalk?

The faculty? ;)

skatingfan5
08-18-2010, 05:30 PM
The faculty? ;)I suppose that could be ... though usually they aren't under age 20 and don't wear shorts and halter tops on campus. :P But I guess I shouldn't assume they aren't some new breed of 21st century faculty. :shuffle: