PDA

View Full Version : Flight Attendants Swears at Passenger over Loudspeaker...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

cruisin
08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Ah, but (IMO) flight attendants are different. I was one for 5 years. Granted it was in the Air Force (yes there is such an AF job) but one of the primary requirements is to be able to keep your cool. If you can't handle complaining/rude/snarky pax how can you be expected to react properly in a true emergency? After all, that's their main reason for being onboard.

I do see where flight attendants would need to be more able to keep their emotions out of a conflict. But, I do think that when a passenger is causing a problem for other passengers and the flight attendant, the passenger should be dealt with. Maybe planes need a time out section :D.

That's not really the meaning of that phrase. It means you always treat the customer like they are right because telling them they are wrong doesn't really keep them as a customer. If you're doing customer service, it helps a whole lot to keep that in mind. But you always know that it really means, "the customer is always right even when he/she is wrong."

I think that "the customer is always right" if valid, if it is with respect to what the customer wants. I think that the service person can advise, but ultimately, the customer should get what they believe is right. However, I do not think the phrase was meant to absolve abusive customers (which I don't believe you think either). Shops just need people like me around to stand up to the abusive customer. I'm another customer, I can tell a customer who is out of line to pound salt! :lol:

milanessa
08-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I do see where flight attendants would need to be more able to keep their emotions out of a conflict. But, I do think that when a passenger is causing a problem for other passengers and the flight attendant, the passenger should be dealt with. Maybe planes need a time out section :D.

Oh, they absolutely need to be dealt with. Swearing, deploying emergency equipment and drinking beer ain't the way.

Karina1974
08-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, I wish they would too. Especially since the CS person really can't defend themself. If the customer complains, they risk getting fired. The whole "customer is always right" thing, is wrong. Yes, the customer should be able to get what they want, but they have no right to treat the person helping them like they are beneath them.

That's one thing I liked about working for the bank -- that there is something called "bank policy" that can keep the customer in check. And if the customer started giving me a hard time, especially after I had explained why what they wanted me to do was impossible and could get me fired, I would go and get the head teller or the branch manager to deal with the customer. And my BM was a take-no-shit kind of woman who made exceptions for no one.

Take insurance checks. We were not allowed to cash insurance checks for any amount, didn't matter whether they were for $5.00 or $500, the reason being is that insurance checks are not considered to be guaranteed funds. The customer had to deposit the check, wait for the check to completely clear (which would take a couple of days), and then make a withdrawal from their account.

And then there was one woman who would come in whining about how she overdrew her account because we weren't putting in her Direct Deposit paycheck early enough. Problem is, it's the bank where the funds are coming from that controls when the $$ gets transferred, not the bank where it's going to, and the source bank has all day to make the transfer.

cruisin
08-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Take insurance checks. We were not allowed to cash insurance checks for any amount, didn't matter whether they were for $5.00 or $500, the reason being is that insurance checks are not considered to be guaranteed funds. The customer had to deposit the check, wait for the check to completely clear (which would take a couple of days), and then make a withdrawal from their account.

Off topic, but my bank lets me cash an unguaranteed check, if I have enough in my account to cover it, should it bounce. They actually do an "on paper" holding withdrawal from my account, in the amount of the check. Then when the check clears, they put it back.

Karina1974
08-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Off topic, but my bank lets me cash an unguaranteed check, if I have enough in my account to cover it, should it bounce. They actually do an "on paper" holding withdrawal from my account, in the amount of the check. Then when the check clears, they put it back.

The bank I worked for would do that with any other check drawn on an outside account except insurance checks. Those had to be deposited, no exceptions.

cruisin
08-17-2010, 08:14 PM
The bank I worked for would do that with any other check drawn on an outside account except insurance checks. Those had to be deposited, no exceptions.

That is interesting. Are insurance checks notoriously iffy?

AragornElessar
08-18-2010, 03:27 AM
Anyhow, you mentioned some different issues, with parental response to others being one. I would add to that other people's responses to parents. I get the sense that some believe children are perfectly controllable, and if children aren't behaving perfectly, it's because the parents have chosen for them to be that way. Sometimes little children are simply difficult to deal with no matter what you do. And in any type of public transport, one has to deal with the public--including children. Sometimes I get the sense that some people feel they are entitled to a flight without annoyances. I find that a tad unrealistic. If you fly a public flight, you'll have to deal with the public. So instead of taking offense at every annoyance, try to either help the situation or not get worked up over it.

:shrug:

It's lovely you have this view, and it is *your* view, but by God Almighty it is NOT reality these days. There are so many parents out there these days that believe their precious little Prince or Princess can do no wrong and allow them to do whatever on a flight/train/bus. As someone said, obviously this behaviour's allowed at home or their little terrors would not be acting that way in Public.

I don't feel entitled to a journey w/out annoyances, but there are annoyances that are not okay and not only that, but are also a very real danger to fellow travellers and/or attendants. Such as a Flight Attendant dealing w/all of the bumps and whatever during a flight, keeping their balance and handing out very hot beverages and *then* having a kid running up and down the aisles w/out Mommy or Daddy giving a care even after being asked to keep their child in their seat. Even though their Darling hitting the Flight Attendant in some manner on their wild charge up the aisle could end up buring someone due to a hot beverage ending up going flying thanks to said impact is a very real possiblity.

I do feel entitled to a SAFE journey and you can't tell me that kids running wild during whatever form of Travel you're experiencing is something that helps w/that. I've seen things that parents have allowed to happen that has scared me a few times over the years. Such as when a kid had a laser pointer on a Greyhound bus I was on to Toronto one time and after the Driver asking the Mother to take it from the kid, who was flashing the Driver's Mirrors w/the thing, he ended up having to pull over and take it from the kid.

This was after four attempts by the Driver telling the Mother to take it and put it away. Of course instead of common sense coming into play, it ended up producing quite the scene from the Mother. It was when the Driver told her precisely why he'd done what he'd done and we gave him an Howling Ovation that she finally shut up. Didn't stop pouting or bitching about all of us horrible people under her breath though.

I do love though that one person doesn't think things are quite that bad these days. If you'd like to experience a real crash course on just how bad people can be, I've got an extra/stand by White Cane in my closet.

Just for example...

Kids running in and out of my swings and the parents do nothing. Unless their little darling gets nipped. Then I get jumped on.

Parents who pull their kids out of my way when I'm not even close to them and yelling, "Don't you dare you hurt my child!!!"

People who will switch from English to a different language and then switch back after I've walked past them.

and...And this particular piece of stupidity has happened TWICE over the years. Once was mindboggling enough...

People coming up right up to me w/in an inch or two of me, give me a nasty look and then walk away.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I am starting to hate people who text and walk w/a passion these days, but that's a topic for a different place....

Don't get me wrong, there are good people out there who also try to educate their kids when they see me, but sadly, I'm finding I'm thanking these people afterwards. Just because they are so few and far between anymore.

Anyway, my offer stands. I doubt you'll take it though.

agalisgv
08-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Anyway, my offer stands. I doubt you'll take it though. How about I trade you my child's wheelchair and augmentative communications system for your white cane? I know my son would kill for one day to be able to walk and talk--heck, to even be able to use his arms for a couple hours.

We all have our struggles.

cruisin
08-18-2010, 04:30 AM
I've got an extra/stand by White Cane in my closet.

Just for example...

Kids running in and out of my swings and the parents do nothing. Unless their little darling gets nipped. Then I get jumped on.

Parents who pull their kids out of my way when I'm not even close to them and yelling, "Don't you dare you hurt my child!!!"

I just want to be sure I am understanding you. Are you blind? White Cane usually means that.

How about I trade you my child's wheelchair and augmentative communications system for your white cane? I know my son would kill for one day to be able to walk and talk--heck, to even be able to use his arms for a couple hours.

Ag, I don't think everyone understands your situation.

Another adult issue. I went to a book store today. There was a young woman 25ish coming out the door, reading what she had obviously just purchased. She is coming out the glass door, I see her at the door and wait for her to come out. She sort of leans against the door but stops. I keep waiting and after about 2 minutes I take the door handle and slowly start to open the door. She is sort of half a$$ed pushing and doesn't realize I am assisting with the door opening. She then turns and walks right into me, still reading her book, not looking where she is going at all. Looks at me and says in a very snotty way excuse me and rolls her eyes. Probably texts while she drives.

It is the same mentality as people in malls or on sidewalks walking 3/4/5 abreast and when they see someone coming from the opposite direction, they don't fall back and make room. Or women who walk through malls and grocery stores side by side with strollers or carts and don't move if you are coming from the other direction. What happened to common courtesy?

agalisgv
08-18-2010, 04:40 AM
It is the same mentality as people in malls or on sidewalks walking 3/4/5 abreast and when they see someone coming from the opposite direction, they don't fall back and make room. Or women who walk through malls and grocery stores side by side with strollers or carts and don't move if you are coming from the other direction. What happened to common courtesy? I don't know--I just say, "Excuse me" and people move and I pass by. When people are in a group, they take up space. I don't begrudge that. Having to navigate streets and sidewalks with a wheelchair, you get used to saying, "Excuse me" a lot. And offhand I can't think of a time when people haven't moved.

That's not to say people are great on disability issues (but that's another conversation).

It's just been my experience that people tend to respond reasonably when gently reminded/prodded. That's not always the case, but I think it's often the case. That's all I can say.

shan
08-18-2010, 05:13 AM
It's just been my experience that people tend to respond reasonably when gently reminded/prodded. That's not always the case, but I think it's often the case. That's all I can say.

Who wants to have to remind/prod people in the first place? That's the point, its irritating after awhile to be constantly encountering people who are either completely oblivious or too self absorbed to be considerate human beings....

agalisgv
08-18-2010, 05:27 AM
At some point, everyone spaces out, gets lost in their thoughts, walk in the middle rather than the side of a sidewalk/escalator, blocks an entry, etc. I don't attribute that to selfishness, but rather normal behavior that we all engage in from time to time.

It is what it is, and I don't think it's a big deal.

cruisin
08-18-2010, 05:58 AM
At some point, everyone spaces out, gets lost in their thoughts, walk in the middle rather than the side of a sidewalk/escalator, blocks an entry, etc. I don't attribute that to selfishness, but rather normal behavior that we all engage in from time to time.

I'm sorry Ag, but I don't see it as normal careless behavior. I see it as a lack of courtesy. Yes, If I say excuse me, most times people will move out of the way, though often I have to say it 5/6/7/8 times. But, when walking down the sidewalk and there are 3/4 people coming toward you in a group, and they don't make room and you have to step into the street to get around them - that's rude. I always hold doors for people, but the numbers of people who don't anymore is astonishing. I always - after you - people, no one says thank you anymore. People go tearing around texting, not looking where they are going. People go into grocery stores' atrium and stop to fuss with their kids or purses and their carts block everyone else from getting in, regardless of weather. I'm not a good old days sort of person, but there is a sense of entitlement today that was not there 15 years ago.

Gil-Galad
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM

It is what it is, and I don't think it's a big deal.

I totally agree with this one. I don't text or phone, or use an mp3-player when I walk - but I tend to be rather clumsy and get lost in my thoughts very easily. E.g. when there is a pretty flower near the pavement, I am all like "Oh, pretty flower. I love the colour scheme. What kind of flower is it? I have to look it up at home..." By the time I am done admiring the flower, it is quite possible that a woman with a stroller is standing behind me, waiting for me to continue walking. I'll apologise, flash her a beaming smile - and most people tend to be really forgiving.

Same with people who block my way - I am just friendly, I smile at them and gently ask them to let me through. Most of the time I get a positive response. Heck, sometimes these situations even result in a great conversation.

michiruwater
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm not sure why people expect that every large group or people moving abreast with shopping carts or children running around should automatically always immediately be thinking about everything around them and know immediately to move or change when someone else is around but saying "Excuse me" is apparently too much to ask of the other person...